Postings by Sarge (In Loving Memory)

GO!

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I will be going to the bridge soon.
Sarge (In- Loving- Memory)

Hey you, pay- attention to me!

Purred: Tue May 29, '12 8:22pm PST 
I got an ultrasound at the vet today. The cancer we thought we beat last October is back and has spread to my lymph node and wrapped around my stomach making it hard to eat. I've lost a lot of weight in one week. There's nothing we can do. Any new meds would just prolong what is happening. The best we can do is try to stay happy and comfortable until the end which will probably be this Friday.

My Dad is very sad. I've been almost constantly with him for 5.5 years but now I don't sleep with him as much. We tried everything to get me better but this cancer is drug-resistant. We knew it was coming, but it still hurts.

Please purr for a peaceful transition and hope we're doing the right thing now instead of trying for another week that may or may not be good.
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Patch, Jun 8 12:46 pm

Cat Health > Why won't I eat?

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 8:15pm PST 
It's been a while and I wanted to give closure to this thread. Recently the vet did an ultrasound and discovered a mass of infected tissue near my stomach and small intestine. We had it removed, but it was touch and go for a while. I am recovering with the help of lots of meds (yuck) and I'm home and eating again. We're still going to get weighed occasionally until we're sure I'm gaining weight. (Dad can still feel my backbone when he pets me.) I'm eating and drinking again so we're cautiously optimistic. Thank you everyone for your advice and support.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jack, Nov 2 2:12 pm

Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 7:04pm PST 
Sorry I haven't posted sooner. I have pancreatitis. It took the tests longer than expected to get back to us. So we finally found the problem. I have to take yucky pills every day in order to get better. I'm still not eating much but that's likely because my pancreatitis isn't letting me. All we can do now is to take my meds and encourage me to eat. We'll see what happens.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. Now we have a course of action to take. People are optimistic but Dad is getting emotionally worn out. That's part of why he hasn't responded here and for that he is sorry. We don't know what's going to happen, but Dad's doing everything he can. The rest is up to me.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jack, Nov 2 2:12 pm

Purred: Tue Sep 27, '11 7:29pm PST 
I was at the vet again today for more tests and x-rays. My blood is being sent to Texas A&M for PTI and B12/6 deficiency (among others). My insides look OK, there's no string or such inside me and I'm looking good ... except I don't show much interest in eating. Dad thinks it may be my lack of drinking. The vet put some water in me and that helped a lot but Dad hasn't seen me drink much or eat much lately. We'll see what the tests say!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jack, Nov 2 2:12 pm

Purred: Sun Sep 25, '11 4:40pm PST 
We're talking to the vet tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can bring him in tomorrow night for the fast necessary before the test. Even with the medicine I gave him yesterday, he's not eating much. I'm tossing more than he's eating now but he's asking for food. He's acting pretty normal, begging to go outside or to the garage and following me along everywhere. I take that to mean that he want's to live and isn't in pain.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Jack, Nov 2 2:12 pm

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 10:17pm PST 
Merlin,

I was diagnosed with diabetes earlier this year. When we did the follow up check a few months later, we dialed back my insulin since my blood sugar was so low. Then I started getting sick in the morning and the vet had took me off the juice. When I went in last week for my weight loss, the blood tests said I didn't need to go back on. We don't know what my problem is, but we do know it's not diabetes. Maybe my diabetes triggered my current problem directly or indirectly but it's not the primary cause.

We'll know more once I go in. I'm eating a little bit, enough to keep me going. I hope we'll find out what's wrong and that it can be taken care of quickly. Dad is really scared.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Jack, Nov 2 2:12 pm

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 9:21am PST 
Dad was SO sure I would have gained weight since I have been eating some. Instead we found out this morning that I LOST 5 ounces to 9lbs 13 oz. eek How can I lose that much in 9 days when I have been eating?! I've been more active, asking to do outside and in the garage. I'm acting pretty normal except my weight keeps going down.

The problem isn't so much that I'm not eating but I'm not getting nutrients from it. There's been a lot of stool in the litterbox. Dad's really scared. He's doing what he can but it's not working. He just gave me my pill and I wanted to go explore the garage instead of eating.

Next week I'm going in for more tests and we'll find out what it is hopefully and what we can do about it.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Jack, Nov 2 2:12 pm

Purred: Thu Sep 22, '11 7:28pm PST 
Thanks everfur. The first thing we want to do is get me eating again and eliminate all likely candidates before doing more invasive testing. So far everything is fine except I haven't been eating much. I am getting better with the pill and tonight I ate several spoonfulls of food on my own. I'm doing the lip smacking less lately, but I did get sick once earlier this week. We'll see if I gained back any weight since last time. We'll be very surprised if I haven't gotten back at least a few ounces. Plus I'm more active.

I had a bout with diabetes. We caught it early and we wonder if I got too much insulin which made me sick and I have to get used to things now. We're controlling it by diet and I've been off the juice for a while. Dad's been getting me different kinds of food these past few weeks. I like the pate style best. If it's gravy and chunks, I just lick up the gravy and leave the chunks behind (if I could get just gravy, I'd be very happy). But my favorite is still Friskies Ocean Whitefish Dinner (Special diet, classic pate), preferred above all others.

Alex, we want to see if medicine helps my problem before doing painful expensive tests like IBD, but Dad will mention it to the vet tomorrow. My organs felt fine so I don't think I have fatty liver disease yet. I don't think it's food allergies given the variety of foods I've had. The thing is that we just don't know what's wrong yet so we want to try the simple things first and see if that helps.
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Jack, Nov 2 2:12 pm

Purred: Wed Sep 21, '11 7:31pm PST 
I haven't been eating much these last few months. Dad took me to the vet last week and I lost 2+ pounds in 2 months! cry I got this appetite stimulant that encourages me to eat, but I'm still not eating as much as Dad wants. I'll sniff the wet food and I'll eat some then ask for more. But if it's been out for a while I refuse to eat it. Dad doesn't like having to throw away food. Sometimes he thinks he's throwing away as much as I'm eating. (Not quite true but close.)

Is there anycat who knows how to entice me to eat more?

FYI I have been eating some and acting more like my old self. I go back to the vet this weekend for a quick weigh in.

Also, the vet did blood and urine analysis as well as a basic check up last week. Everything is a-ok apart from being underweight. I'm also making a lip smacking motion and sometimes I throw up afterwards.
[notify]

» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Jack, Nov 2 2:12 pm

Food & Nutrition > Making food taste better

Purred: Sat May 14, '11 3:00pm PST 
I just got diagnosed with diabetes so I have to eat this special food. It's both canned and dry. Normally I love canned, but I'm hardly touching this. Is there anything Dad can do to help me want to eat it? He'd try adding spices and herbs, but human spices and herbs aren't good for kitties so that's completely out. Well maybe some chives. We like chives. And maybe some unsprayed grass from outside. I like that too. Does anycat have some suggestions for us?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 16 2:24 pm

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.