Postings by Candie

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > My cat seems to only be aggressive and cold to me
Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Fri Oct 17, '14 10:55pm PST 
Where do I start? Yes, your room mates are a problem playing with her in that way. We need to condition the cat back to you & they are not helping. I think the other cats are not a good thing. Are they all fixed???

I'll throw this one out here. How old are you? I say this because my older sister had a cat that hated me. I was 14 when she got her. Weird as it sounds, she hated kids or teenagers. I treated the same when I was 14-23 years old but for some reason she hated me until I was older. When I was 19 years old, she finally sat on my lap & would let me pet her.

Don't bite your cat. Candie did not like me for a 1.5 years when we got her from a breeder at the age of 5. She bite me. That "don't touch me" bite. So this is strange but worked with her. I made my hand a shadow puppet. (Bring your finger tips together like the Italian symbol to wait a minute.) The thumb is the lower jaw & the fingers the top half of the head. I'd made it talk really close to Candie's face as she started to bite me. It makes a snappy noise & she worried if it will get her. I'd never touched her but she back up & stop trying to bite me.

Now to win her over I would get on the floor to play with her on her level at least 15 minutes a night. Get string, feathers, a stick, laser chaser toy, woolen ball, or make a toy like (brown paper bag or a box you scratch on the outside while they are on the inside works too). Even if she does not come get on the floor with you, play with a toy. She should join you with the right toy. Done playing, then groom her while sitting on the floor. She might try to bite but try anyway. I have a Goody comb & groom my long hair cats with it. Do her tummy & under her chin. All I have to do is sit on the floor & show the comb for one of my cats to come running for grooming. Are you using catnip on her?? I give a little & mine eat it. Give every now & then in your room only like once a week only.

You said, you pick her up to go to bed. Instead of that get a ribbon & pull it behind you for her to follow you to bed. Make a game of it. Then shake the treat bag & give her a treat only in your room after she follows you to bed. She won't follow you some nights. But sit on your bed & shake the treat bag & she will come running.

Yes, 1.5 years to like me & 2 years for Candie follows me around. She loved every one in the house but me when we got her. And I'm the food person in the house too. I muzzled Candie for 9 months just to clip her claws. She even swatted me on the face. She just really hated me when we first got her. Now she climbs on top of me & cuddles.

Conditioning: Food, treats, play & grooming only from you.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Gyselle, Oct 29 3:46 am

Behavior & Training > Issues with cats not covering feces
Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Thu Sep 25, '14 4:11am PST 
I have had cats 40 plus years. I'm the official butt and pan cleaner in the house. Some cover while other wildly swipe the paw on edge of the pan to never touch the litter. My favorite are the few cats that never even tried to cover and walk away. I have never found one litter better to get them to cover. I'm afraid even if you lid the pan, they would not do better.

If you do not want to put up with it, would automatic cleaning pan, like a litter mate, be in your future? (There is another one that washes the litter when it is setup in a bathroom.) I have never taught a cat to cover better. I just use one of those automatic air fresheners sprays to keep the odor down until I can get to the pans in the basement. My tiny pan in our one and only bath room get cleaned twice a day by me myself and I. Only one cat poops in it. She covers 50% of the time.

I have the problem that sometimes the poop does not fall in the pan. It's stuck to a butt. Candie likes to run it off until it falls off in the house. Today, it was just stuck on Cookie and I find it later. And Brownie has decided not poop in the pan anymore. He poops next to one pan. Oh well.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sherlock, Sep 30 10:24 pm

Behavior & Training > Ragdoll - Extremely Independent, scared or just weird?

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Wed Jul 30, '14 10:03pm PST 
I have pure breed Birmans. Brownie was pet quality & was 4 months old when he came to our house. Cookie & Candie were show cats. They had 2 litters with only a single offspring from each. So they were not as socialized as Brownie when they came to our house. Cookie (3 yrs. old then) settled in first and made a smooth transition after three months. Candie joined us at the age of 4 & is still a problem child. It took her 1.5 yrs. to warm up to me. She loved everyone in the house but me. (I was Cookie's person per Cookie.) And only this week she started to follow me & talk to me. She almost never talks. I just do not think is a breeder thing unless he was there for years.

But we did have a Birman, Honey that changed after she was fixed. She marked her territories like a boy after the operation. Only stopped when she around 10. She would stand and pee after the operation.

I'm hoping it is just the summer heat. My cats are avoid us more in the summer. All that long fur & now they are laying on the floor to get their bellies cool. Even when we have the air on, they still do not want to be on us. I can not say if you have the same weather as me in StL. But even the Siameses were not lap cats in summer when we had them.

No food changes... No litter changes... And the water bowl is the same... Can you get him to purr or knead on you? Was he doing this before the heat? Is grooming time a happy time? My cats love me during grooming time unless I find a knot. Does he licked you up? I call them kisses.

I going to have to think about it a bit more.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Candie, Jul 30 10:03 pm

Food & Nutrition > Cat does not want to transition to grain-freee -- ideas?

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Tue Jul 1, '14 5:11am PST 
I tried sample after sample of the grain free kibbles for my babies. I'd visited smaller neighborhood pet stores for the free sample bags. They simply preferred the foods with grains like rice, barley or oatmeal. So I gave up even trying anymore grain-free kibbles. I have picked food withouts corn, wheat, soy or meat by products. I also feed wet foods too. Maybe some nice pate types would be appealing to him. Even the cheaper ones with adding a little extra water would work. You don't have to break the bank on canned foods.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Jul 1 11:58 pm

Food & Nutrition > Very VERY Runny KITTENS Poop

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Wed Jun 11, '14 3:32am PST 
A temp. solution is Holistic Select (Eagle Pack) Hoistic Solution. Just sprinkle it over the food. (Prebiotics, Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes provide a natural, 3-way, holistic approach to resolve diarrhea, loose stool, or stomach upset.)

What food are you feeding them? Foods with corn, wheat or yeast to name a few ingredients that can be a problem. I'm hoping one of the other member will add link for cats with IBD. Can you feed an all wet diet of pate type canned foods? What about a raw diet? Think grain free foods.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Jun 12 5:01 pm

Food & Nutrition > Why?
Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '14 11:25pm PST 
Fish has never been a regular part of pets diets up until World War 2. Meats were rationed and the pet for companies started using fish. If you think about it, in the wild the big cats never fished for their food. If salmon is a problem, omit it completely from her diet. I'd skip the tuna too. There are so many other proteins in cat food to try. Venison, lamb, pork, beef, chicken, duck.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 5 1:46 pm

Birman > A Ragdoll or Birman?

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Wed Feb 19, '14 8:28pm PST 
Birman do a Birman Huff. They are smaller than Ragdolls. Some say Ragdolls go limp.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Candie, Feb 19 8:28 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Petsmart 12/ 19 - 50% off Blue Naturally Fresh litter

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Thu Dec 19, '13 9:48am PST 
Today only!!! Part of the 12 days of Christmas, Petsmart has Blue Naturally Fresh Litter in the 6 lb. bags. Regular price $8.49-$8.99. Hurry, it only for today!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Candie, Dec 19 9:48 am

Food & Nutrition > How is Instinct Cat food? Urinary problems on Authority.

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Thu Dec 5, '13 7:20pm PST 
Even the cheapest canned food is better than any dry for cats with urinary issues. Even raw would be better than dry.

In our house, Brownie likes his wet food ground up. I have to make it like soup with a hand blender with extra water. Cookie like the pate ones. I'm still hoping to find the ones that Candie will eat. We are up to 40 cans a month with Brownie eating 75% of it.

You might have to try a few to see which ones work. I'd lucked out with the cheap ones with gravy for Brownie. (A can a day adds up! But is cheap then a vet bill.)

PetSmart Friends & Family weekend. Friskies is $0.35 a can with the 15% off coupon.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lady, Dec 12 9:43 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Will a closed litter box help the smell?
Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Mon Nov 11, '13 4:00pm PST 
Did you see that the Litter Genie Plus is at Patsmart? Did you also see this a BLACK FRIDAY Special?? Google it an see. It will be $9.99
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nugget, Nov 11 8:11 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.