Postings by Punkin

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > ZZ
Punkin

Don't leave me- out of the fun!

Purred: Sat Jul 6, '13 7:20pm PST 
ZZ was a little foster from the shelter I volunteer at. When I left the shelter with him, I gave him less than a 50/50 chance. What a little pill he turned into!

ZZ

Clutching your trembling, feverish,
Tuxedo-clad body to my chest,
I fled the shelter for the vet.

A few weeks of worry,
Medication,
And feeding brought
Its own reward...

A furry, purring,
3 a.m. collar.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Punkin, Jul 6 7:20 pm

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Dewey by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter
Punkin

Purred: Wed Mar 11, '09 10:05am PST 
Daddy says this book is being made into a movie, with Shirley McLain playing the human lead.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 13 10:33 am

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > KITTEN!!!

Punkin

Purred: Thu Feb 19, '09 6:32pm PST 
Just so you know Daddy doesn't always write "down" poetry!

--------------------------

KITTEN

Pounce! Bounce!
Skitter skatter slide
On the slippery floor!
Hide! Hide! Hide!

Catch the tail!
Catch the string!
Catch the finger!
Catch anything!

Climb the curtain!
Climb the chair!
Climb the couch!
Never a care!

Chase the shadow!
Chase the dust!
Taste the soap!
Taste the crust!

Lick the paw,
Lick the nose,
Purr a little.
Time to doze...
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Punkin, Feb 19 6:32 pm

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > A tribute to Kate

Punkin

Purred: Tue Feb 17, '09 2:46pm PST 
Kate was a dilute tortie point siamese who was brought a couple of weeks ago to the same shelter I came from . Her "loving family" had had her for 14 years, declawed her, etc., but "suddenly" their child was allergic to her. They knew our shelter was not a no-kill shelter, and they knew her health was a little compromised, with signs of diabetes or high blood pressure (she showed signs of going blind).

Unfortunately, she caught the typical URI in the shelter and did not survive it.

-------------------------------

KATE

Five thousand days
I slept on your bed
Ate under your table
Lounged on your couch
Played with your fingers
Purred on your lap
Dozed in your sunshine
Frolicked with your catnip
Watched out your windows.

You took my claws
But I never complained.
I never use them.
Not in anger.

Now, when I'm old
Slowing down
Going blind
Getting grumpy
You left me with strangers
Without a backward glance.

After only 7 days,
I'm gone to the bridge.

Was that all
We owed each other?

Was that the best
You could do?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Spike, Feb 18 11:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > What if all your cats wants is cheap food?

Punkin

Purred: Thu Dec 25, '08 2:34am PST 
The other cats and I eat a good food. But Uncle Terry's cats have never eaten anything better than Purina Cat Chow, and most of the time just a cheap store brand, and they all do pretty well. In fact, his kitties Si and Bear are 16 years old, and both have only been sick once in that time.

It's great if people buy really good food, but no one should feel guilty if they can't afford it.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 26 7:34 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Which type of cat to get?
Punkin

Purred: Mon Sep 29, '08 4:08am PST 
Both I and my "brother" Sterling and my "sister" Ella all came from the shelter. Dad volunteers there, socializing the cats in the cages every Monday morning.

We have very different personalities. I'm laid-back. I rode in the big truck for 3 years, and I loved it. But I have a lot of long hair, and I shed a lot and I have hairballs once a week or so.

Sterling is little, short-haired, silky, and rambunctious. The folks got him to exercise me after they got off the road full-time. He likes to wrestle with me, run around, etc. But he also likes to lay in the sun spot on the rug.

Ella is a Katrina cat, with some sort of allergy problem. But she likes to play, especially with Sterling's tail! Dad brought her home because the shelter was giving up on her, and was going to put her to sleep because no one would adopt her.

All the time, the shelter has a variety of cats. Some are very young kittens. Some are older adults. Some are already declawed (which is a bad idea, but people still do it), neutered, the whole thing. Some like to play, some like to cuddle, some, you never know. Ask the shelter workers if you want to know about the personalities. They often know which ones are not displaying their normal personality due to the stress of being in a cage.

Dad says he could point you to a good cat for an apartment if you came in the shelter, and that's true at most shelters. One warning; at many kill shelters, if you find a cat or kitten you like, adopt it right away, because they are often put to sleep after a very short period of being available for adoption.
[notify]

» There has since been 87 posts. Last posting by Mr. Lollycat McNoNo, Jan 31 6:42 pm

Grooming > I got sprayed by skunk (not directly) Need to be bathed

Punkin

Purred: Sun Aug 24, '08 2:12pm PST 
I have heard this works quickly and efficiently. Don't expect the cat to like it!

-------------------------------------------

A chemist by the name of Paul Krebaum discovered a solution that chemically neutralizes skunk odor. The ingredients for the formulation are:

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle)
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1-2 teaspoons liquid dish soap.
Ingredients must be mixed in an open container and used immediately. Never mix the ingredients in advance because oxygen released from hydrogen peroxide may cause a closed container to explode. The solution can be used on people or pets; avoid splashing the product in the eyes or mouth. Allow the solution to remain on hair for five minutes before rinsing with water. Repeat as needed. Do not use this solution on clothing — it may discolor the fabric.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Atrus, Aug 24 4:12 pm

Cat Health > Going to foster home -Foster mommy needs a bit of advice!

Punkin

Purred: Sun Aug 24, '08 8:38am PST 
Momcats have been having kittens safely for thousands of years. It usually works out. However, a first-time mother can have problems.

In the animal world, having babies is fairly "yucky." I'm glad I'm a boy cat! Well, formerly a boy, anyway...

A good birthing nest is a great idea, and restricting mom to a smaller room where she will use it will help. Put a blanket or towels in a pillowcase. That way, little claws won't get caught, and you can easily change it. Try to keep mom from going under a bed or deep in a closet or behind something where you can't help.

Try to count to be sure you have one placenta for each kitten. Mom will eat them. Told you it was yucky! It's an important source of energy and nutrients for her, more in the wild than at home, but still!

Don't worry about breech babies. About half of them come out like that, and it usually is fine. Pulling on the kitten can injure it, so don't do that unless there is a really serious problem. Check with your vets about what to watch for.

Mom may try to move the kittens within a day or two after birth. This is common, and how she gets away from a dirty nest. You can help avoid this by changing out the bedding after the kittens are born.

There is a book called "Kittens for Dummies." I don't know how much information it has, but a little extra knowledge can't hurt, right?

Some momcats are great, natural, fantastic. Some....not so much. Try to provide a nest that is cozy, but not crowded. First-time moms sometimes lie down on their kittens and accidentally kill them.

Watch for any "ignored" kittens. No one can explain it, but sometimes a momcat will just ignore one or more kittens. Theories are around that maybe the kitten has a defect, or something. If it's not eating, it won't last long, and that's when you need to step in. Sometimes just picking up the kitten and causing it to cry is enough to get mom interested. A kitten will cry if he can't find mom, or if his feet aren't touching the ground.

There's just so much. It's hard to know what to tell you, what you already know, etc.
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Sep 3 10:41 am

Cat Health > Why am I going white?????

Punkin

Purred: Thu Aug 14, '08 8:48am PST 
OK, not to alarm you, but cats who have been very warm or had a fever can develop what is called a "fever coat." This will turn the longer hairs on your body white. It disappears after a few weeks, though, as those hairs are replaced. This is much more common in kittens.

It's possible you got warm, or had a fever for a day or two.

Cats do generally get lighter as they get older.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Punkin, Aug 14 8:48 am

Behavior & Training > Pan with 3 high sides?
Punkin

Purred: Sat Aug 9, '08 6:13am PST 
I have a litter box that has 3 high sides. Not for the reason you specified, but because when I used to be a truck cat, my people kept my litter box under the sleeper bed, and although I needed the sides so I didn't fling my litter all over the truck, there wasn't quite enough space for the top of the litter box. So they cut off an inch or two of the top of the covered litter box. Works just fine!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Punkin, Aug 9 6:13 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.