Postings by Katie

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > URGENT 4yo special-needs Siamese in San Jose, CA
Katie

Purred: Wed Apr 9, '14 12:37am PST 
Forgot to mention - Meow is spayed, and up to date on vaccines. She has never been outside, and now that her UTI is cleared up she uses the litterbox religiously.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Katie, Apr 9 12:37 am

Cat Health > Dear Cats prone to crystals- what do you eat?
Katie

Purred: Tue Apr 8, '14 4:00pm PST 
We had a crystal-prone cat, and we experimented for awhile but wound up putting him on Purina UR canned food. He loved it, and he THRIVED.
[notify]

» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Katie, Apr 8 4:00 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > URGENT 4yo special-needs Siamese in San Jose, CA

Katie

Purred: Tue Apr 8, '14 3:54pm PST 
I've been helping a sweet elderly lady care for her 4yo siamese, Meow, who suffered a kindey infection and went into renal failure.

Meow's blood and urine both show that she is free of infection, but the lost kidney function will never be recovered and she will need fluids and pepcid for the rest of her life. Her owner is not going to be able to keep paying me to come out to her home daily (though I dropped my price to almost nothing, it still adds up over time) and she is looking for a new home for Meow. If we don't find something, Meow will likely be PTS. I AM contacting rescues as well, but we're in the thick of kitten season right now and I'm thinking it's not likely we'll find placement for her in rescue.

Meow does run away if she knows the fluids and pill are coming, but once caught she does not put up a fuss. She gets 100ml of fluid and 1/8 tablet of pepcid daily. I put the pepcid into a pill pocket and then pill her with it, as she caught on to the pill pockets pretty early on. She's a petite cat, about 5lbs, and VERY friendly. She was raised around other cats and small dogs, and is fine with both. Her long-term prognosis is excellent, she should be fine for the rest of her life with fluids and pepcid.

I'm unemployed right now and don't have much to offer, but I would be happy to teach Meow's new owner how to give fluids and to offer very inexpensive pet-sitting services anytime her new people travel.

I don't have a picture of her right now, but I'll try and snap one tomorrow.

If anyone could help spread the word, it would be much appreciated!! I can be reached at catherineduke@rocketmail.com
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Katie, Apr 9 12:37 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Will a closed litter box help the smell?

Katie

Purred: Sat Nov 9, '13 10:21am PST 
Neither of us minds the enclosed box, as long as it's kept clean. You might as well give it a shot, and just be aware that some kitties don't care for it.

We have to have an enclosed, top-entry box because our doggy brother will er...use his own methods to clean up our poop otherwise! 0.0
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Nugget, Nov 11 8:11 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > How best to transition an outdoor cat to an indoor?

Katie

Purred: Sat Oct 12, '13 11:07am PST 
I think the trick is patience, lots of cat trees, more patience, and doing your best to make indoors entertaining. I don't have any experience transitioning cats to indoor life, but any change in their routine seems to throw them off for awhile.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Midas, Oct 17 11:03 am

Cat Health > 17.5 years old, not eating much, drinking lots of water
Katie

Purred: Sat Oct 12, '13 11:02am PST 
Hyperthyroidism often masks underlying illnesses, especially kidney disease, so I think it's worth running some blood and urine to figure out what's up. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Katie, Oct 12 11:02 am

Cats and a Clean Home > worst smelling cat ever..

Katie

Purred: Sun Oct 6, '13 10:03pm PST 
If you haven't already - you might have the vet check the stool for anything. Some parasites can produce amazing odors on the poop, and it would be an easy fix!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Miko, Oct 7 6:23 am

Behavior & Training > hes started pooping under the bed

Katie

Purred: Tue Sep 17, '13 9:47pm PST 
Are his litterboxes being scooped while you're away?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Katie, Sep 17 9:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Very inappropriate elimination!! I am going out of my mind!

Katie

Purred: Tue Sep 17, '13 9:46pm PST 
Vet check first - when one of our fosters was doing this it turned out he had crystals and was in PAIN. Pain meds stopped the problem immediately. Another foster was just a stress case, and a teeny dose of prozac fixed the problem.

I also had a renal failure cat who liked to pee on soft things and I finally caved and just started putting towels in litterboxes for him to pee on, and washing them when they got soiled. It was easier to maintain than I thought, and since he was in renal failure the urine didn't really have a smell.

The website the previous posted linked to is also excellent, and a few of the most common suggestions would be...

-Add more litterboxes
-BIG litterboxes
-Keep them very clean
-Use Cat Attract litter
-Use an enzyme cleaner on soiled fabric to make sure no scent lingers
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Monkee, Sep 25 5:55 am

Cat Health > Walking with an arched back and wobbly back legs
Katie

Purred: Tue Sep 17, '13 6:11pm PST 
Ouch!! I hope he recovers quickly!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Draco, Sep 18 2:15 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.