Postings by Smudge

GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Raw Food Diet > Chicken is off the menu.... Sigh
Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Wed Aug 10, '11 4:33am PST 
None of my cats will touch chicken thigh any more, so I stopped even bothering. They have instead decided that breast meat is the way to go. I feel like I'm giving them Wonder Bread instead of whole wheat.

Also, they will sometimes eat chicken necks, sometimes not...sometimes eat chicken gizzards, sometimes not, same with hearts. Nothing can convince them to touch wings or drumsticks. But, they love game hens which are really the same thing. Go figure.shrug
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Allen, Oct 11 4:28 pm

Cat Health > Kitten Vaccinations
Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Wed Dec 8, '10 4:20am PST 
Our vet will not give vaccines to kittens/cats that are sick. Smudge got his vaccines more than a month after Shade even though they are the same age because he developed a URI and fever right after adopting him that took a long time to resolve. Is this not the protocol followed by most vets?

Purrs,
Smudge
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Finnegan (Finney), Dec 8 10:28 am

Kitten Corner > Ozzie has Huge Paws

Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Fri Nov 5, '10 4:36pm PST 
When Smudge was a kitten both his paws and tail were really big/long. The people at the vet's office even commented on the size of them. Today, at 2 years of age, he is huge and weighs over 17 lbs. He is absolutely not at all fat either.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Smudge, Nov 5 4:36 pm

Behavior & Training > \'Bugs!\' Any of your kitties know a certain word?

Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Fri Nov 5, '10 4:10am PST 
All 3 of our cats know "come", "dinner", "meats" (they are mostly raw fed), "walk time", "sit", "up-up" (jump up on something), "Boys, I'm home", and I'm sure there are others that I'm just not thinking of.

Smudge especially knows "Time to wake up Daddy" and runs with me to the bedroom and jumps on the bed. He also knows "where's your bunny leg?" and "where's sister?" when he should look for his human sister.

Chaucer especially does NOT know the word "No".

Purrs,
Smudge
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Bastet, Nov 28 7:15 am

Behavior & Training > Attacking the food out of my hand?

Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Thu Nov 4, '10 6:15am PST 
Hopefully they will just outgrow this phase since they are only 3 months old, but here are two suggestions.

First, if you feel like spending the time, you can clicker train them to sit while they wait for their food to be put down. This option will take time though, definately not an instant fix.

A faster option would be just to put them in another room with the door closed and after you put their food down, let them out. Or, if there is another adult around, have them hold the kittens until the food is down.

Purrs,
Smudge
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mischief/Trouble, Nov 4 1:45 pm

Behavior & Training > I'm at wits end..my cat won't stop crying!!
Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Wed Nov 3, '10 10:35am PST 
I agree with Apollo. Kittens usually don't like to be seperated from everyone else at night.

I also agree that she should just be fed when it is meal time no matter what she's up to at that momment. Have set meal times and stick to them. She'll learn what those times are. Since you say that she starts meowing up to 2 hours before you feed her and often afterwards too, maybe the anticipated food isn't the reason for her being so vocal anyway.

I know you said that she likes playing with her doggie brother, but could she possibley be bored? Does she have a cat tree? Do you actively play with her several times a day? Would you consider getting a second kitten to be her friend?

Best of luck!

Smudge
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by littleboy, Dec 8 9:18 pm

Behavior & Training > Eating WAY too fast

Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Wed Nov 3, '10 10:22am PST 
Hi Chance! If his quick eating is not causing any stomache upset, then I personally wouldn't worry about it unless it's causing him to want to steal food from his brothers.

My cats are mostly raw fed and Smudge can plow through his portion very quickly. He used to try to steal Shade's food, so I had to hang around and keep an eye on them, but he's mostly given up on that now.

If you want to expand on the raw a bit, you could try to give him an rmb (eg. chicken wing, game hen quarter, rabbit ribs, etc.)on occasion. It takes a cat more time to work it's way through one of those than just chunks of meat or wet food.

Purrs,
Smudge
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Smudge, Nov 3 10:22 am

Behavior & Training > anyone else still like to suckle??

Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Fri Jul 9, '10 7:25am PST 
I just turned 2, and I'm definately a manly cat, but I still love to suckle on my no-fur sister's pink blanket on her bed. The best time is right when she goes to bed so that I can keep her from falling asleep; I like her to pat me while I suckle.

My brother Chaucer, who just turned 1, has to knead on Mommy every night, sometimes just when she goes to bed and sometimes he likes to wake her up at 3:00 a.m. so he can do it. He loves most to bury his nose in her armpit, but he doesn't actually suckle.

Purrs,
Smudge
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Aug 5 7:24 pm

Food & Nutrition > Feeding Schedule :S

Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Mon Jun 7, '10 3:46am PST 
Hi Mocha, congrats on getting a home!

I feel that if you want to transition to set feeding times you just have to do it.

Pick the times that you want to feed and how often you want to feed. I personally feed 3x/day, once in the a.m., once around 3:00 p.m. when I get home from work, and once later in the evening. Put down each cat's portion, they should each have their own bowl and their own set spot to eat, and let them eat. If you don't have food down all the time they will learn to come and eat when you do put the food down.

You can keep the food down for, say, 30 minutes and if they don't eat it, pick it back up. Do this for both the dry and canned foods.

You'll probably have to watch them while they are eating if you are concerned about them stealing from eachother. I almost always watch my guys because Smudge will be happy to finish up his brother's food for them even if they are still eating it.

Please realize that your cats might not be very happy about this new development and will try to convince you to feed them when they want to be fed; cats can be very manipulative. Assuming that they are all getting food and remain healthy, stick with your resolve to set the feeding times.

Purrs,
Smudge
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Munchie, Jun 8 7:20 pm

Behavior & Training > Words your cat understands/responds to
Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Mon May 24, '10 4:18am PST 
I've read that about blinking too; cat's supposedly slowly blink at eachother to express affection. I've tried this a bunch of times with my cats, but they don't seem to get it.

My cats understand "meats" (they are raw fed), "come", "sit", "go outside", "up", "down", "boys, I'm home", and a few others that I can't think of at the momment. But sometimes they seem to understand whole sentences because they will act totally appropriately to what I said; this totally amazes me.

It also seems that cats understand body language and events really well and don't need to have a spoken language in common with us to get what's going on. Also, they are very good at trying to manipulate a situation with their own actions and body language.

Purrs,
Smudge
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Con, May 27 11:37 pm

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.