GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Choosing the Right Cat > A new kitten and an older cat
Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:22pm PST 
I have a question.

I am planning on adopting a kitten this summer as a companion to my eight year old cat Oracle. Oracle lost her kitty companion of many years in February and went through a process of mourning (even though the cats did not really get along, they gave each other a respectful distance, but my older cat Serabe who was 10 when I adopted Oracle as a 2 year old was something of a pistol and fought with Oracle often). Both females, with Serabe being the alpha and Oracle the submissive one. After Serabe died, I discovered to my surprise that Oracle is not a one person cat and obviously she needs a friend/foe/someone like her.

Here's the question, is it better to adopt a kitten into a home with a more senior cat than to adopt an older cat who also has a history? Would Oracle be more accepting of a kitten who isn't bigger and older than she is? Oracle has medical problems (hyperthyroid and occasional bouts with kitty flu that she picked up in her former home) as well as mental (she was a rescue from an abuse situation) but she is a gentle soul and "a little lady" as my mother calls her.

Any advice would be wonderful, thank you.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jack, Apr 4 9:12 am

Grooming > Has anyone tried Pedi Paws Nail Trimmer?
Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Fri Mar 27, '09 3:17pm PST 
Mummy used that on me and Oracle yesterday, the motor doesn't bother me but the thought of trimming my nails does. Oracle wasn't too happy with it, then again she's scared of her own shadow, lol.

Serabe and Oracle's owner: to be honest it's kind of hard to get a handle on it at first and get an even blunt edge to the claws. But it seems to be easier on their claws than the run of the mill cat nail clipper (it dosen't squish the nail, only trims the edge) where you run the risk of running into the quick. It looks easier on tv to be honest.

My vote is still out on it.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Aspen, Mar 29 4:26 pm

Behavior & Training > I like feet (but my Mum does not)

Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Mon May 28, '07 12:40pm PST 
Thank you I appreciate the advice.

I have tried discouraging her, but she still does it. I may try the spray bottle avenue because she is a bit of a hard head when it comes to these things.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shadow, May 28 1:36 pm

Behavior & Training > I hate my sister!

Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Sun Dec 24, '06 3:00pm PST 
Some cats get along, some don't. It just takes time, with some cats, lots of time.

Sometimes I like to hunt and tree my adopted sister Oracle just for fun, but I still don't like her. Sometimes we chase eachother, which I like until I feel that I am losing and then I hiss at Oracle to go away. We have been living together since May and slowly things are starting to settle down, even though I don't like her to come in Mama's bedroom and I don't like her near my toys or my food. To keep Mama from getting angry at me (because I so love to chase/bite/scratch Oracle) I just tolerate her existance....sometimes.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Serabe', Dec 24 3:00 pm

Behavior & Training > Which Litter Do you like????? Indoor Cats Only

Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Thu Jun 22, '06 7:02pm PST 
Feline-pine. That's the only litter I prefer, keeps the smells at bay and keeps my sister Oracle out of my box (because she prefers the johnny cat).
[notify]

» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by Matilda, Aug 22 6:42 pm

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > What music does your cat like?
Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Thu Jun 22, '06 6:58pm PST 
Serabe' likes the Beatles, but only their early stuff (before 1965), picky thing she is. Heh.

As for Ori, I'm not sure yet, she likes to hang around the apartment like a hippie-cat, so she might just like anything.
[notify]

» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by Lil' Billy, Dec 15 12:58 am

Grooming > My first bath - Help!

Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Tue May 23, '06 12:59pm PST 
Tell your Momma to be very gentle before putting you in the sink, once in the sink tell her to turn the water on and to keep it at a warm, but not too hot and not a strong flow of water. Tell her to hold your front paws with one hand and bathe you with the other hand and to give you reassuring pats and kisses, I know this keeps me comfortable and keeps me from jumping out of the sink. Tell her to put vaseline around the outside of your eyes or if not just be careful not to get the water in your eyes. My Mum just washes my head carefully, keeping the water well away from my eyes, nose and mouth. I don't so much mind the getting wet part, it's the wash down after the soaping up that I don't much care for.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Karma, May 30 8:43 am

Grooming > Bathing... how often is too much?

Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Tue May 23, '06 12:48pm PST 
I do it twice a year for Serabe', once in spring, once in fall (that is if she dosen't get into something or I find out she's become smelly for whatever reason), she has long hair and twice a year baths and daily brushes keep her fur soft and untangled and flea free. My other cat Oracle, I gave her a bath on her arrival because of an accident she had in the carrier on the way to my place. I did that because I didn't want the poop smell all over my couches and at that time she seemed to scared to do the cleaning job herself.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Serabe', May 23 12:48 pm

Behavior & Training > Some advice needed new cat/new home/older cat

Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Tue May 16, '06 11:53pm PST 
>"I think it's better that their food bowls are separate from each other. It won't alienate them -- probably just the opposite. They won't have to compete by having to share the same space for food. Although I have only one dish for my cats' dry food, most of the time they wait their turn until one is finished before the other one comes to eat. "

Their bowls are kept across the room from eachother, Serabe' has a specialized diet (tummy problems since her kittten days) while Oracle eats Friskies crunchers. I caught Serabe in Oracle's bowl yesterday, not sure if she was eating the food to be territoral, but Oracle has not yet touched Serabe's food (not that I've noticed). As for the litterbox, Serabe' has used Oracle's litterbox, but Oracle will not use Serabe's litterbox. It is very curious.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Serabe', May 16 11:53 pm

Cat Health > Only female calicos...
Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Tue May 16, '06 8:16pm PST 
My litter-sister and I were born both calico tabbies while our two brothers were silver/grey tabbies. I'm not a real calico (like the other cats in this thread), I am a tabby with calico coloring and closer to a Norwegian forest cat in appearance. And I am a female. Now that I think about it I don't think I have ever seen a calico male, but I suppose there are some about.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 18 7:58 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.