GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Water in raw, does it matter & heating or reheating...
Merida

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 4:15pm PST 
Couple of questions... Does it make a difference which water you add to your raw food if you make your own or if you add any to your premade you buy? Distilled, spring, tap, purified. I am curious on what your take is on this. I make my own food and have tried all the different waters and not noticed a difference.

Also, the heating and reheating I have noticed some places having debates on this. What do you do in your house? I heat once, fridge right away, and reheat only once if she has at least half a dish of leftover. I also don't heat it up much, just a tad warmer than room temp by placing her metal dish in a ceramic dish of boiled water and stirring until slightly warm. She hates if it is warmer or colder than this, she will refuse to eat.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 12:43 pm

Cat Health > Do you collar your indoor cat?
Merida

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 3:55pm PST 
Mom has collars for each 3 of us, but in the house we don't wear them. All our ID tags, registry tags, are all on our collars. We get them put on before we leave the house, or if the doors will be open for things like moving. My brother & sister are microchipped. I haven't worn mine yet because I can't walk, so as mom says "Where the heck am i gonna go?" Mom thinks it's a bad idea due to the fights between my brother and sister. He attacks her all the time because she is sick and it can be very rough, and Stars fight habit is to jump on backs and grab scruff.

My big big brother dog wears his collar all the time. Mom knows he is quick, and darts to the door all the time, so he has to wear one all the time. Nyah nyah!
[notify]

» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Jan 25 1:46 pm

Raw Food Diet > Newby

Merida

Purred: Tue Dec 18, '12 3:20pm PST 
I am not a pro in this department, but I can offer a little reassurance..

Merida ate canned as a small kitten, and was transfered onto raw due to her neurological condition. As a 4 week old kitten, she ate 2-3 cans of kitten food a day. On the raw she eats about a cup a day, so close to at least half less raw than canned. I noticed she stays fuller longer on the raw, 6 feedings of canned a day as a small kitten or 4 of raw.

Also, I have found butchers to be pretty good. However, I am in Canada. We contacted a butcher and he asked a supplier to gather all the organ meat from the birds he is butchering and bringing to the butcher for Xmas turkey orders, and the butcher will package them all for us however we want with no additional cost, he is actually giving them to us free. Hopefully you can find someone that will grind for you for little to no cost.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 3:20 pm

Cat Health > A little reassurance, or help with Wobbly Merida

Merida

Purred: Tue Dec 18, '12 3:14pm PST 
I made her appointment today, Jan 4th. I could have waited until her vet was back on the 9th, but I would like a new perspective so she gets to see a different vet at this clinic. I will take in all my notes, and videos as always and hopefully this visit is "the one" that helps her. *fingers crossed*

Little update: I have been doing daily physio with her since I am doing a bit better from my car accident, so she is taking a couple steps by herself here and there. She stood up and sat in the litterbox for almost a whole pee. Her head drops as soon as she is done, but she did well! I also practice balance with her, letting her catch herself but my hands are there for support and it seems she can sit up on all fours for a couple of minutes by herself as long as there are no surprise or loud sounds, and no quick movements around her.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 8:22 pm

Merida

Purred: Mon Dec 17, '12 4:39pm PST 
Thank you so much for the response, you have been a huge help! Having someone else who knows the the magic of slippery elm and vitamin e, plus the fact you have a CH cat so you know that I am not off my rocker... Made my day.

Her vet is out sick, but I spoke with her vets husband who is co owner of the clinic and a vet as well. He has suggested Sam Reng Tang I believe its called. It is for GI tract inflammation and seems to have a noticable effect in the good way in cats with ataxia. I will give this a try, but I feel she still needs another checkup. She never had an illness, and was witnessed falling hard or from high on more than one occassion, along with her shoulder feeling off, the lump between her shoulderblades. As well as her constant ups and downs with HOW wobbly she really is. I didn't find a feline specific vet, however her current vets husband at the clinic seems concerned that maybe we should bring her in and have another look at her. Sounds promising, but maybe I am just getting my hopes up.

(merida is currently trying to post for herself) Backspace is my best friend right now
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 8:22 pm

Merida

Purred: Fri Dec 14, '12 11:02pm PST 
There is no official diagnosis on her yet. The holistic vet has given her more help than all the other combined, bit still really guessed and did not give me a reason for the things I pointed out that make aCh cat that Merida does not have. The vet said she can only go uphill and will probably make a full recovery and be a normal cat. Merida is now 6 mos old and still has the same ups and downs, which she shouldn't be. According to everything I have read, talked to techs about, these cats if cared for as young as she was only go uphill. Merida is great for a couple weeks and then has days of body spasms, head neck and ears feel hot without a fever, full body spasms. She sleeps and hardly eats and then bounces back a bit.
Her raw diet was ok'd by the vet. I make it by using 2 cups of ground organic turkey, and 5% organ meat (i choose chicken heart because i too read about the too much liver) add water. Then i measure daily her feline vitamins (which contain dehydrated beef liver) and her feline minerals. Bought them from the vet so its balanced, and i even out the supplements through her daily feedings as she has a rough time if she gets the minerals all at once. Probably the calcium, seems hard on her tummy. She cannot digest bone, i will try again when she is 1.
On the elm bark she is absorbing more water in her gut, pooping more, and doing better everyday. (Before her vet visit in sept) The vet told me she doesn't need the slippery elm. She got acupuncture done and was semi ok. Then the tummy trouble showed up again, she would burp after meals and have tummy spasms again in late Oct. So the vet gave her chinese herbs which are enzymes to help digest. She lost half her appetite, and her bowel movements went from 5 days to every 8, then to 10. The slight orange mucous showed in her stool as well. Off the enzymes, no orange mucous, more regular movements, balance improvement, better appetite, and way more playful. Until she has another down...
My herbal methods of extra vitamin E and the slippery elm every few days up until she saw the holistic vet helped so much she was walking until the worms had her laid up. So this is where i am, do i go back to what worked for her, or do i just listen to the vet? Waste more money on taking her in yet again and try again for the 8th time to explain and hope they listen?
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 8:22 pm

Merida

Purred: Wed Dec 12, '12 11:52am PST 
Dear fur friends,

Maybe you can help my mommy? I can only tell her so much, and she knows me so well right now that what she does makes me feel so much better than what my doctor makes mommy give me. After the other doctors gave me lots of yucky stuff that made me feel icky, and then told mommy to force me to the rainbow bridge, we found a doctor I like. I get acupuncture done every month, but the doctor makes mommy really mad because she yells at mommy for stuff mommy did in the past, like feed me canned kitten food and not raw when mom noticed raw food hurted my tummy and no doctor would help) and she told mommy to quit giving me the herbs she was.

I am still wobbly, but I have good days and bad days now that I am off mommies yummy herbs. I eat a full dish 4 times a day with my vitamins in it, raw turkey with chicken liver. YUM! But I only have a bowel movement once every 8 days now since the doctor said no to mommy and her herbs. It is always very dry and hard to push. I also don't absorb my water in my gut, so I pea 'oceans' as mommy put it, and then usually im lying in it because I can't stand or walk again. The doctor gave mommy some digestive enzymes for me she said would help, but that made me more constipated and it's not supposed to. It also gave me orange mucous when I poop too. Mom says thats a sign of acid reflux possibly.

Mommy wants to say a few choice words she won't let me hear or type because her methods had me up and walking, pooping like a champ, and feeling great! But my doctor says no don't do that, but won't give her a reason why she shouldn't. She is tearing her hair out because she wants me better, and she works REALLY hard at making me better with therapies we do at home and acupuncture. She spends everything she has time and money wise, it hurts her to see me doing well then not and nobody can give her an answer on how to make me better, or whats even wrong with me, but what she did made me feel good before. She is torn and doesn't know if she should listen to my doctor about my health or do her own thing?
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 8:22 pm

New to Catster/Tips & Tricks > Newbie to Catster

Merida

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '12 8:57am PST 
Welcome to the site!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 23 1:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > RAW & My confusing kitten

Merida

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 4:44pm PST 
Pandora, from what I understand is that some older vets call it distemper, and the inability to walk comes.from the extremely high fever they get usually just before they die which overheats them and damages their brain. I do not believe this is Meridas cause, i believe it is from her two very bad falls onto concrete. She has a spot between her shoulders up into her neck that are swollen and inflamed. Certain motions cause her neurological signs, etc. I hate to say, but I am doing my own thing with her, but I am thankful she got herbal help to get better compared to western medicine with a bunch of side effects. She had been through enough.

A little update, she is doing well. I work on vestibular rehab with her to help her wobbles which has done wonders, and we do physio on her back legs at home to strengthen them. She can walk 5 steps, fall to her bum, and get back up and do it again. We are getting there!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:44 pm

Raw Food Diet > RAW & My confusing kitten
Merida

Purred: Sun Sep 23, '12 5:10pm PST 
Merida saw the holistic vet, it turns out she should be over her head injury by now the vet said, and she has lived through distemper. It stayed mild due to the raw food, herbals, and care I was giving her. She fought it, and won! She is on the mend now, on some natural trauma healing medication. She also had worms since before I snatched her up. So a dewormer was given as well. Turns out her tummy wrenching, fever, and digestive problems were from the worms more than likely. I had her on canned food since her tummy wrenching for easy digestion. The vet thinks she will make a complete recovery and be a completely normal cat, without a wobble! If the previous vets would have actually looked her over, alot could have been solved sooner than later.

She also showed no signs of worms, and only 2 small possible signs of distemper (possible and unserious signs of other medical conditions) . She is a strong little kitten!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:44 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.