Postings by Thursday

GO!

Raw Food Diet > Cat ate whole chicken neck in one gulp? Ahhhh!

Thursday

Purred: Sun Dec 15, '13 8:17pm PST 
Just a quick update: He's been fine. :3 And I'll definitely look into getting some extra muscle meat for them -- their poo has been pretty great so far, so I'll do my best to monitor it when I give them chicken necks next to make sure they don't have trouble passing it.

Thank you so much for your help!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Thursday, Dec 15 8:17 pm

Thursday

Purred: Thu Dec 12, '13 5:56am PST 
Oh good, whew. Glad to hear your kitty does that too...

And I'm feeding them mostly commercial raw (Radcat, darwins, etc) and giving them a neck every few days. Living in a teeny tiny studio apartment with a not very big freezer and no room to "prepare" my own raw food (I barely have enough room to prepare my own FOOD food, blah!) combined with my own general laziness and long hours at work made me feel like commercial would be easier and probably less likely to hurt them. I might try to prepare my own when I move to a bigger place though, so I'll keep the muscle meat info in mind. Do you think I should be giving them muscle meat even with the commercial raw? The little dudes are basically garbage disposals that'll eat anything, so I'm sure they would love that. laugh out loud

They've been on raw for the last three months and are doing reaaaally well. I've never owned cats, so I did a lot of reading and nervous pacing beforehand, haha. It's a little gross for me but as long as they're feeling good, I'll keep dishing out their bloody raw stuff. X3
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Thursday, Dec 15 8:17 pm

Thursday

Purred: Thu Dec 12, '13 1:48am PST 
I'm sorry, I've never posted on catster before but I panicked and here I am! Anyway:

I've been introducing my kittens to raw chicken necks (based on the advice of my local pet supply store) and the kittens have LOVED them. Friday is 7 months old and Thursday is 6 months old but they're pretty big for their age (Both around 8 pounds -- of muscle! Big kitties...) and they've really enjoyed gnawing and chomping on the raw stuff. Tonight though, Thursday was chewing on his chicken neck for a minute or two...and then he just swallowed the whole thing.

I've been watching him very carefully for the last 10 minutes, and he's happy and purring on my shoulder at the moment but I'm sort of freaking out about him choking on it later. Is this something anyone else's cat has done? Did it turn out ok? Since he seems fine and dandy, I don't want to take him to an emergency vet, but I'm still kind of scared? Ahh!

If anyone has any words of wisdom, please share them with me! And any advice on how to feed them chicken necks in the future? I've been careful about monitoring them every time they eat them, but Thursday was so quick with his creepy dinosaur eating goat move (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-k1XbvHhtg), I didn't even have a chance to stop him. :'( Should I just not give them chicken necks in the future? Is he going to be able to digest that whole thing? Auuuuugh, my usual vet doesn't open until tomorrow morning and I'm so nervous, I have no idea what to do.

Thank you for any help you can give!

[edit] also, doing some googling, these "necks" were pretty small/skinny. They were about the width of my thumb, and maybe just a little longer? They weren't like some of these pictures, where the neck is the size of three fingers.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Thursday, Dec 15 8:17 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.