Postings by Ladybug

GO!

Behavior & Training > Cat introduction update

Ladybug

Purred: Sun Oct 21, '12 10:20am PST 
Okay, so after a bad introduction, I've kept Grazie (older cat) and Ladybug (new cat) separated for a week. They eat meals on either side of a glass door and they seem to do this peacefully enough. They have played through the door as well (I have opened it a crack), and it's mostly peaceful although if they get into a staredown, Ladybug will hiss. Grazie seems nonplussed at the hissing.

Today I finally opened the door and let Grazie into the same room as Ladybug. At first, they weren't close to each other but then, just as had happened prior to the re-introduction, Grazie chased Ladybug under the bed and Ladybug started hissing. There was no physical fight at that time, but I was anxious because in the past it always let to a physical altercation, so I immediately separated them.

Tonight I will feed them again from either side of the door, but should I start putting them in the same room more often and for longer periods at this point? What if Grazie just chases Ladybug back under the couch, and she's hissing and Grazie is all aggitated? Do I leave them be unless it gets out of control? Before the re-intro, every time Grazie saw Ladybug, she chased her into a corner or under the couch, and there might be a bit of a violent scuffle with, of course, the worst noise ever.

I'm trying to be patient but right now I'm not sure of the next steps or how long to continue with each step, you know?

Does anyone have further words of wisdom?? Thank you!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 23 7:47 am

Behavior & Training > Introducting a new cat
Ladybug

Purred: Tue Oct 9, '12 1:56pm PST 
It is helpful to see a post about having all girls in the house. So there's hope. The funny thing is... my first cats, Whatnot (f) and Fiddlehead (m) lived fairly peacefully together for 15 years. But occasionally one or the other would instigate a rip roaring fight, leaving fur all over the place. Because it didn't happen all the time, it didn't bother me to the extent that I worry about Ladybug not working out. But you've both helped me out with your responses...thanks. I will post updates. Maybe I will have Ladybug start a blog so folks can follow. Thanks again.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ladybug, Oct 9 1:56 pm

Ladybug

Purred: Tue Oct 9, '12 5:34am PST 
It's been a week. I've not heard from anyone. frown Things are interesting here. Ladybug pretty much stays in my bedroom and office, where she feels safest. If Grazie sees her, she chases her and then there is hissing, growling, and batting, and sometimes full on wrestling. But this morning after the hissing standoff after the chase, Grazie ran out of the room. Both cats have pheromone collars on. I am hoping that if they both smell each other and they smell alike, maybe that will help things simmer down. It's been 10 days...and I know sometimes they say it can take months, so I'm trying hard to be patient. Would love some encouragement, though!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ladybug, Oct 9 1:56 pm

Ladybug

Purred: Wed Oct 3, '12 2:04pm PST 
I know this is a common issue but I need a bit of support and reassurance. I brought home a new kitty on Saturday. I jumped the gun a bit and let Ladybug (1-year-old female) out into the house with Grazie, my 4-year-old female was around. For a day, everything seemed quite good...sniffing and some growling and hissing but nothing big. Then last night and this morning, there was an all out attack (well, a chase...no blood was shed; I'm not even sure they touched, but the noise was horrible and I was so afraid for Ladybug!). I was able to distract Grazie rather easily (in this situation) to move away and then got a water bottle to keep her away. I'm now taking a step back and starting over with the introduction. I'm a bit impatient but am hoping this will work out because Ladybug is such a love and I don't want to have to bring her back to the shelter. They're separated now and tomorrow I will try to be good and keep them separated but this little part in me keeps thinking that the next time Grazie chases Ladybug into a corner and makes all those horrible noises, as long as there is no physical fighting, I need to let it run its course (standing close by, of course). I think I get a little freaked out because I'm so worried, like I said, that Ladybug will be hurt. Can someone give me some reassurance that it's still VERY early and things could turn around? Help! cry

p.s. Is there a way to set it so that it's not a pet author but a person author?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ladybug, Oct 9 1:56 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.