Postings by Philbert

GO!

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Bringing home a new kitty that's not really new
Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Tue Jan 5, '10 3:06pm PST 
Im glad she realized she has too many pets and is giving them to loving home instead of becoming overwhelmed and letting everyone suffer, even herself! and its so sweet of you to consider taking this kitty. From what you said, all signs point to a good thing. they've both shown they can get along with each other, or at least with other cat in general. I would bring her home, and maybe let them interact a bit through the cat carrier. if theres hissing and flakes or peaches seems really uncomfortable and upset, i would then try to treat it as if it was a new cat coming in. separate them if you can, maybe let them sniff each other under the door. They will probably adjust more quickly then if she was a REAL new cat, but they do have very powerful scent memories and if they got along before, chances are they will get along again smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Philbert, Jan 5 3:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > Does anyone eat Weruva?
Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Wed Oct 7, '09 9:50am PST 
Both my Poultry allergic kitty and my super picky kitty love Weruva! It was well priced at my local boutique pet store, and due to Phils allergic to poutlry and intolerance of grain, I had him on the fishy flavors like mack and jack, and outback grill (which he LOVES) but my concern of him eating so much fish lead me to change to Merick Cowboy cook out as an afordable non fishy alernative, and they both love it. I still have high marks for Weruva, but the econoomy is a little bit in the way right now of me getting more for my babes.
[notify]

» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Riley, Dec 4 6:47 am

Cat Health > My new kitties

Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Wed Oct 7, '09 7:46am PST 
What a sweet story! Good for you, and good for you for doing so much research into your new kitties well being. I used to feed my kitties Natures Variety Instinct and EVO, but I also started to fed the hurt from the cost. My Phil has severe food allergies to poultry, and Squeeky is super picky so it really limits our options. I feed them both Merrick Cowboy cook out and both love it and do very well on it. They get it in the morning and at night and an automatic feeder gives them 1/4 cup of Now! grain free freshwater trout kibble to share. The Merrick unfortunately only come in 3oz and 5.5 oz for cats, but I think it's about 1.30$-something per can, and i get a few dollars off at my local store if i buy a case.

I heard that a trick to feeding raw to kitties that dont initially understand its food is jsut to add alitle bit at a time over a couple of weeks tot hier wet food, so they barely notice, until it's all raw and theyre eating it and happy! I've never fed raw, but i've always been interested in learning about it. and if you feel raw to your doggies its probably super easy for you to make a bath for your kitties as well when they accept it. there are lots of great knowledgable and resonsible raw feeders on the catster boards that surely have a weather of information to help.

All else I can saw is play with them alot, snuggle alot, and keep them safe and warm and your cat can live 20 years or more. My Late Terricat passed away last year from cancer and diabetes (she was always fed science diet, but lives a long wonderful life in spite of it) I think whoever told you cats only like 6-10 years needs to rethink how they are taking care of thier cats. good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ♥ Tasha ♥, Oct 7 8:02 am

Food & Nutrition > Dry food can't be all bad

Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Mon Oct 5, '09 2:23pm PST 
My Late Terricat lived to be 19 on dry free fed science diet all her life. she passed away last year from diabetes, and after all the food research ive done for Phil i think....maybe she could have lived even longer with better food! That cat might have lived even longer on a more healthy diet! She sure did have good genetics, but you cant depend on every cat being the same way. You've just got to do the best you can for you cat.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sprinkles, Oct 6 7:49 am

Kitten Corner > Please help?

Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Thu Sep 24, '09 12:24pm PST 
I woudl have to say neither of those mix possiblities seem quite right. All those cats are long haired cats, and your little sweetie looks to be more medium or shorthaired. His face looks a little smooshed like a himie and his pointed color is also very himie. I would assume he's more of a shorthaired himmie mix than anything else, but I'm no profesional! whatever he is he's absolutely freaking adorable!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Miss Tiny Burr Burr, Sep 26 9:57 am

Food & Nutrition > Response from Natura Foods about BPA-lined cans
Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Tue Aug 4, '09 2:18pm PST 
Is funny to me that they would say "oh it's totaly safe!..buuuut we're phasing them out." good that they're doing that though.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Olivia, Aug 5 1:29 pm

Food & Nutrition > Phil has no beef with beef! YAY!

Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Fri Jul 24, '09 2:59pm PST 
oh Gracie! Kitties canbe so picky it's so funny. I thought phil would only really clean the bowl with fishy falvors, I also tried veal, venison, and Rabbit. Rabbit got too expensive, but the other ones he would jsut kind of pick att for a while, and squeaky didn't like it at all. I basically had to just ad a teeny bit of the beef to the fishy stuff over maybe two or three week adding a little more every couple of days until it was all beef. both kitties clean thier bowl better than they ever have before, even squeakie doesn't leave any leftover for fat phil to scrounge up! Sometimes it has to do with texture too. Squeaky prefers more soupy softer food cause she takes teeny bites. some beefy stuff i tried was very dense, even when fresh (it gets a little hard after being int he fridge, but i ad a touch of hot water to make it more soft)

Even if you are stuck with fish, try to stay away from Tuna and Salmon since they are very overfished and tuna has lots of mercury. I posted once about safetly of common cat food fish, I'll find that post for you, its helpful if you're kitties will only eat fish, and you can feel better about it. I fed Weruva Meow Luau, and Wellness Core and had no problems, but Phil already has some digestive issues so I didn't want to chance urinary tract issues as well.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Olivia, Jul 27 3:40 pm

Food & Nutrition > Phil has no beef with beef! YAY!

Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Fri Jul 24, '09 8:07am PST 
soooo I've been avoiding feeding beef because of phil's poultry allergy and the vet said beef is also very common, so he's pretty much just been having Core and Weruva grain free fishy flavors. Because I am always worried about his tummy and all the warning baout feeding too much fish I decided to try out grain free beef wet foods. I tried some Evo, and Phil was meh with it and Squeaky wouldn't eat it (she doesn't have allergies but it picky, and they need to eat them same thing cause they go and lick around in each others bowls) So then I tried from Merrick Cowboy Cookout and both cats LOVED IT! I misex it in a tiny bit with the rest of the fishy food i had left over about two weeks, and now they both only eat that Cowboy cook out and are doing really great. I can barely tell Phil's from Squeaky's poo!!! (he would get a little puddingy even on the all fishy food)

Anyway, First I jsut wanted to share my joy with Phils new food discovery, and was also wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for Beef protien only/grain free dry food? They get alittle snack from an autofeeder during the day.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Olivia, Jul 27 3:40 pm

Food & Nutrition > Possible IBS?

Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Wed Jul 1, '09 9:31am PST 
That is such good new Moocher! I see you got lots of great answers and I went thorugh a smilar struggle with my Philbert when I got him and he had had diarreah as long as the shelter people could remember, and he was about 2. He was underweight, dandery and sheddy cause he was passing his nutrition out before he could absorb anything. IBS is definitly a blanket statement for tummy troubles without getting a real test for it. After lots of trial and error, Phil's problem turned out to be an allergy to poultry. Your kitty may have also been responding poorly to something in the food, and with the higher quality food, it might not have that ingredient, so it's not irritating his bowels anymore!!

If you notice Moocher relasping, you might want to take a look at the proteins in the food because cats commonly have allergies to chicken an beef, but there are lots of great option with lamb, veal, rabbit, and fish that are afforable and canb e found at pet store. good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Moocher - at the Bridge, Jul 1 8:44 pm

Norwegian Forest Cat > Am I a good choice for a pet if I\'m aloof when I first met my people?
Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Wed Jun 24, '09 12:26pm PST 
You are just the cutest little guy! Maybe you have a shy personality and needs to warm up to your family? Being a tiny kitten with big strangers around you can be scary, you might just need to warm up to them a bit and know you'll be safe. in my experience (my roomates kitty) having such a shy personality made her bond very very strongly to a few people, but was nervous around strangers until she got to know them. You may just be a shy little bug who loves you mom and dad and are a little tentative about new people, which is ok if you have a quiet household. or maybe you will blossom into a brave big guy, and are now just a shy little kitten. Either way, I think you'll be ok. you are so cute, I dont know how you could possible lack the attention of anyone.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Philbert, Jun 24 12:26 pm

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.