Postings by Mittens

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Cat Health > Anxiety- Food allergy?
Mittens

Purred: Sat Jul 19, '14 5:59pm PST 
So we have had mittens from about 6 weeks and she was definitely a crazy kitten, very confident. but id say the last few months, lets say around 3 or 4 she has seems to be very anxious. doesn't like when the back door is opened, doesn't like loud noises or fast movements doesn't seem to like children as much. we had two young ones pick her up and she growled and hissed which she has never done at a person before. now during we got a new kitten about 2 months ago and I do think it could possibly increase this simply because he can be very rowdy and loud but I also think he helps. we were going to the vet which is her worst nightmare but as soon as I put pine cone in the cone with her she calmed down a bit. we like to take pine cone on the balcony with a harness (because he is crazy and cant be trusted not to jump) but mittens usually hides when the door is opened, I once tried to take her out there and I didn't even get to the door- she also peed on me) but when pine cone is out there she will come out and sit by the door and Thursday she even came out and walked around! although on high alert. so my question is this- could her anxiety be food related?

I know that there are theory's about gluten causing anxiety- infact that Is why I don't eat gluten. She eats FF wet and purina kitten chow. Now I know that is not the best food but that is what she was fed when we got her and I didn't really find out about much about healthier options until later on. well I tried to switch her and she had a horrible reaction, not eating or drinking for days, ER visit it was very scary. and the vet told me that she thinks that se must be very sensitive so to just keep her on what she has been eating. and the kitten chow is because even though she is a little over a year pine cone is only 4 months and they eat each others food anyways (when they eat halfway through they switch). but im starting to think that maybe its a food allergy and am possibly considering switching her. its just really scary because I don't want a bad reaction although id rather feed her a higher quality food. what do you guys think?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Jul 20 11:07 am

Kitten Corner > how to get him to cover!
Mittens

Purred: Thu Jul 3, '14 3:40am PST 
We have two Cats, a female mittens, who is about a year now and our new male kitten, Pine cone, who is about four weeks. Mittens has always been good with the litter box(as long as its the type of litter she likes) so we didn't have really any problems with her covering, if fact we almost have to call her out of there because she wont stop! But Pine cone is another story, he just doesn't do it. now he will "try" to, but he seems to scratch random places but not what he needs to. just barley even trying really. I have seen him scratch the side of the box, the door ect but its barely. However, I know he CAN do I, have seen him do it like twice but usually he just wont. I have brought him to see mittens use the box to see if he would learn (Im sure she loved the audience) and I have taken his paw and basically did it for him. but still nothing. I will say he has gotten ever so slightly better, like he scratches a few extra times and gets maybe a few random pieces of litter on it. the problem is the smell, we have a small place so odor is always a factor but the worst is he will step in it and tract all over! YUCK! one time someone showed up at my house as this happened!

any ideas on why he is doing this and how to improve?thinking
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mittens, Jul 3 3:40 am

Behavior & Training > she likes him, right?

Mittens

Purred: Thu Jul 3, '14 3:26am PST 
thanks,

yeah I do think gender has to do with it a lot. we try to give them both toys to play with which they will, but pine cone seems to prefer wrestling.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mittens, Jul 3 3:26 am

Behavior & Training > she likes him, right?

Mittens

Purred: Tue Jul 1, '14 7:55pm PST 
its been about 2 months that we brought pine cone home. he is about four months now and mittens is about a year now. things have settled down, actually quite quickly. about a week of mittens growling and hissing. which is great but I'm a little concerned about some things.
for one, they like to wrestle and chase, which is fine and mittens will even start it. it seems to become a problem because mittens will seem to be done, and pine cone wont let up which eventually she will growl and hiss at him. and then just try to run away or hide. what I have noticed though is even when this is happening she will get a little rough with him (which he seems to love) but then she will start licking him all sweet.
another thing, since we have brought mittens home has slept in her bed next us, most of the night. she doesn't like to be touch when she sleeps, which is why she rarely sleeps with us. if she does she is on the corner of the bed far far from us so as not to be touched or moved while she sleeps. she loved her bed and would even try to kneed and suckle it. I tired to keep pine cone out of it at first but he is one determined kitty! and then he started crawling into bed with mittens which at first she didn't like she would growl and then leave but then she was ok with it. she seemed to like it, she would also lick him and he would also groom her. but what would happen was after a while he would wake up, want to play and start attacking her while she was sleeping, she hates to be bothered while she is sleeping so she would just leave. now I find her hiding underneath the couch to sleep at night.
Even when we feed her, we always feed her first but he seems to try to but his head to get some of her food and she seems to let him. The other day she was laying on me, dozing off (which means I cant move at all or she will get annoyed and leave) and here comes pine cone. I gently pushed him off to the side so as not to bother her (she is not super affectionate so I try to give her as much attention when she wants it) well, he comes back and starts grooming at her (im like aww, sweet he wants sleep with us) and she starts grooming him, and then he starts biting at her trying to get her to play. and same story, she gets irritated and runs away to go sleep in peace. he seems to get pretty rough with her too, no blood or anything but I wonder if he is nipping her pretty hard.

like I said, she seems to like him, they play together, I have seen them lounging together but this annoying little brother phase he is going through makes me worried she is not happy. what do you think?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mittens, Jul 3 3:26 am

Kitten Corner > 11 week old kitten not grooming herself -- new pet parent; please help!

Mittens

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '14 10:58am PST 
Have you asked your vet? we had similar issues with mittens as a kitten, she smelled awful. he basically said she like a lot of kittens have better things to do like play then groom themselves and that it should improve as she gets older and it did. but I would ask your vet to be sure. kittens can be gross like babies and little kids. we have issues with our new kitten (11weeks also) not covering or stepping in it and tracking all over. its a pain but they grow up so fast so hopefully these two will get over it soon.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mittens, Jun 3 10:58 am

Raw Food Diet > is raw cheaper?
Mittens

Purred: Tue May 13, '14 3:24pm PST 
just curious is anyone knows approximately the price comparison? I know generally dry food will be as far as frisky and stuff but we do canned and dry (FF and Purina kitten). just curious as to what you guys have found!thinking

TIA
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Jun 27 9:59 pm

Behavior & Training > werid behavior

Mittens

Purred: Fri Apr 4, '14 9:05pm PST 
ok so we every few weeks/months we give mittens a bath (she smells) and she is not a fan at all. she clearly hates it . however afterwards when she has dried off pretty good, she like LOVES us, and everything else for that matter. wants to cuddle and knead us, non stop head butting us. everything she see she needs to rub up against. this is even more unusual considering she has never been overly affectionate, she will be on her own time, as long as you don't move but never like this. do other cats do this? does she just feel fresh like we do getting out of the shower? lol any ideas as to why she does this?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rice, May 13 8:06 pm

Behavior & Training > is this normal?

Mittens

Purred: Sat Mar 15, '14 8:46pm PST 
yea I just find it funny she does not like to let us see her with it! all the other toys is fine but just her mouse we cant see her playing with it...
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kashi, Mar 16 3:18 pm

Behavior & Training > is this normal?

Mittens

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '14 5:18pm PST 
ok so mittens has always had like a toy she particularly favors. first it was the caterpillar (which was like almost her size so funny) now is this little gray flat mouse. she plays with it all the time, but not in front of us. I will find it all over the house. in fact I went out to the car and forgot something inside so I ran back in and I saw her scampering away and the mouse was moved to right in front of the door. I know she loves to run around with it in her mouth when she thinks we are sleeping or not around. as soon as she sees that we see her she spits it out. one night around four in the morning I woke up to her making a weird sound so I walked into the living room and I think she was pretending it was pray because she was gnawing at it. as soon as she saw I was there she slowly dropped it and walked away. I caught her again yesterday she thought was laying there asleep once she realized was awake she got all puffy, stared to crab walk and lunge at me lol. its really funny but is this normal? why is she likes this? she is only about 9 months old so is this just kitten stuff?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kashi, Mar 16 3:18 pm

Cat Health > Help! FIP or blockage?
Mittens

Purred: Sat Jan 25, '14 4:59pm PST 
ok so If you have not read my post from yesterday I took Cinnamon to the vet because of a bloated stomach and we noticed she was not as active and the doctor took a guess and said it could be FIP but today My husband just brought up a good point... it does not look like she has urinated much the past day. he was scooping the box where he saw feces but just a small amount of urine. now, Mittens our other cat drinks a crazy amount ever since we got her the fountain. but cinnamon does not drink as much but we still see her drink as well as lick the liquid out of wet food before she drinks. there is always a lot of urine in the box however since the are separated right now and I changed the litter an hour before the vet yesterday, so that was about 30 hours ago, now we can see who is doing what. could that be the problem? either way I was going to take her for a second opinion and I might call the emergency room tonight but could that be it?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mittens, Jan 25 4:59 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.