Postings by Ch. Posiepurrs Solidago

GO!

Cats and a Clean Home > Do you bathe your kitty?

Ch.- Posiepurrs- Solidago

Purred: Tue Dec 28, '10 6:51am PST 
We all get baths. The ones Mom shows get bathed (like me!) twice a week normally (Persians). Start out by clipping the nails FIRST! When in the sink/tub keep the cat turned away from you so they can't climb you like a tree. It is a protein in the saliva tha most people are allergic to. We don't particularly like the bath, but it is a necessary thing when you show. Mom has never been bitten while bathing us, but has been when one of us got startled while drying. That is why she now dries us in a bathroom with the door shut.
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Backstep, Aug 5 6:28 am

Grooming > I look scruffy!

Purred: Wed Sep 8, '10 4:20am PST 
Sounds like he may be greasy and in need of a bath. If he won't tolerate bathing try sprinkling a little cornstarch baby powder into the base of his coat and combing it out - should help, but a bath would be better.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, Nov 15 5:11 am

Cats & Travel > Can Cat Fly in This Carrier?

Purred: Sat Jul 24, '10 3:37am PST 
I haven't traveled by air with a cat in a long time, but if I were you I would check with the airline that you are using. When he is in the carrier can he turn around? I think this is one of the tings they look for when approving the carriers, as well as being able to fit under the seat in front of you.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Willow , Jul 26 10:34 am

Grooming > Matts Matts and more Matts!

Purred: Fri May 21, '10 4:03am PST 
If you bath the cat just be certain all the snarls are out first - otherwise they will tighten and be nearly impossible to get out. Even if the mats don't seem to bother him they can be very painful and we all know how easy it is for cats to hide pain or illness! Mats can cause infections under them to if tight to the skin. I find even with Persians I don't need to comb everyday IF the coat is kept clean. A greasy coat will tangle much faster than a clean one. I comb about every other day around here. Don't forget to wash your combs to, you don't want to put greas back into the coat once you get it out.
[notify]

» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Meoki, Jun 25 8:29 pm

Grooming > Matts Matts and more Matts!

Purred: Wed May 19, '10 2:55am PST 
Use a greyhound type comb instead of a brush. A brush will not go through a long thick coat - just gets the top layer of fur. The underneath hair will mat and felt. You have to be consistent with combing for the cat to tolerate it. Offer some type of reward so the cat will link it with grooming. Mine all get a treat or some baby food.
[notify]

» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by Meoki, Jun 25 8:29 pm

Cat Health > Cleaning Cat Litter Boxes

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 5:41am PST 
If you wash with dish soap first there really shouldn't be any urine residue. I use a brush and really scrub them out. Most people don't realize that you must replace the litterboxes regularly also - when they are scratched up on the bottom it is time to replace them. Bleach is inactivated by organic matter which is why you must wash the boxes first. Since I have a cattery situation I want to be certain that things are as sanitary as possible so they are scrubbed and bleached weekly (more often if needed)
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Meoki, Apr 20 8:16 pm

Cat Health > Cleaning Cat Litter Boxes

Purred: Sat Apr 17, '10 5:38pm PST 
Once a week they are dumped, washed, and bleached. Scooped daily, sometimes more than once a day since we have a houseful of felines.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Meoki, Apr 20 8:16 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Vacuum cleaners

Purred: Mon Apr 12, '10 3:21am PST 
I had a Dyson for a few years (the Animal). It worked well for awhile then I started having trouble with it. I have a small Persian cattery so you can imagine the amount of fur I deal with (also have a long hair dog). I bought another brand -a Kenmore sold by the department store, Sears. I am not sure if they would be available to you in Japan. I really like the Kenmore better than the Dyson for picking up cat hair and the price was much better to. I have had the Kenmore for goong on 5 years now with no trouble yet.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 16 3:12 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.