GO!

Is my cat a Russian Blue (mix)?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Magnolia

Purred: Sun Dec 19, '10 11:37pm PST 
When I adopted my cat, Magnolia, the previous "care takers" claimed she was a Russian Blue and was the sister of another cat I adopted at the same time (I didn't want to break them up, as they seemed very close). Except, she is quite a bit different from her "brother", as she has a little thicker coat, which has white and orange in it. I am pretty confident that her "brother" is a Russian Blue, but is most likely a mix and not a pure Blue.
[notify]

Shadow

Purred: Tue Mar 15, '11 6:16am PST 
I often wonder the same thing, I think my "Shadow" is russian blue and Bobcat. He weighs almost 20 lbs. Does anyone know if Russian Blues are known for large males? He is neutered as well.
[notify]

Dante

Mom`s- Blue - Boy!!

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 7:52am PST 
I have a Russian Blue & Domestic short hair mix.. He is 14 pounds, and only 10 months old.

I`m also wondering if it`s the Russian Blue that makes him a big boy.

Edited by author Tue May 10, '11 7:53am PST

[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Tue Jun 21, '11 5:20pm PST 
I've had two blue mixes -- both males. My bridge baby, Felix, was usually between 14 and 15 pounds. And while Coop has a much smaller frame than Felix, he's extremely long and weighs 13.

Traidtionally, true blues are known for being medium-sized cats, so I'm guessing their size is probably a reflection of whatever other breeds they've got in them! smile

Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

Koney

super scoot...

Purred: Fri Jul 29, '11 8:23pm PST 
Koney appears to be a russian Blue mix too! 15 pounds is the ideal weight. 22 was the max. Koney is hovering at 15.5...Why are they so big? Koney is a very long cat. I thought it was an Ann Arbor thing???
[notify]

Rainey

Purred: Tue Aug 23, '11 8:53pm PST 
No. If the cat's sibling has a very different appearance, then it is NOT a Russian Blue. Many people mistakenly think a Russian Blue is a term for a gray cat but it is much more than that. It is a pedigree cat just like the Persian. If ALL of the litter were solid gray with green eyes, then it might be a Russian Blue.
[notify]

Bluzee

Purred: Mon Nov 18, '13 7:29pm PST 
I also wonder if Bluzee is all Russian Blue , he has all the traits except the green eyes.
[notify]