GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Owning Cats Can Inflict Permanent Damage To Mental Health But Nobody Bothered To Warn Us.
Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Fri Nov 29, '13 12:34pm PST 
Just a lighthearted article that my fiance had sent me a little while back. The things we do for our cats....

http://distractify.com/people/personal/agonizing-struggl es-that-prove-cat-owners-are-the-best-people-ever/

laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 30 6:51 am

Food & Nutrition > Water Fountain Recommendations?
Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Tue Nov 13, '12 10:49am PST 
The holidays are nearing and it's made me re-remember that we had considered getting a water fountain for our two cats. They like drinking fresh water out of the bathroom sink or shower and sometimes like to get it fresh out of the tap. I don't want something super expensive- I'm trying to be budget conscious- but I know that often times the cheapest options can be just that- cheap quality. Does anyone have any experience or good options that I should check out?
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 2:07 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Ant Extermination

Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '12 12:11pm PST 
I'm late to the party for this response but in case anyone else has trouble, I thought I'd chime in. A few years ago we had a bad ant problem. It was mostly small sugar ants but there were occasionally some big ones too. We tried the traps for a little while but that didn't work. They kept getting into my cat's food and especially with her being older and with kidney problems, she would throw up food or hairballs and the ants would swarm it (gross). Finally we broke down and bought some Hot Shot Barrier Protection spray from Lowe's (until $10/gal) and sprayed both the outside and inside perimiters of the house. You have to keep your cats/dogs/other critters away from it while wet but it's safe once dry.

That took care of it no problem and we've never had an issue since then as long as we spray a couple times a year. Only when we had the strong infestation did we spray indoors- the rest of the time I just do the outside barrier and it's been fine. I know a lot of you (including myself) prefer not to have to use chemicals if possible but in my case it was the best option.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 12:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Russian Blue Behavior? Talkative?

Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 9:45pm PST 
I almost forgot that I asked this a while back...thanks for the responses! I've clicked through a few pics and I still think Izzy looks more like a RB or maybe a Chartreux than anything else. It doesn't matter to me technically what she is though...I love her to pieces at any rate. I am just amused because I have never had such a chatty cat. Izzy is special to say the least but I am happy to report that she is spoiled and well-loved here and nobody in this household has any allergies to give her up (I guess when we adopted her at 11 wks that the previous owners surrendered her because their baby was allergic) and if we did end up with them (allergies), well I guess we're taking Claritin or Zytec or something because I could never give up my baby.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 30 5:53 pm

Behavior & Training > Russian Blue Behavior? Talkative?

Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Fri Jun 8, '12 9:40pm PST 
This might seem like sort of a silly question to some. My fiance and I adopted two kitties about a year and a half ago and they will both be 2 this August. The one most definitely seems like a Russian Blue (mix) based on her coloring and size. Anyone else have one out there? I am amused also because they say typically Russian Blues are relatively quiet yet Miss Izzy is extremely talkative most of the day...she likes to meow at me when I get out of the shower, when we're in the kitchen and she wants petted and generally most of the rest of the day.

We adopted her from the local Humane Society and I doubt that she is a pure-breed (also shown by the slight gray tiger stripes in her tail) but she's petite and colored right but dang does she like to talk and tell you how it is. Anyone else have a talkative Russian Blue or Russian Blue mix or could she possibly be something else? It isn't terribly important as I love her to death no matter what but I guess I'm just curious...
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Aug 30 5:53 pm

Behavior & Training > Vacation Topic
Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Fri Jun 8, '12 9:33pm PST 
Every cat is different....that being said....I would take Tiger over to your parents rather than leave him at home for that long. My fiance and I went on a cruise last summer and left our almost 1yr old cats (kittens?) at his grandfathers house. Although the one cat who is very averse to change- she hid out for the first 3 days- was not pleased, the other extremely nebby and inquisitive one was completely fine. I'd say to take him over right before you leave because otherwise he might become frightened and uncomfortable for the visits, not understanding what is really going on. Best of luck that to your kitties for the transition and I hope you have a nice trip! smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 8 9:33 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Is there really a Rainbow Bridge?

Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Tue Jan 17, '12 1:58pm PST 
I don't have any proof of it but I'd like to think that there is a Rainbow Bridge and kitty heaven. Our cats are family to many of us and why shouldn't they go to heaven when they pass? They're much more loving and simple creatures than humans and face no judgement. My beautiful Lexus passed away a year ago in November and I like to think of her as running, chasing mice and sleeping her days away in a nice sunny bay window.

I have since adopted two wonderful, hilarious kittens (now adult cats) and I love them to pieces. I still think of Lexus and probably always will, but it's with fond memories. No cats will ever replace her (and when that time comes, no cats will replace Izzy and Nandi) but a new kitty is kind of like a furry angel to help you along the way.

P.S. Ruffy, your post about Sabrina was beautiful. cat on moon
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jan 19 1:56 pm

Cat Health > Over Eating kitteh

Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 11:33am PST 
Does he throw up when he overeats wet food, dry, or both?

My mom's one cat used to throw up if she'd eat too quickly and it didn't matter what brand of food it was. It was just as a result of her being a pig- she would try to eat more and keep the other 2 younger cats from the food bowl. Just a thought.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 11:33 am

Cat Health > Declawing: Yes or No?

Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 11:18am PST 
I too would caution against declawing unless it's an absolute last resort. I agree that there are a variety of ways to redirect his attention- toys and scratching posts or to stop him from clawing things that you don't want messed up- spray bottles work well at my house.

Both Isabelle and Nandi have their claws and they're generally pretty good about not clawing things they shouldn't. There's one chair that they'll go after and unfortunately I can't always catch them but otherwise we're lucky. They don't quite understand what a "normal" scratching post is for but they are allowed to use one table leg in the kitchen as their scratching post (odd, I know but we have more of the same wood if we need to replace it if it's too scratched up).

Does Toast have a scratching problem with furniture and curtains or is it more an issue with clawing you and/or family? He looks young yet so maybe it's a combination of age and behavior modification? Unfortunately it's a situation that you have to be patient and consistent with.

I trim my cats' claws and always trimmed my mom's other cats (they were declawed so had backs only) when I used to live at home. I'd definitely start trimming him now when he's young so he gets used to it and isn't as averse as some cats. My future MIL had clawing problems with her one cat and tried the soft paws for a while.

That being said...I've had cats in the past that were declawed and they were fine- no surgical issues and no personality changes. This was also many years ago when declawing was the norm and not ill-regarded like it is now. Every surgery carries risks though and it's definitely something to keep in mind. If absolutely nothing else can curb the behavior and as a last resort you do declaw Toast, make sure that he gets the best possible care that he can.

Best of luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 13 5:31 pm

Other Meows & Purrs > Catster moms age group
Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Wed Jan 4, '12 1:52pm PST 
Meowma is now in the last year of bracket D- 26-30. My sister Nandi and I are her first cats to raise on her own along with our dad. Mom always had cats growing up but technically they were her mom's cats or her bf's. We're their first set of children MOL!big grin
[notify]

» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by , Nov 7 8:29 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.