Postings by River

GO!

Cat Health > Need Advice Urgently re: Cats stressed over newly introduced foster kittens

River

I'm a Scared-y- Cat!

Purred: Mon Sep 24, '12 10:37am PST 
Maizy's Mom,

Well, that's good info to know because if I can't find someone to adopt them within the next month, I'll need to find a shelter to take them to. I don't want to go that route but I may have to. I definately can't keep them inside my house and it would not be good to put them outside b/c they are used to being indoors since 2.5 wks old.

I also work with a rescue group that does TNR. They have no one who can foster these kittens. They are offering to spay the mother kitty and all of her kittens, but that's all they can offer me (of course, that's a lot to offer, so I am grateful for that! It cost a lot to spay a cat & 6 kittens!).

I've talked to the manager of our local Humane Society and they also have no one who can foster, and they cannot take the kittens as they said they have 80 kittens on their waiting list to get into the shelter. The Humane Society was nice enough to bring us some kitten formula, dry cat food for our ferals and 50 cans of wet cat food. That was very nice of them.

I'm still putting pics of these kittens up on Facebook and I put up some ads with colorful pics of the kittens at my vets office. I'm nervous about putting ads other places (grocery stores, libraries, etc) because you never know who will respond. I'm so afraid of the wrong person trying to adopt these kittens. We have worked so hard in the past month and a half to get them where they are and we want to best forever homes for them. I feel safe about my ad at my vets b/c at least I know the people who might see it and want one of the kittens is someone who takes their animal to the vet when needed. Sigh. Giving babies up for adoption is such a scary, worrisome situation.

Hopefully something will work out. There is this Humane Society about 2 hours away from me that never turns down animals of any kind. The only thing that worries me is that all the Humane Societies test for Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS and they say if one kitten tests positive, they euthanize them all. That's just crazy because there are so many degrees of these diseases. According to my vet, some cats immune systems can fight off the disease (my cat Sammy tested positive for Feline Leuk years ago, but my vet re-tested him 2 weeks later and he was negative). Some tests can be false positives. Some cats can be carriers but not show any signs of the disease. Some cats can have the disease but live a relatively long life. And then there are the cats who get it and die fairly quickly. I just ticks me off that the Humane Society doesn't retest them in 2 wks like my vet does. It would just kill me if I gave these babies to them and they euthanized them because one of them tests positive.

Anyway, thank you all for your advice!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Sep 25 6:41 am

Cat Health > Need Advice Urgently re: Cats stressed over newly introduced foster kittens
River

I'm a Scared-y- Cat!

Purred: Sat Sep 22, '12 2:56pm PST 
I like your idea about courtesy posting on rescues websites. I'll look into that for sure.

It's really not an option to keep the kittens in the master bath. The only way to get into the bedroom is through the master bath. Long story, but there are two doors to the master bedroom, and the one leading to the hallway is blocked by heavy furniture and besides, we accidentally broke the handle on the door so it's stuck shut...so even if we moved all the stuff blocking the door, we can't get the door open. Plus, the kittens are at an age where they are really active and playing constantly, and the bathroom is just too small for them to run around in comfortably.

I just wish I could find a home for them. We've gotten them to this point...almost 7 weeks old. I'm ready for them to go so I can get my life back in order and get my cats to de-stress. Knowing my cats are stressed makes me stressed. I just can't feel right if they are not happy.

Thanks for the advice! If you guys think of some more ideas, keep them coming, please! In the meantime I'm going to try to figure out a solution!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Sep 25 6:41 am

River

I'm a Scared-y- Cat!

Purred: Sat Sep 22, '12 7:42am PST 
Abby,

I really can't let any of my cats be exposed to these kittens b/c they could have a disease they could pass to my cats. Also, all 8 of my cats have the herpes virus, which is highly contagious & if the kittens caught it, it could kill them at their young age. I wish that were an option but it's too risky for so many reasons.

Like I said in my original post, I've contacted several cat rescue orgs as well as the Humane Society & they all said they were unable to help. The Humane Society in my town has 80 kittens on a waiting list to get in there! It's crazy. I've put up ads at my vets office, on Catster & on Facebook but no one seems to want a kitten.

We're really in a bind b/c we've domesticated these kittens & if they don't get adopted, we're gonna have to put them back outside...but they aren't feral like their mom & siblings, so they will be so vulnerable out there. Plus it's getting cold already. Their siblings have already grown a thick wiinter coat, but our 3 inside haven't b/c they've been living in a warm house. It's just a bad situation all around. I just really hate living in this neighborhood where I am surrounded by all these ignorant, irresponsible people who bring unfixed cats in here & let them be outside & get pregnant. All 8 of my rescues were rescued in my neighborhood. Living here has cost me so much time, money & heartachr, but I'm too poor to leave.

Anyway, thanks for offering some suggestions. There just doesn't seem to be an easy answer. All I know is we need to find a home for these kittens asap so my 8 cats can get back to their normal lives (me too!)

River is a cutie. The pic on here of him was from when he was a kitten. He's around 4 yrs old now. My mom found River when she was out kyaking. She was paddling down the river & heard this screaming & saw River (only about 7 wks old at the time) screaming frantically from the edge of the river bank. She paddled over to him & he litterally leapt from the high bank onto her kyak & ran up her body & sat shaking on the top of her head! He was starving to death & so scared. He must have been dumped in the woods by people. He was clearly not feral. Had my mom not been there that day, River would most likely have died. We don't know how long River had bern in those woods, but we know it traumatized him. He's easily frightened & is tense a lot. I think that's why our oldest cat Kyah continually goes after him. She sees his behavior as the behavior of prey. She senses his fear & weakness. I REALKY need to get a cat Whisperer to come help me with the Kyah & River situation! I've tried about everything to stop Kyah from going after him, but nothing has changed. Sigh...

Anyway, would love more feedback! I could use all the help & advice I can get!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Sep 25 6:41 am

River

I'm a Scared-y- Cat!

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '12 2:27pm PST 
A month ago I found 3 abandoned 2.5 wk old kittens on my back porch. My mom & I brought them in our home & have had them quarenteened in our master bathroom & connecting master bedroom. It has been a long, exhausting month trying to hand raise these kittens & bottle feeding them every 3 hrs all day & night. Thank goodness they are now on kitten food!

My issue is that we have 8 rescue csts, all of which are seniors and/or have special needs/medical conditions. Our house is pretty small (only about 1,000 sq ft) & the loss of the master bath & bedroom has really decreased my 8 cats living space & disrupted their territories. Several of my cats don't get along & the ones that don't normally stay at opposite ends of the house. The cats who normally claim the back (now occupied by the kittens) are showing signs of stress & confusion. One of our cats in particular, River, is an insecure, easily frightened cat who has bren a target for our oldest (13 yrs) cat Kyah. River has always kept himself safe from Kyah by staying in the master bath/bed area but now that he can't get back there, Kyah is repeatedly going after River & he doesn't have msny places to hide.

My mom & I have done so much to try to get these kittens out of here, but no one is calling. We have great Ads with vivid pics of the kittens up at our vets office, we have pics & requests for adopters on Fscebook, & we have contacted several cat rescue orgs & Humane Societies, but none can take these kittens. Oh, & I have a post on Catster under the Adoptions forum as well.

I am so concetned about my 8 cats. They are clearly stressed & unhappy. Some of them are vomiting a lot, which worries me. I'm trying to give them extra attention (play time, catnip, treats & lovins) but each day they are getting more frustrated with thid situation (me too!) My house being small was pushing it to comfortably keep 8, but with the reduction of their living space b/c of the kittens, my cats just don't have enough room. I don't know what to do to remedy this situation. I have no idea how long it will take to find these kittens a home, & I feel like my 8 csts can't deal eith this living situstion much longer.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Sep 25 6:41 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > 3 Abandoned Kittens in Central Ohio Need Foster or Forever Home ASAP!

River

I'm a Scared-y- Cat!

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '12 7:13am PST 
A month ago my mom & I found 3 abandoned kittens on our back porch. These kittens were only around 2.5 weeks old. Their mother is a feral cat who had 6 kittens under my house. The 3 she abandoned were the smallest, & we think she couldn't produce enough milk for all of them (mother kitty was extremely emaciated when she first showed up...we've been working hard to beef her up & in the past month she's put on a good amount of weight & the 3 kittens she kept are thriving!)

My mom & I have worked so hard to get these 3 abandoned kittens to where they are (many exhausting nights taking shifts to bottle feed). They are now 6.5 weeks old. The problem is, is we have 8 rescue cats who are stressed because of these kittens. We have the kittens quarenteened in the master bathroom & connected master bedroom. Our house is fairly small & several of our rescues are displaced because they can't get in where the kittens are. Our cats don't all get along & they have their own territories & safe-spots & several of them call that area of our house their territory. So I'm extremely worried about our 8 rescues, many whom are elderly or have special needs.

I REALLY need someone who can take these kittens & either foster them or adopt them. They are completely domesticated & super sweet & playful. We have been working hard litter training them, they have been wormed twice, & they are already on kitten chow. There is a tiger-stripped male named Raja, & two black females (Cocoa & Samara) who both have a little white under their necks.

If you live in or around Central Ohio & would be willing to foster or adopt these kittens, please let me know. I have reached out to several rescue orgs & the Humane Society, & can't find anyone able to take these kittens. For the sake of my 8 rescues (who are my #1 priority) I need to find these kittens a home. I live 20 min North of Columbus, Ohio so if you live nearby, & are willing to help, please let me know!

Thank you so much!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by River, Sep 21 7:13 am

Behavior & Training > Attack kitty!
River

I'm a Scared-y- Cat!

Purred: Fri Dec 10, '10 6:55am PST 
The thing is, I put Kyah in time-out all the time but it doesn't seem to stop her. I also chase her after she attacks, clapping my hands at her and telling her she's a bad girl. She runs back to her home-base (my bedroom) but it won't be long till she goes after River again!

I WAS hoping Kyah would eventually get over it and stop going after River, but it's been nearly two years of this and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. We did try holding Kyah and River close to eachother and letting them smell eachothers tails (safely) but River gets so upset by these encounters he shakes, and once we let him down he goes and hides for hours. I'm afraid that's doing more harm than good.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by littleboy, Dec 18 11:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Attack kitty!

River

I'm a Scared-y- Cat!

Purred: Thu Dec 9, '10 6:10pm PST 
I have an 11 yr old female cat named Kyah who is constantly trying to attack our 2 yr old male rescue named River. Kyah is the oldest cat in the house (we have seven cats all together). I've had Kyah since she was born.

My mom (who is also my roomate) found River 2 summers ago while she was kyaking on the river. Poor River was screaming at her from the bank and when she paddled up to him, he jumped onto her boat and climbed on top of her head! He looked to be only around 8 or 9 weeks old. He was totally emaciated and my mom brought him home to nurse him back to health.

River has always been really nervous. We have no idea what River experienced out in the woods. We think someone must have dumped him there because he was tame and had no fleas. He spent the first year with us hiding under my moms bed. We tried everything to get him out (pheramone plug-ins, natural calming meds to put in his water) and finally he started venturing out into the house.

Not long after, Kyah started going after him whenever she saw him. River was terrified. He would hide under my moms bed for days after she would go after him. Sometimes she would catch him and claw at him. He would be shaking after.

For the past 4 months or so there was peace but lately the attacks have started up again. We're kind of at our wits end. We have seven cats total in our house and Kyah doesn't go after any of the others. She's not too friendly with them but she tolerates them.

I wonder if Kyah goes after River because she senses he is weak and unstable? I'm not making excuses for her but if she gets means with the other cats, they put her in her place and she backs down. How can I stop her from going after him? No kind of scolding stops her. Squirting her with water won't work because I never see these attacks coming. I can't isolate either one of them to a section of my house because my home is too small.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else dealt with an anxiety-stricken cat? Or a cat who attacks another cat? Would love to hear some feedback on this one!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by littleboy, Dec 18 11:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Male cat arousal...

River

I'm a Scared-y- Cat!

Purred: Fri Feb 26, '10 4:11am PST 
My mom's neutered cat River "humps" her almost every night when she's in bed ready to go to sleep. He climbs up and first starts kneading her on her legs or stomach. Then he'll start humping away! lol My mom gets so mad and often pushes him off the bed in frustration. We think River does it because he's is the lowest on the totem poll of cats in our house and is also a very nervous, shy cat and we think he does it to comfort himself and make himself feel more confident.

Now, my brothers neutered male cat Sebastian "humps" on his spayed female Missy multiple times a day! We're never sure if there's any penetration, but they both make crazy noises and really "go at it". It's so embarrassing when we're all hanging out and they start up. I personally think they do it because they have nearly no stimulation at my brothers. He's not much of a "cat person" (they were his ex-wife's cats and she left them with him when she moved out) and my bro doesn't do much to enrich their lives. They live a pretty boring life, and are stressed a lot when he has his kids every other week (they are pretty loud and wild kids) frown Wish I could take them to live with me but I have too many kitties of my own.

So I guess my point is, sometimes they may do it to comfort themselves, out of boredom, or maybe they're just horny!
[notify]

» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Jaguar, Apr 27 11:56 am

Cat Health > sneezing a LOT, but appetite is normal. should I worry??

River

I'm a Scared-y- Cat!

Purred: Mon Feb 22, '10 10:13am PST 
All my cat have the Herpes virus and when they start sneezing I know they are having a flair-up. From all I've learned about Upper Respiratory Infections in cats, they are always due to some kind of virus (90% of URI are due to either the herpes virus or the calicivirus)

For herpes, the main treatment is an amino-acid called L-Lysine. You can get it from your vets, some pet supply stores, or even online. They come in powder, gel or treat form. I give my cats the gel and mix it in with a little wet food. Some won't eat wet food so I have to use a needleless syringe to give it by mouth.

If your kitty does have herpes, know that stress is what often triggers an outbreak. I have to give my cats L-lysine every day (2x/day) even if they aren't have a flair-up, just to keep the virus at bay. L-lysine suppresses the virus so it's important to give it to them daily to keep the virus from becoming active.

One product I bought that helped keep my cats stress levels down is called "Feliway Plug In" (it's like a Glade Plug-In you plug into an outlet) and it's filled with cat pherimones that can help keep your kitty calm. It is expensive, but it's helped my cats a lot (it REALLY helped one of my cats who has a nervous disorder and used to hide most of the day...now he's much more confident and plays with his kitty friends, which he never did before) You can buy the Feliway plug-in at PetSmart or even online (I did find it online for much cheaper...can't remember the name of the website...will post later if I can find it)

Good luck with your kitty!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by River, Feb 22 10:13 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.