Postings by Mister Grey (Striped Seven)

GO!

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

Cats and a Clean Home > Does the kitty litter type actually have an importance for cats?
Mister Grey- (Striped- Seven)

TICA M.S. (HHP- Champion)

Purred: Wed Nov 20, '13 4:49pm PST 
I think you should use what works for your cats. My cats have allergies so we can't use anything dusty, with fragrances, and avoid litter made out of grains.
I also have tried several litters that ended up causing swollen feet/infections due to contact dermatitis because of their allergies. So for my cats, it is very important what litter we use.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 18 3:59 pm

Food & Nutrition > Thinking of switching from prescription allergy food

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 8:27pm PST 
Oh yeah, I saw that Instinct powder stuff at the pet store recently, I might give that a try for a taste enhancer, thanks!

I'm not sure about the feeder mice idea...this is gross but my cats caught two mice before and one they didn't actually kill completely, the other we found dead in the middle of the floor. So I don't think they actually were interested in eating them (which was good in this case as I wouldn't want them to eat a wild mouse where I have no idea where it's been!)
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ramsey, Aug 25 5:21 pm

Purred: Thu Aug 23, '12 3:28pm PST 
I went to the vet today for a recheck and my vet mentioned another food we could possibly try-- apparently Evanger's has a beef and rabbit dry food called "Grain-Free Meat Lover's Medley with Rabbit". It looks like it has several different protein sources though, but they are beef, rabbit, and pork which are still 'novel' sources so it is a possibility.

I asked my vet about the Canine Caviar, unfortunately she couldn't find it on her distributor's website, so she called them and they said they might be able to special order it but it would take a long time unfortunately. I'm trying to see if the pet store owner who told me about it might be able to order me small sized bags so I can try it out.
She is also emailing a dermatologist about my cats issues to see if we can try anything else besides what we are already doing.

Thanks for the link Merlin!
That is why I was leery of the Fortiflora because of the animal digest, if we don't know what animal source it is then it could trigger their allergies...
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Aug 25 5:21 pm

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 9:47pm PST 
Thanks Merlin! I looked at the TCfeline site but it says it is available in Canada only?

I'm not sure about the Fortiflora, with the animal digest since it does not specify the type of "animal" it is made out of I am afraid it could trigger their allergies. thinking
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Aug 25 5:21 pm

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 5:20pm PST 
I'm not sure about turkey, I've been avoiding it just in case but don't know for sure if either may be allergic, but it's not a novel protein for them since they were all eating Orijen before Mr Grey's allergy issues first started. I may ask my vet what she thinks about the LID Turkey food as an option assuming the cats would eat it, because I remember they wouldn't eat the Instinct chicken formula when I tried it (way before the allergy issues.)

Cookie I have tried those treats for my dogs but most of my cats refuse to eat any treats so I don't think I've given then any before.

Merlin I did try some commercial raw before, Primal, but I could not get any of the cats to touch it. I even tried warming it up, but nope. Most of my cats refuse to even touch cooked meat, either! It is very frustrating. I would like to try again though if I can figure out a way that I can get them to eat it...
Part of the problem is if I can't get all four of them to switch, then I would still have to have the kibble around for the rest which would make switching even more difficult since they'd still have the option to eat the kibble...
Wysong Anergen contains grains.
Can you give me another link to the cooked meat recipe, the link didn't work for me?
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Aug 25 5:21 pm

Purred: Tue Aug 21, '12 11:17am PST 
Yep I've tried the Stella and Chewy's beef and also Ziwipeak Venison but they wouldn't eat either one. frown I ended up having to use them as treats for my dog!
I'm not sure if they've eaten lamb before or not. Beef seems to be fine for Mr Grey, I don't know if Harley has had it before.

I think either mackerel or salmon may be out but I am not sure which one it was for sure, I just tried a new pouch food of mackerel, salmon and tuna. Mr Grey will sometimes eat Solid Gold tuna canned and has had Evanger's canned mackerel before so I thought I would try this one but now his lips are swollen and red. frown I can't remember when we last tried the mackerel though so I am not sure if it was that or the salmon that caused it.
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Aug 25 5:21 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Walnut cat litter

Purred: Mon Aug 20, '12 10:50pm PST 
They don't really have edges, the consistency is not really like shards of walnut shell, but more granular or crumb like. Not sharp at all.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shade, Aug 23 7:02 pm

Purred: Mon Aug 20, '12 10:46pm PST 
My vet also said the food allergy testing is not very accurate as well as expensive, so we decided against it...I did mention the Canine Caviar food to my vet and she said she would look up the ingredients/info, she does carry some things from Canine Caviar but she didn't know those particular formulas which I think are new.

I once emailed Nature's Variety and asked about why they had chicken in all their dry foods, and they said it was because it's hard to make a dry cat food without either fish or chicken because they are low in ash and help keep the mineral content down. thinking
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Aug 25 5:21 pm

Purred: Thu Aug 9, '12 1:30pm PST 
I was at a pet store today and the owner told me Canine Caviar now has some dry foods with "novel" protein sources so I am thinking one of these might be a possibility for my kitties who have food allergies so I was curious what people think about this food. thinking

My cat My Grey has severe allergies and immune issues/eosinophilic granuloma compliex, and his littermate Harley seems to have started to develop allergy issues too. I feed all my cats the same food though because it's impossible to keep them out of each others' food.
They're currently eating prescription Royal Canin hypoallergenic rabbit (dry) but I've been hoping to maybe find something better quality... We don't know for sure what they are allergic to because the allergy testing is so expensive, so initially my vet said to avoid chicken or fish, but they seem to be ok with tuna and I've been avoiding poultry. So we are trying to stick to allergy/limited ingredient/'novel' protein type foods. Avoiding grains but they've never really been on a food with grains, anyway. There are very few dry foods without chicken/fish for cats out there and most of my cats unfortunately refuse to touch canned or raw food, although I do offer them canned food as well.
One of the few other foods I know of that has no poultry/fish is Addiction Viva la Venison, but I've tried that before and my cats didn't like it that much, and they would not even touch the Natural Balance foods back when I tried those when Mr Grey first developed his allergy issues.

These are the two Canine Caviar foods:

Free Range Buffalo Grain Free

Ingredients: Buffalo Meal, Chickpea, Lamb Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Buffalo Tripe Meal, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Culture, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Culture, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Culture, Sun-Cured Kelp, FOS (prebiotic), Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Selenium, Fenugreek, Taurine, Vitamin E, Zinc Proteinate, Papaya, Rose Hips, Vitamin C, Niacin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B-12, Folic Acid, Potassium Proteinate.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 33.0 % min. Ash 6.5 % max.
Crude Fat 20.0 % min. Magnesium 0.062 % max.
Crude Fiber 3.2 % max. **Taurine 0.2 % min
Moisture 8.0 % max. Sodium 0.17 % min.
**Omega 6 2.8 % min. Calcium 2.7 % min.
**Omega 3 1.0 % min. Phosphorus 2.0% min.

New Zealand Venison Grain Free Indoor Cat

Ingredients: Venison Meal, Split Peas, Lamb Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Menhaden Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Culture, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Culture, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Culture, Sun-Cured Kelp, FOS (prebiotic), Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Selenium, Fenugreek, Taurine, Vitamin E, Zinc Proteinate, Papaya, Rose Hips, Vitamin C, Niacin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B-12, Folic Acid, Potassium Proteinate.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 28.0 % min. Ash 4.9 % max.
Crude Fat 20.0 % min. Magnesium 0.086 % max.
Crude Fiber 4.0 % max. Taurine 0.2 % min
Moisture 8.0 % max. Sodium 0.22 % min.
**Omega 6 3.5 % min. Calcium 1.0 % min.
**Omega 3 1.1 % min. Phosphorus 0.9% min.

In comparison this is the food they're on now:

Royal Canin Hypoallergenic PR Ingredients:
Ground peas, rabbit meal, pea protein, coprah oil, rabbit, soya oil, natural flavors, calcium sulfate, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), sodium bisulfate, monocalcium phosphate, DL-methionine, salt, taurine, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (min) 30
Crude Fat (min) 11
Moisture (max) 10
Crude Fiber (max) 7
Moisture (maximum) 8
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Aug 25 5:21 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Walnut cat litter

Purred: Wed Aug 8, '12 10:59pm PST 
I have been using it for a while now-- first I was using one called "Purr and Simple" which is also walnut shells, and then I started using the Blue litter when they came out with theirs. It has not aggravated my cats' allergies. I can't use many other types of litter because my cats have both food and environmental allergies so I stay away from the corn/wheat litters due to food allergies and others due to the environmental ones... My cats are also prone to foot infections and they haven't had a problem with that on the walnut litter either (knock on wood!) I have had so much trouble finding a litter that will not track everywhere, has good odor control, won't get stuck in my cats' feet and won't aggravate their allergies but this one has been working out the best out of the things I've tried.
I use Tidy Cat Breeze boxes for most of the litterboxes, which uses special pellets instead of litter, but my cats protest if they don't have at least one box with actual litter in it.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Shade, Aug 23 7:02 pm

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.