Purred: Mon Aug 20, '12 2:59pm PST 
Shiva, you are too cute! Welcome!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Muffy, Aug 20 3:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Kitten prefers my husband
Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 7:53am PST 
Awww...good. Good choice on the food too. We did the same thing when we adopted ours. But Emily here misses the corn in the Science Diet and gobbles up all my kids' crumbs on corn muffin nights...lol. She has a thing for popcorn too. laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Alexander, Dreamboat #110, Apr 27 3:08 am

Behavior & Training > Suddenly more aggressive

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Fri Apr 13, '12 5:58am PST 
First, yes, definitely time for a spay and sometimes surging hormones can contribute to behavior problems.

But, she is a teenager now and coming into full "cathood." We have found that it is really important to provide bursts of interactive play for our 3 young cats every day (preferably several times per day.) They get their instinctive hunting and aggression out by chasing wand toys or chasing balls we toss over and over, etc... We find we must play with them, not just leave toys out because it is more like a real "hunt" when we make the toys move. Good luck.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by CK Angel Ryder Knowles, Apr 15 2:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Kitten prefers my husband

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '12 6:25am PST 
LOL. We've been there at our house. And I went through the same list of things my husband doesn't do. laugh out loud He even admits, "All I do is love them." For a while one of our males, Eko, preferred me and Emily here preferred my husband. Leo loves everyone. But things evened out over time and now they don't have a noticeable preference. Sometimes cats do seem to have a gender preference. I've seen it suggested that there could be a hormonal/pheromone type thing going on, but am not sure if there is any truth to that. Like you said, you may want to play it cool and not ignore her but not be too eager either. Maybe if she is not that interested in petting she would be interested in some playtime with a shoestring or wand toy. Emily here could never resist that.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Alexander, Dreamboat #110, Apr 27 3:08 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Adopted kitty hates my kids

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Mon Apr 2, '12 4:02pm PST 
My short answer would be...If the kids have had proper coaching on how to interact with cats and are acting in a cat friendly way then, after a reasonable amount of time, I would assume that the cat had some negative experience with kids and may never enjoy them. BUT, if the kids simply need coaching on how to interact with cats then I'd start there.

We had 5 and 7 year old sons when we adopted Emily here. Emily is a former feral kitten who was very shy and hid for two days when we brought her home. The number one rule everyone followed was "Let the cat come to you." We never tried to coax her out of her hiding spot or force her to interact. The kids know to extend their hand and see if she is interested before petting her, etc... She has blossomed in a major way at our house and loves my sons because they had the patience to let her and to not pursue her. It helps that they play wand toy games with her and our other two cats every morning too. Oh, and having the kids serve the cat their meals can create positive associations.

I'm sure others will have some words of wisdom for you. Good luck with the decision.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 5 9:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Tia's new habit...
Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Mon Mar 12, '12 3:07pm PST 
I'm perfectly scratching post trained but will still scratch the couch at times just to get mommy's attention if she is sitting there and I want her to get up and do something. laugh out loud That might not be what is going on with Tia but I thought I'd mention "scratching as communication" as a possibility.

My brother Leo was harder to train to a post, but we finally found one he likes and mommy started spraying the spots on the couch he liked to scratch with feliway spray (an off brand, but a calming spray.) It is not sold as a no scratch spray but mommy thought it might help and it did. Good luck.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Emily, Mar 12 3:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Strange change in behavior

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 9:21am PST 
We've heard and read several interesting stories of cats who lose their housemates and "fill in" for the deceased cat by picking up some of their behaviors...doing things their owners never thought they would see them do. We find it so interesting and wonder if that could be part of what is going on. I'm sure he is mourning too...poor fellow.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pandora, Feb 19 9:44 am

Choosing the Right Cat > Got Kitten ONLY for 1 year old cat, not sure how I feel... HELP!

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 4:14pm PST 
Don't worry about us thinking you are a terrible person...no judgement here. It sounds like you got the kitten for Sasha. How does Sasha feel about the new kitten? (Though as I typed that I realized 5 days is really too soon to tell. Cats take a long time to warm up to a new friend.)

Emily here was an only cat (but only remained one for 6 weeks.) She probably would have been okay remaining an only, but she does love feline companionship. I think most cats do.

And don't feel bad about not loving the new kitten. It took us a while to bond with ours. And even if you never have an extra special bond with him, it sounds like you were most concerned with Sasha's needs and added him for Sasha. I guess I don't have any real advice except to consider whether your goal for companionship for Sasha is being met (and again, that could take time to determine.) Good luck.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 20 11:48 pm

Kitten Corner > Sleeping in the bathroom

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 8:49am PST 
I don't think it is cruel at all (assuming she has water, soft bedding, toys, litterbox, etc..) Young kittens often feel secure in a small room. Ours slept in the laundry room for the first weeks in our home (and they were fine with it.) As far as how long she will be so active...that depends on her personality, which is hard to determine at such a young age. Cats usually calm down a bit as they age...but develop along different timelines.

She can be trained to sleep with you more peacefully, but hopefully others will be able to advise on that topic. We don't sleep with our cats (they are happy with the run of the living area at night), so I can't be much help there. I do know the basic priciple of ignoring any attention getting behavior while you are sleeping.

Cats will be calmer at night if their big meal comes at your bedtime. Also, a good interactive play time where you wear them out with a wand toy or laser pointer before the big meal will help. It mimics their natural pattern of hunt, feast, groom, sleep.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by CK Angel Ryder Knowles, Feb 16 7:00 am

Behavior & Training > feliway
Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Thu Feb 2, '12 10:13am PST 
We ordered ours through amazon for much less than the store price. With a little shopping around online you should be able to find a good price. I think one diffuser is supposed to cover 600 square feet or so.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Pieces, Feb 28 4:17 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.