Postings by Kepler

GO!

Cat Health > wax accident! how to get candle wax out of fur?

Kepler

Purred: Thu Apr 17, '08 8:24am PST 
we are definitely going to finish shaving him today, we just wanted to give him a bit of a break because he was freaking out last night. he was breaking really hard and trembling while we were trying to shave him, so we got the worst of it out and decided that it would be best to tackle the rest of it later when he had a chance to calm down. we did put in him an e- collar left over from when he got neutered over night to keep him from grooming. the vet suggested that if we can't get all of the wax off by shaving that dawn dish soap might help to loosen everything up, so that's also on our list of things to try. thank you all again for your advice! i've had dogs my whole life, so everything with kepler is a new experience for me!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 7:33 pm

Kepler

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 8:40pm PST 
thanks everyone! wee called the emergency vet, and they told us that the best thing to do would be to shave. we cut off all of the patches that we could then shaved off as much as he would let us. we're going to try again tomorrow to get the rest off. in the mean time, we're keeping a close eye on him and doing our best to keep him from grooming himself. if he won't let us finish tomorrow we'll call the vet and see what our plan of action should be.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 7:33 pm

Grooming > getting candle wax out 0f fur?

Kepler

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 5:08pm PST 
so, we have one of those housewarmer wax warming things that keep a cake of scented wax warm to make the house smell good , and one of our roommates forgot to turn it off. of course,kepler decided to knock it over and has a fair amount of wax on his fur. we checked him over and he didn't get burned or hurt. he keeps trying to clean himself, but i doubt that it's safe to let him eat the wax, so we've been keeping a close eye on him to make sure that he doesn't groom himself and eat wax.
so basically, i wanted to know if anyone knew a good, safe way to get wax out of fur, or if it would be best to just trim or shave him to get the wax off? i have heard the goo gone will work, but i don't want to put it on him if it's toxic. the website that i can find doesn't say anything about toxicity either way.
any help or advice is appreciated!

*cross posted in health, since i think i applies to both topics?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Morgan, Apr 25 12:58 am

Kepler

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 5:08pm PST 
so, we have one of those housewarmer wax warming things that keep a cake of scented wax warm to make the house smell good , and one of our roommates forgot to turn it off. of course,kepler decided to knock it over and has a fair amount of wax on his fur. we checked him over and he didn't get burned or hurt. he keeps trying to clean himself, but i doubt that it's safe to let him eat the wax, so we've been keeping a close eye on him to make sure that he doesn't groom himself and eat wax.
so basically, i wanted to know if anyone knew a good, safe way to get wax out of fur, or if it would be best to just trim or shave him to get the wax off? i have heard the goo gone will work, but i don't want to put it on him if it's toxic. the website that i can find doesn't say anything about toxicity either way.
any help or advice is appreciated!

*cross posted in grooming, since i think i applies to both topics?
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 7:33 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.