Postings by Merlin >PAWS< [In Loving

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Is it normal for me to feel such intense grief and sadness?
Merlin- >PAWS<- [In Loving

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '14 2:37pm PST 
It would be ABnormal for you not to feel such grief; the depth of your love is the depth of your grief. Apollo was part of your daily life, so his absence is acute. Keep crying: it's a biological fact that tears help to wash out the pain, but know this: you are crying for yourself. Always, our tears are for ourselves; our furkids at the Bridge have no use for tears. Your beloved Apollo is gloriously alive, perfectly healthy, and blissfully happy, living in Love. He doesn't want you to be unhappy, although he knows that you miss him. He's only gone on ahead, and the day will come when you will join him - glorious reunion!

May Apollo's Creator hold you gently in the hollow of His hand, comfort you, and lead your heart to peace.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 2:45 pm

Senior Cats > Exhausted with Scooter's CKD

Purred: Thu Jun 20, '13 7:03pm PST 
Dear Scooter' Mom ~ Merlin's mom here, and I just had to let you know that I fully understand what you have been going through. Our lives would be much easier if our beloved furchildren would either be totally well or obviously ready to go; the up-and-down is frustrating and emotionally draining. Before Merlin, I had Willie Wonka, who had acute kidney failure; I very clearly remember thinking at one point that, although I was in no way ready to say so-long, I just wanted it to be over. In three short weeks, it was. Merlin stayed with me for 6 months before leaving on his own. Currently, I have an elderly pony with a chronic condition, so I'm back on that roller coaster. I know it's not fun, and I do empathize with you.

You absolutely made the right decision; it was NOT too early. To this day, almost 12 years later, I feel that I should have helped Merlin instead of waiting. It's always a tough decision; we're not ready to let them go, so don't want to do it too early, but we also don't want them to let them go on for too long.

I can assure you of this: Scooter is gloriously alive right now, and he has no memory of suffering at all; he's perfectly healthy and blissfully happy. The sad memories are only yours. Be at peace knowing that he is happy.

May Scooter's Creator bless you with faith and peace.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Jun 22 12:12 pm

Cat Health > Another Mystery.. Bile. Weightloss. No appetite.

Purred: Sat Jun 1, '13 12:12pm PST 
Sounded like kidney disease to me - that's how my Willie started - but the blood work seems to have ruled that out. A second opinion is definitely wise. Good luck!!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Merlin >PAWS< [In Loving, Jun 1 12:12 pm

Cat Health > Little boy ate dryer sheet

Purred: Tue May 28, '13 7:44pm PST 
So far, so good - apparently. However, with kidney failure being one possible result, I'd get him to a vet for a blood test right away. In the early stages, kidney failure has no symptoms; my vet told me that by the time the cat shows symptoms, 70% of the kidney function has been lost. And kidney function, once lost, cannot, like live function, replace. Get him to a vet, please! All you need is a simple blood test to see if his kidney values are normal.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, May 28 9:30 pm

Cat Health > Chronic Renal Failure

Purred: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:39am PST 
Been there with CRD, but it was many years ago, and I know things have evolved since then. The sub-q fluids are scary to think about, but they're really easy to give once your vet or vet tech shows you how, so don't be scared of them. I will give you these tips for when you do start with sub-q's: First, warm the bag before giving the fluid; imagine a cold fluid going in under your skin, and you can understand the wisdom of this. I used to keep Merlin's bad on a heating pad set to Low and covered with a small hand towel. Secondly, do NOT use one of your cat's favorite places to inject the fluid; otherwise, in short order, it will no longer be a favorite place and you will have denied him a pleasure. I used to put Merlin on a table under the window, and then hang the bag from the curtain rod - and I'd read poetry to him while the fluid was going in.

The food situation has probably improved since 2001, but my vet's advice was to "feed him what he'll eat." Pointless to save the cat's kidneys if he's being malnourished in the process.

Unfortunately, this condition cannot be cured, only managed; how long it can be managed varies. Personally, I think genetics has as much to do with it as anything. I have a friend whose cat lived an addtional two years after diagnosis, so it is possible.

I wish you the very best of luck, for I know the pain and the fear involved.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Joey, Apr 9 9:48 am

Cat Health > Constipated Kitty - help!

Purred: Sat Mar 23, '13 1:49pm PST 
I don't know if this will help, but when Merlin had CRF and became constipated while we were away from home, I bought baby suppositories and inserted one. It did seem to help - and might be worth a try over the weekend. Best of luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Mar 25 4:16 pm

Senior Cats > Keeping an old kitty healthy

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 10:22am PST 
The sad fact is that there is no way to prevent kidney failure; it inevitably comes with age - feline and human as well. And "dying naturally" is caused by organ failure - kidneys, liver, heart, whatever; if we could prevent organ failure, we could theoretically physically live forever. Can it be postponed? Well, I guess that depends; sometimes, genetic things occur in spite of whatever we do. There's a lot to be said for staying fit and healthy, but old age eventually catches up with all of us, human and feline. Feeding good quality food is definitely worthwhile,as it may postpone the inevitable, but no matter what you feed, eventually some organ will fail with age.
[notify]

» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Patricia, Apr 15 8:27 pm

Laws & Legislation > JACK THE CAT'S LAW

Purred: Sun Nov 13, '11 6:37am PST 
You are so right, Bumpurr - we have to start somewhere! Thanks for spreading the word.way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by jadyn liana macavity-black, Nov 24 10:19 am

Purred: Sat Nov 12, '11 5:39am PST 
Ok, Gummi, understood. Anyway, that part of the discussion of OT.

The point is - and on this we all agree - something needs to be done! We know that cats and small dogs (who can be squeezed,literally, under the seat) can travel in the cabin. I see no reason why even a large dog, in a kennel, couldn't be allowed in the cabin. That's what I've envisioned all along: pets in their kennels. They could be carried or wheeled thru the jetway easily; planes could have a an area in the back, separated from coach as coach is separated from first class. There could be a limit on the number of animals allowed on each flight - maybe four? Pets would board first and deplane last. They'd be separated - with their parents - from the rest of the plane. It could be done - if the airlines cared at all.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by jadyn liana macavity-black, Nov 24 10:19 am

Purred: Fri Nov 11, '11 1:23pm PST 
I have no idea how many pets travel internationally or nationally; the fact remains that if there had been a "Jack's Law" in place, forbidding the carrying of pets in the damnable cargo hold, Jack would be safely ensconced in his new home with his mom and brother. Just because such a law would not apply to international travel does not mean that it should not be passed to apply to domestic travel.

Gandhi was right in his statement because people have a choice and nonhumans do not. The way in which an individual, a family, a town, a city, state, or country treats its animals is an indication of its compassion. I'm glad that you got a laugh out of that.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by jadyn liana macavity-black, Nov 24 10:19 am

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.