Postings by Brucey Bruce-In loving memory

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Raw Food Diet > method of feeding raw- help?
Brucey- Bruce-In- loving- memory

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 10:35am PST 
We have two different types of raw kitty food around our house. One being a ground type and the other being "whole" items. It came down to a personal preference and need for my kitty sistah and I.

The basic food is a ground mixture, since my teeth aren't super good and I'm a bit lazy (I don't like working for anything, especially food). We can buy ground white turkey as the basis, then there's always ground parts (turkey necks, chicken necks/backs, duck necks/parts, etc) we can supplement that turkey with. And the ratio of veggies gets added as well as the expected supplements of taurine, bioflavonoids, sardines, etc.

My kitty sistah is the brave raw eater. She doesn't need the ground stuff as much since she'll take on anything. I've seen her devour almost an entire guinea fowl! I'll work a little while at the chicken or duck feet but give up after a while. The chicken neck is the only part I'll work through.

So this means that you'll have to see what works for you. There may be a transition period until you get to where your people might want you to be or you might jump in full force. Try it and see!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brucey Bruce-In loving memory, Mar 26 10:35 am

Raw Food Diet > Ok Help a Poor Mommy out!?

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 10:19am PST 
Very finicky eater here.

My kitty sistah isn't finicky though so she transitioned over to raw easily. I was so bothered by her raw food that I wouldn't even eat when my kibble junk food bowl was placed in the same room at the same time as my sistah's raw food. The drama. It was a slow process for me to transition to raw in which everyone had to be patient (me and my people) with the tiny advances made. It was necessary though since I had some rather severe irritable bowel syndrom symptoms and was a little overweight. Now that I am fully raw, I have no symptoms and am not overweight.

Part of the issue of switching isn't just that the raw smells different but has a very different texture. What's helped me to switch over is a homemade raw diet with the basis being ground rather than whole raw items. My kitty sistah eats the whole chicken necks, backs, feet, organs, etc. I've seen her devour a large section of guinea fowl! I am willing to do only chicken necks though when it comes to animal parts. That's okay. One of my people hates seeing and hearing that crunching and chewing anyway so the ground is a great solution for us all.

Just letting you know that there is a way to make raw work for you (and your people).
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brucey Bruce-In loving memory, Mar 26 10:19 am

Food & Nutrition > low calorie or calorie free treats?

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 9:55am PST 
My kittysistah, my doggie sistah, and I all get a few healthy homemade treats we loooove. They are super easy to make and we'll do just about anything for them. Other cats and dogs know when my person has these treats in pocket or the smell on the hands, so they'll do anything for them too.

They are homemade dried beef heart and dried beef liver. These items pack such a flavor punch, that my person only gives us small pieces. The beef heart is especially lean stuff. Yum, yum.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brucey Bruce-In loving memory, Mar 26 9:55 am

Cat Health > skin problems

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 9:31am PST 
Sounds like a visit to the vet is in order. You are having a variety of symptoms that from a "holistic" perspective are very related. Now some vets may treat each symptom separately but hopefully the root cause of them will be determined and treated rather than simply treating the symptoms individually (which could easily return if the root cause is not addressed).
Take care.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brucey Bruce-In loving memory, Mar 26 9:31 am

Cat Health > Bad Breath

Purred: Mon Sep 17, '07 2:32pm PST 
I too had bad oral health. My teeth looked dirty, my gums were a little red and bleeding, and my breath was nasty.

I reluctantly switched to raw food and that helped a little. The raw was all ground so it couldn't help too much. So I started getting raw chicken necks and that helped my teeth a great deal.

My homeopathic vet gave me a couple different remedies (one at a time) and now my breath is all better. That's a very good thing because I like to talk a lot!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mysty (The Princess), Sep 17 3:30 pm

Raw Food Diet > Help! -raw diet NOT helping cat with IBD

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '07 1:20pm PST 
Because IBD is a combination of symptoms clumped together as a disease, it's not always easily solvable.

I was diagnosed with IBD over four years ago. I had a strictly allopathic vet at the time who presribed kitty prozac of varying strengths to all IBD kitties along with a prescription diet. Doped up and living on bland food? My people didn't think that placed my quality of life very high.

My people took me down another route. I saw a vet who practiced a variety of alternative modalities, but also included allopathic care. Slowly (mostly by my stubbornness), I transitioned to a fully raw diet. This diet was developed with the help of this alternative care vet. This diet has been the only answer for my particular condition. I now eat a raw ground meal as well as the occassional chicken neck or chicken foot. I've thrived on it for years now.

As for the slippery elm bark, my people haven't had to use it for me but they have used it for my big, furry dog. When my dog had some minor tummy issues, the bark gruel worked well.

Other things to consider may be probiotics and digestive enzymes.

A visit with an alternative care vet may be in order as well. They are usually quite supportive of and informative for a home made diet, be it raw or cooked. A vet who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and/or acupuncture should be considered. You may be able to find someone via the search function on the AHVMA's website.

Hope you get better soon.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brucey Bruce-In loving memory, Aug 28 1:20 pm

Food & Nutrition > Inflamatory Bowel Disease and Food

Purred: Fri Aug 10, '07 1:26pm PST 
Taking control of the food intake can have a huge impact on the IBD. As Hector and LuLu pointed out, each cat is different and therefore the food intact should be modified to your specific needs.

Most allopathic vets don't learn very much about pet nutrition so you might want to search the AHVMA website for a holistic vet. The site lists what modalities the vets work in. Many holistic vets are very knowledgeable about nutrition (part of that holistic approach) and can guide you in the right direction.

I had a raw diet worked out for me with the help of a holistic vet. My sister, Sally, had a raw diet worked out for her with the help of the holistic vet. And my dog, Aina, had a cooked diet worked out for her in the same manner. I hope you can find what's right for you.

Hey, whatever keeps us healthy and happy!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shining Water Itsa Kinda Magic, Aug 16 7:54 pm

Food & Nutrition > Inflamatory Bowel Disease and Food

Purred: Thu Aug 9, '07 11:55am PST 
I was diagnosed with IBD over 5 years ago. I very reluctantly switched to a homemade raw diet designed specifically for me. My homemade raw is mostly ground up, with an occassional whole raw chicken neck or other bird parts thrown in. I've been getting this stuff for years and have been absolutely great. This route may be something to consider at some point.

I get no meds, have no diarrhea, rarely vomit (unless it's some grass), and have been healthy since switching to this diet. I like that it was designed just for me.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Shining Water Itsa Kinda Magic, Aug 16 7:54 pm

Cats & Travel > Boarding cats when on vacation

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '07 12:12pm PST 
For cats, staying at home is always better than boarding at a facility. As other kitties have suggested, ask around for a good pet sitter. We have one who's very thorough, dependable, and connects well with us kitties. That pet sitter takes care of us kitties when it's just us at the house.

We have another pet sitter stay at the house with us when our dog stays at home too. It's closer to "routine" when someone stays in the house with us. Which means we're all happier even though our people aren't around.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zambukka, Aug 7 3:08 pm

Cat Health > Teeth cleaning?

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '07 9:33am PST 
Unless your teeth and gums really need it, why go through a teeth cleaning procedure that's going to file away some of that protective enamel anyway? The procedure for pets is simply not as refined as the one people get.

Why not go the alternative route with bones (raw/uncooked chicken necks are easy)? Or even routinely administering the homeopathic remedy, Fragaria Vesca 3c, to soften, slow down, and even prevent the build up of plaque and tartar!

My mouth used to be kinda nasty but between the bones, Fragaria, and occassional "tooth brushing," my mouth health has improved tremendously. And no vet procedures were necessary, which made the transition to mouth health much less expensive.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sasha 9/6/06-10/3/12, Aug 6 2:18 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.