GO!

Why do people in cat shows toss Persians up and down?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sat Apr 5, '08 10:11am PST 
This might sound like a really quirky question, but I've been in a lot of cat shows recently (yawn), and I notice that owners carry their cats to the judging rings in different ways according to breed. We Maine Coons are carried in a stretched out position (one hand behind the front legs, one in front of the back legs), perhaps because this is the way the judge holds the cat to see if it has the standard, long-torsoed body, but also to keep the carefully-groomed fur from getting mussed. Persian owners, however, carry their little fluffballs (sorry! Love you guys!) with one hand in a v-shape behind the front legs, presumably not to muss the grooming. But I've noticed a lot of owners tossing their Persians up and down like a puffball--perhaps to fluff out the fur? This could be a local custom (we're not in the U.S.), because an American judge expressed displeasure and puzzlement at this. Any information from Persian owners who show their cats would be appreciated. wave
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Tue Apr 8, '08 12:09am PST 
Really, this is a serious question. Nor is it a criticism. I could ask some of the Persian exhibitors I meet at shows, but if you've ever been to a show, you know that exhibitors are usually rushing their cat to the next ring, and don't have any time to stop to answer dumb questions.
[notify]

George

mr planteater

Purred: Tue Sep 16, '08 8:50pm PST 
i would be disgusted if they tossed me up and down in a show!
the proper way to handle a Persian is the same as the proper way to handle any cat, to provide for security and safety of the cat!
human paws should be under some portion of the front and some portion of the back legs
little contact may be desirable to keep the grooming nice but the first consideration should be the safety of the cat: smile
[notify]