Postings by Hayley

GO!

Behavior & Training > Need Some Advice

Hayley

Stoopid Kitty

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 6:38pm PST 
When my cats want something, they will cry. When they want food, they cry. When they want a treat, they cry. When they want me to open the blinds, they cry. When they want affection, they cry. I know it is my fault for giving in to them whenever they cry for something, but with six cats, I feel like I'm their butler! How can I get my cats to stop crying when they want something? I've tried ignoring them, but I feel so bad for them and I eventually give in. I've heard about using a spray bottle with water, but I hate the thought of this.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 1 2:45 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Candy for Cats
Hayley

Stoopid Kitty

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 6:34pm PST 
I'm sure this sounds terrible, but my cats LOVE candy. They will eat peppermints, candy corn, and M&Ms. I know that none of this is really good for them, but can they have it once in a while? I never give any to Hayley anymore because of her GDS (Gastric Dumping Syndrome), but the other kitties enjoy a sweet candy treat once in a while (away from Hayley so she doesn't get jealous). Is this okay or should I not be doing this? My kitties really have a sweet tooth! They will beg from the candy jar! laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Umesaburo, Dec 12 5:47 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Cat Pee on Bed

Hayley

Stoopid Kitty

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 6:29pm PST 
Since Hayley has been sick she has either been staying in her crate (when I am not home) or on my bed when I am here. She doesn't mind her crate because she gets her own space away from the other cats. When she was really sick she urinated on my bed a few times because she couldn't actually get up and walk to the litterbox (which is on a table next to my nightstand, just for Hayley). Well, I have no clue how to get the urine smell out of my bed now. I've tried everything and it is still there!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Spike, Nov 28 6:58 pm

Raw Food Diet > GDS, Urine Crystals, and Raw?

Hayley

Stoopid Kitty

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 6:24pm PST 
Would raw be a good diet for a cat with GDS (Gastric Dumping Syndrome)? Also, Noah has had a few problems with urine crystals. Would raw help that? Hayley is on a prescription diet, IV fluids three times a day, and two different medications. Noah has had three episodes of urine crystals. I'm trying to find a new food and am looking at raw. When it comes to Hayley, I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to take her off the vet diet because she is so sensetive and is a very sick kitty.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Olivia, Tanner, & Finn, Nov 28 7:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > Wellness Cat Food

Hayley

Stoopid Kitty

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 6:20pm PST 
Does anybody feed Wellness? The pet store gave me a bunch of free samples and the cats seem to like it. I can't give it to Hayley because of her GDS (Gastric Dumping Syndrome) and because she is on a prescription diet, but the other cats seem to love it. Any experience with it? I got a few samples of Wellness CORE, Wellness Complete Health Adult, Wellness Indoor Health, Wellness Kitten Health, and Wellness Select. The cats seem to like the Wellness CORE the best. Would this be a good diet to switch them to?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lacey, Nov 29 10:01 am

Cat Health > Mystery Diagnosis: Kitty Conundrum
Hayley

Stoopid Kitty

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 6:11pm PST 
Hayley has been sick for the last 5 months and no vet can figure out why. It started with her vomiting and having diarrhea. I took her to the vet and they said she had a stomach bug and just gave her some fluids and a bit of medication. They kept her overnight and she seemed fine the next morning.

About a month later the same thing started again. She was vomiting and having diarrhea. That episode was very scarry. She couldn't stand up at all and I had to rush her to the emergency vet. She was diagnosed with gastric dumping syndrome (GDS). The vets put her on a special diet and thing seemed to clear up.

As if by clockwork, the next month she had the same episode. She was vomiting, had diarrhea, and couldn't walk. But this time she was drooling and trying to lick the floor. It was again, very scarry, so we made another trip to the e-vet. Again, I was told it was GDS and they put her on a lower carbohydrate prescription diet.

The next episode happened about 10 days later. Again, same stuff. Hayley was vomiting, had diarrhea, couldn't stand up or walk, drooling, and licking the floor. This time she just wanted to sleep and wouldn't even lift her head. She just kept going back to sleep. Back to the vet. Again, GDS was blamed. A new diet was prescribed, for the third time. This one didn't have any sugar in it and they thought that would cure it.

Only two days later another episode happened, all the same symptoms as the last one, but this time I noticed that she was covered in a very distinctive rash. We went back to the vet. It was about 3am so we had to go to the e-vet again. Again, I was told it was GDS. They told me to keep her on the diet the prescribed, but gave me an IV to take home. After every meal I was to hook it up to her (just a saline solution) so her body would have more water in it to help pass food along efficiently.

We did this for maybe 4 days. Then the same symptoms appeared again. She was vomiting, had diarrhea, couldn't stand up, was drooling, licking the floor, very tired, and her rash was back. But, this time, her stomach was HUGE! By now, I was fed up. I went back to the vet and told them that it the treatment wasn't working. They finally decided to admit her. She was there for 6 days. They told me it was just GDS. I was to keep her on the same food, continue with the IV treatments, and they put her on a medicine called Octreotide that I am to give her in a pill once a day.

She was fine for a week. Two wekes or so ago she had another episode; vomiting, diarrhea, unable to walk, drooling, licking the floor/bedding, very tired, rash, bloated stomach, and now a new symptoms: huge red spots OVER her rash. I was really reluctant to take her to the vet, but I felt she was going to die. Once again, the same old thing: GDS!!! They kept her for 9 days. When she was finally ready to come home she actually looked pretty good. I was to keep her on the same prescription diet, continue with the IV treatments after every meal, give her the Octreotide once a day and Cholestyramine twice a day. It has been 10 days since she came home from the vet and things seem to be getting better. I'm just not convinced this is GDS. She keeps getting worse. If anybody has the slightest idea what this could be, please let me know. I'm at the end of my rope. I'm afraid I'm going to loose my precious Hayley! cry
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Nov 29 3:24 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.