Postings by Bailey

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Behavior & Training > New Baby In Town!
Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Tue Nov 11, '08 8:24pm PST 
Thanks everycat for your help! I'm not so worried about the kitten being the middle ground...if he is, he's a miracle worker. I'm more so interested in hearing people's advice on getting the kitten adjusted to life indoors. I dealt with this in the past, with Bailey as he was a an abandoned stray when I took him in. It was difficult to get Bailey to realize how better off he was in a warm, safe house than out in the elements.

The difference with the kitten is that his father is right outside the door and I think he does still want to be with him. His incessant meowing early in the morning is disheartening and I'm unsure how to soothe him and calm him down. I will try ignoring the meows, as I know nothing is actually wrong. If anyone has any other tips, it would all be greatly appreciated!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Gracie, Nov 11 9:02 pm

Behavior & Training > New Baby In Town!
Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Tue Nov 11, '08 11:12am PST 
Well, for those of you who frequent the “Kitten Corner” you may know about our latest developments! We’ve discovered a young kitten, son of one of the feral cats in the neighborhood (still attempting to trap & neuter!) His father brought him around for food and being that winter in NY is coming, We were considering taking him in as our own but were concerned with “Bailey the Bully” and “Frisky the Priss”. Well, as of Friday evening, we introduced the kitten to our house and while he’s still skittish at first, after he settled in, he was playing & sleeping his head off!

Frisky met him, and hissed/spit her head off and ran outside to the porch. Bailey met him and surprisingly just sniffed him out and went about his normal business. He watches him play and hisses ONLY if the kitten surprises him or gets WAY too close. The kitten is interested in Bailey and I’m hoping Bailey (who really is THE biggest mush ever) will eventually accept him and be close with him.

So far we’re able to keep him in at night, as during the day he likes to hang around the porch with his dad. He used the litter box right away and settled in every night since. However, around 5am every morning, he incessantly meows and tries frantically to find his way out. I sleep with a light on as to not frighten him and try to calm him when this happens. Eventually, I give in and let him back outside, but he then continues to meow after he goes out. Does anyone know what this could be about?? I am trying to get him adjusted to life indoors and am wondering what’s the best way to go about this.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how I can best facilitate a relationship between the cats and the kitten? Bailey & Frisky do not get along and stay in separate rooms when possible. I’m hoping to have the kitten be the middle ground…are there any recommendations as to how to make life easy for everyone and jump start friendships?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Gracie, Nov 11 9:02 pm

Kitten Corner > New Boy in Town....

Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Thu Nov 6, '08 8:54pm PST 
Well, it's been quite a while since we posted, but all is well over here. I hope all is well with all of our furry friends as well!

There have been some recent developments that we'd like some advice on though! (this is the ONLY place we'd come for that) We have been taking care of an all black, adult male feral cat. He has went from skin and bones, to muscular and healthy. We're looking into now getting him neutered as he's comfortable enough with us to handle it.

We've discovered that he has a son! An exact clone of him, except in the kitten form! They actually hang out together and he seems to keep him safe. Being that winter is coming, we're considering either bringing the kitten to a no-kill adoption shelter or adopting him ourselves. Our issue with adopting ANY new cat, is our "big tough bully" Bailey. He picks on anything and anyone in his sight and will go CRAZY if he sees any other cat near his house!

We're trying to figure out the best way to go about introducing the kitten and seeing if it would even be possible for the 2 to get along. Are there any recommendations on how to safely introduce both cats being one is about 18 pounds and the other probably 3 pounds? My other concern is if the kitten has any medical issues (doesn't seem to have anything that can physically be seen) how would that affect Bailey during an introduction period? (before bringing the kitten to the vet & OFFICIALLY adopting him)

Any advice?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Toby Aragorn **PNE**, Nov 7 11:12 am

Cat Health > Sneezing Kitty?

Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '08 5:25pm PST 
Thank you for all your posts!! I'm glad you went to the vet and will hopefully be feeling better soon! Since Mommy took away my feather boa toy, I haven't been sneezing!! Maybe once a day...if THAT much. Since I haven't been around any other cats (except my Fur Cousin...who is healthy) or been out of the house...Mommy says it must have been the feather boa toy!! I think that makes sense because I have no kind of discharge from my nose/eyes or anything. All my behavior is normal too! Soo hopefully we got to the root of the issue! Plus, mommy's taking me to the V-E-T in 2 weeks for a checkup with a NEW VET!! SOo Thank you everyone!!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Chinga, Jan 14 8:11 pm

Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '08 10:25pm PST 
Thank you Jordan!! Everything you said makes sense...so my mommy will try and see what works!! I haven't really sneezed much today because she hid my feather toy! cry Buttt...i guess i'm better off! cheer
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Chinga, Jan 14 8:11 pm

Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 9:38pm PST 
For the past 5 days or so, Bailey has been having sneezing fits. He will sneeze about 4-6 times in a row...and "scratch his nose" with his paw, similar to how a human would. He has these sneezing fits up to like 3 times a day sometimes.

I've been trying to figure out what it could be. There really has not been many environmental changes lately to make him have this behavior. Some of the factors that I've been considering are....new catnip that we were given from a family friend to try out. Bailey loves catnip and has never had any reaction to any different type. This type is Cosmic Catnip and he has played with it in his toy mouse for the past 3 weeks. Also, he has a new feather toy he was given for Christmas. It's more of like a "feather boa" sort of dangling toy on a wand. I've noticed him biting this and possibly some of the little furs going into his mouth if he is biting it.

Can anyone help?? Thanks buddies!!
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Chinga, Jan 14 8:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Not Drinking Water

Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Sun Dec 30, '07 11:07pm PST 
I understand your concern about your babies not drinking enough. When I first took Bailey in I noticed he NEVER drank from his water bowl. However one day, as I was opening the shower curtain to take a shower...there he sat right in front of the bath tub faucet giving me "the look". So I turned it on slowly and the rest is history. A LOT of cats will only drink from running water...I'm not exactly sure why this is. I purchased the Petmate water fountain, but he totally ignored it and kept going to the bath tub faucet for his drinks.

You could always try to see if your cat will be interested in drinking from a tub or faucet as well, and if you could add a good wet food to their diet, that typically gives them 70% of their daily water needs. Some people also add a few drops of extra water to the wet food in order to sneak in some without them having to actually "drink".

It is EXTREMELY important for cats to get enough water daily. All cats, especially males, are at risk for many urinary ailments, including Urinary Tract Infections if they do not get the amount of water they need. I hope you can find a way to get your kitties water consumption up!! Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by ♥ Nikki ♥, Jan 2 6:57 am

Behavior & Training > Not Drinking Water

Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Sun Dec 30, '07 11:07pm PST 
I understand your concern about your babies not drinking enough. When I first took Bailey in I noticed he NEVER drank from his water bowl. However one day, as I was opening the shower curtain to take a shower...there he sat right in front of the bath tub faucet giving me "the look". So I turned it on slowly and the rest is history. A LOT of cats will only drink from running water...I'm not exactly sure why this is. I purchased the Petmate water fountain, but he totally ignored it and kept going to the bath tub faucet for his drinks.

You could always try to see if your cat will be interested in drinking from a tub or faucet as well, and if you could add a good wet food to their diet, that typically gives them 70% of their daily water needs. Some people also add a few drops of extra water to the wet food in order to sneak in some without them having to actually "drink".

It is EXTREMELY important for cats to get enough water daily. All cats, especially males, are at risk for many urinary ailments, including Urinary Tract Infections if they do not get the amount of water they need. I hope you can find a way to get your kitties water consumption up!! Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by ♥ Nikki ♥, Jan 2 6:57 am

Grooming > Bathing Basics??

Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '07 1:11am PST 
Ok well I've decided that I want to bathe Bailey. He is not dirty at all, but since August, when i first took him in from the streets, he has not been given a formal bath. I've tried dry shampoos and foaming no-water-needed shampoos but he is not a big fan of them. I am also slightly allergic to him so I know a bath will help reduce the dander on his coat for some time.

I'm not TOO concerned with the actual bathing portion of it all...because he LOVES going into the bath tub and drinking from the faucet and doesn't seem to mind getting all wet from the running water. Mainly i'm concerned about the DRYING afterwards.

I know he will want to re-bathe himself after the bath, but is it ok to let him dry naturally? We live in NY, and in a big drafty house so it does get kind of cold in here at times. I'm planning on bringing him back into my bedroom after the bath where I'll have a small space heater warming up the room. But should i attempt to blow dry him on a low cool setting? I don't want him to get chilly!! kitty

Also I'm wondering if there are any shampoos that anyone can reccomend?? Thanks!!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Beatrice (Miss You! '94-'12), Feb 17 12:57 am

Grooming > Bathing Basics??
Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '07 1:10am PST 
Ok well I've decided that I want to bathe Bailey. He is not dirty at all, but since August, when i first took him in from the streets, he has not been given a formal bath. I've tried dry shampoos and foaming no-water-needed shampoos but he is not a big fan of them. I am also slightly allergic to him so I know a bath will help reduce the dander on his coat for some time.

I'm not TOO concerned with the actual bathing portion of it all...because he LOVES going into the bath tub and drinking from the faucet and doesn't seem to mind getting all wet from the running water. Mainly i'm concerned about the DRYING afterwards.

I know he will want to re-bathe himself after the bath, but is it ok to let him dry naturally? We live in NY, and in a big drafty house so it does get kind of cold in here at times. I'm planning on bringing him back into my bedroom after the bath where I'll have a small space heater warming up the room. But should i attempt to blow dry him on a low cool setting? I don't want him to get chilly!! kitty

Also I'm wondering if there are any shampoos that anyone can reccomend?? Thanks!!
[notify]

» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Boris, Jan 13 11:22 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.