GO!

Laws & Legislation > PET INSURANCE DOESN'T INSURE CARE

Nicky- 4/12/08-10/3- 0/11

It's good to be- loved!

Purred: Sat Nov 5, '11 9:43am PST 
I forgot to mention that what we had paid in premiums while Nicky was alive equals almost 3/4 of the estimated vet bill at the time. Had we just put that same money into a savings account and did not spend it on useless insurance when we needed it we could have paid the bill - or the most important parts of it,
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 7 1:58 pm

Laws & Legislation > PET INSURANCE DOESN'T INSURE CARE

It's good to be- loved!

Purred: Sat Nov 5, '11 9:24am PST 
I am Nicky's daddy. Obviously It is not Nicky because Nicky was put to rest on October 30, 2011.

Since he got sick and since his passing we have become more committed than ever to changing most forms of Pet Insurance- that are really vet bill rebate programs- to actual insurance that is like human health insurance.

We have a two income household but recently one of the incomes stopped because work stopped when baseball season ended (the other income in the house works for the San Diego Padres).

Even though Nicky had Pet Insurance, when we found ourselves in the midst of a medical crisis with him we were short on cash since bills had been paid just before he needed to see the vet.

Even though we pay paid monthly premiums and had a deductible to meet we were horrified when the vet told us that the insurance was useless unless we were able to pay the bill, in full, and wait for a rebate from the so-called insurance.

We could not afford an estimated bill that was close to $500. On ytop of that helping organizations either denied us or drug their feet- one almost two weeks even though the vet stated this was an emergency situation. As a result Nicky was sent home with pain meds and antibiotic without a definitive diagnosis.

Chances are he would have been terminal anyway but there was a slight chance that if his insurance acted like human health insurance- where the animal gets treatment in emergency situations right away and the insurance covers it after the deductible he may still be with us or at least he would not have had to suffer for two weeks until he body really started giving up.

The vet was between a rock and a hard place. As a small practice they cannot afford to extend credit (we were not approved for the credit card) and experience a lot of defaulting on payments like human hospital emergency rooms do these days.

They all fell in love with Nicky and wanted to help. But it costs money to run a vet practice. The vet told me they are all for Pet Insurance being reworked, having laws changed, so it is like human health insurance. They hate denying care- it literally broke their heart- you should have seen the tears from even the doctor as she euthanized Nicky.

So we are going to try to get that law changed in California. Pet Insurance should be just that- insurance. When illness arises, as it usually does, at the worst possible financial time pet owners whether affluent or living paycheck to paycheck should be able to get the animal emergency care.

the way it is set up now only pets in affluent households can get full care while pets in modest income homes usually get the bare minimum. This is animal abuse my friends. To have too deny care to a sick animal because the so called insurance programs are really rebate programs and folks have to pay the bill, in full, up front is cruel.

Nicky deserved the same health care and emergency tests and X-Rays as other pets who's owners could afford to pay in cash and wait for a partial rebate.

Every pet deserves that and to deny it and to continue allow insurance companies to offer "pet insurance" that is no more than a rebate program is condoning the abuse of animals like Nicky.

With pet insurance you pay a premium like human health insurance. You have to meet a deductible like with human health insurance so why is it NOT like human health insurance that does not require a full, up front payment, before treatment will be given and the insurer approves or denies the cost of the estimate.

Rich or poor all animals deserve the same health care and access to it. Pet insurance must be made to act like human insurance and in Nicky's name we are lobbying state of California and federal politicians to write laws that make insurance companies that collect premiums and demand deductibles make their insurance for pets the same as human insurance so no pet has to suffer and be denied care.

YPU CAN READ MORE ABOUT NICKY ON HIS DIARY PAGE.
little angellittle angel
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Nov 7 1:58 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My beautiful Molly is gone...

It's good to be- loved!

Purred: Thu Mar 10, '11 4:43pm PST 
We just lost my brother recently so I know how you feel. little angel She is in kittyland with the other angel kitties. 19 years is a long time and I am sure she loved you dearly. You can never replace Molly but my daddy found that adopting a new cat (especially adult ones that are hard to get adopted because everyone wants kittens) can ease the pain of your loss. Take Care
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 10 6:57 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.