Postings by Calísta

GO!

Cat Health > Asthmatic Cat- Alternive to inhaler while we go on vacation?

Calís- ta

Momma's girl

Purred: Wed Jan 16, '13 2:43pm PST 
My girl has been on an inhaler for about 5 years now (Flovent). She does well on it, but every now and then also needs albuterol or prednisone (so many other side effects with pred long-term though). At first she didn't like it too much but I daily "con" her into it and now often she even purrs while getting it. I bring the yummy soft food into the room but I don't offer it until she has breathed her inhaler. Those who take care of her when I can't follow this routine and it works--she's used to it and it makes her happy and healthy! Not sure you can get a routine like that started for this trip, but maybe in the future. I wouldn't let him skip his meds though...just never know if he could have issues and you wouldn't be there.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Jan 24 9:53 pm

Cat Health > Kitty Bronchitis Relief?
Calís- ta

Momma's girl

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:24pm PST 
I also forgot to mention that my girl is always indoors too...but the weather changes and air quality still effect her. And I never noticed anything "serious" until she was 3...and most the time her symptoms are mild. I hope some of this helps! Know there are others in your corner!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 16 5:30 pm

Calís- ta

Momma's girl

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:18pm PST 
I apologize if I made it sound like I was recommending prednisone on a continued basis. Prednisone is very hard on the body and has serious side-effects. My girl only gets it in acute attack situations, which once she has a bad flare up, it can take several days to calm back down so it is usually a big dose of pred, followed by a maintenance dose for a few days then a taper off. Ask your vet if she/he has worked much with asthma...most haven't. Apparently only 1% of cats have it, so it's not that common. My girl's first attack was when she was 3. She turned blue--literally, every usually pink part of her turned blue and she was panting. It was terrifying. If I had gotten her to the vet even a few minutes later I would have lost her. Even with that, the vet didn't fully understand what it was. He saved her with prednisone and lasix (a water reduction med). He suspected a heart issue, and even though it was a misdiagnosis, it saved her because prednisone is a miracle drug like that. It actually took until she was 6 years old to get an accurate diagnosis! Finally after about 4 near death experiences, and many periods of panting or coughing, a huge animal diagnostic center was able to accurately diagnose her. They prescribed flovent as a daily inhaler which helps keep the major attacks away. When she does have an issue now I give her albuterol and prednisone as mentioned above. .....So, your vet may be on to something, but not understand it fully because it is rare and is different at different times and in different kitties. You might want to check out the feline asthma web-site, (google it just like that and it will come up) it explains a lot, and explains various triggers and treatments. Good Luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 16 5:30 pm

New to Catster/Tips & Tricks > Allow me to introduce myself.

Calís- ta

Momma's girl

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '13 3:48pm PST 
Thank you Ben!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Jack, Jan 19 8:19 am

New to Catster/Tips & Tricks > Allow me to introduce myself.

Calís- ta

Momma's girl

Purred: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:01pm PST 
My name is CalĂ­sta. I think this community will be fun to be a part of! Mom just realized she's been looking at this website for 3 hours--shame on her when she should be doing her work! But I can't complain because who wouldn't want a momma to post pictures and brag about her? I'm excited to meet all the other cool cats!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Jack, Jan 19 8:19 am

Calís- ta

Momma's girl

Purred: Mon Jan 14, '13 9:48pm PST 
My girl has asthma. It flares up with environmental changes such as weather or air quality. If your kitty has asthma it would behave like you've described, flaring and subsiding and prednisone would give him relief. My girl needs a daily inhaler to keep it away though. I noticed that if you search "asthma" here on catster, there are a lot of posts you might find informative.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 16 5:30 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.