Postings by George

GO!

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Feral kitten success story

George

Purred: Wed Oct 30, '13 2:04pm PST 
Hello all- I do not post here often, but I wanted to share a happy story with some folks who would appreciate it. I have been fostering cats and kittens for about a year and a half now and recently had quite the challenge: socializing 5 month old feral kittens. It has been a difficult but extremely rewarding experience and thought you might want to hear a feel-good story today.

Charlie and Cindy were found as part of my rescue org's TNR program. They were spayed and neutered, had their ears clipped, and were slated to go back to their feral cat colony. However, they were such beautiful little kitties and were still relatively young, so the foster coordinator decided to see if they could be socialized and find a warm home instead of living outside in the cold MA winters. I had socialized much younger kittens before, but I don't think I realized what a difference 3 months in age made for the socialization process!

I will spare you all of the details, but these two little kitties were absolutely terrified of humans. Just the sight of my hand would send them into a panicked flight mode. I knew it would take some time and conditioning, so I tried not to be discouraged. After a couple of weeks of using yummy chicken baby food and play-therapy to associate people-time with good feelings Cindy had completely come around. Charlie was another story. He physically flinched every time I touched him, even while eating his favorite treats. He spent most of his time in a visibly terrified crouched position. It was so hard seeing him so stressed for so long- I began to wonder if he wouldn't have been better off in the feral cat colony. After about a month of consistent calm play therapy and petting during every feeding Charlie finally had a breakthrough. For the first time ever he didn't flinch when we touched him- but instead purred! After that initial breakthrough each passing day marked incredible progress. Finally, as I sit here typing this today both Charlie and Cindy are curled up sleeping on my lap. These incredibly sweet 6 month old kittens have become the most affectionate and loving companions. It wasn't easy- but it sure was worth it! I can't wait to see how happy they will make their future guardians in their forever home smile

(P.S. I have no pets of my own- I decided I value being able to serve as a foster too much and don't have space for both!)
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Violet, Nov 3 2:59 am

Kitten Corner > Scared for life?
George

Purred: Tue Jul 10, '12 8:44am PST 
Hi- I asked this over in the adoption forum, but didn't get a response. Maybe I'm just impatient
red face

The two little kittens I am fostering were abandoned outside and attacked by a dog when they were very young. Do you think this will cause a life-long fear of dogs or any other anxiety problems in the future? I don't have any other pets right now, but I'd like to get a dog several years from now.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Alexander, Dreamboat #110, Jul 14 3:44 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.