Postings by Guest ID 699813

GO!

Cat Health > Diarrhea in adult cats - information for interested cat owners!

Purred: Sun Aug 18, '13 3:25pm PST 
I just want to put it out there that a new cat we adopted had diarrhea for months and months, 6 at least. The vet prescribed all kinds of meds, but nothing worked. We tried different foods; no results. I experimented myself at home and when I gave her catnip, I noticed that her diarrhea wasn't as bad. Finally, it came to me that when I gave her the catnip, she wasn't eating as much of the food. A lightbulb came on when I checked all of the foods we had given her, including what she was eating at the time, and I noted that they all had CORN as a prime ingredient in them. I switched to a corn-free dry food, and bingo -- her diarrhea disappeared overnight!!! And it hasn't returned! In order to use up what we have of the food with the corn, I sprinkle a little bit of it in with her food and she's able to tolerate the little bit. But -- try a corn-free diet for your cat if she has diarrhea. It may be just what the doctor did (not!!) order!! I just want to save other people months of worry and frustration so I'm passing this on.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 3:25 pm

Cat Health > really bad diarrhea

Purred: Mon May 6, '13 9:33am PST 
I am convinced that the food companies are adding more filler to their food. The filler they use is corn, for the most part. Recently I put a post on this forum under "loose stools," about our Rosie, who had this problem (loose poop/diarrhea) for over 6 months. Finally we started feeding her food with no corn, no corn gluten, no wheat, and totally natural, organic. She cleared up the same day she started to eat it. She had gotten really bad when we opened a brand new bag of Iams gastrointestinal Plus dry food, prescribed by the vet (there's corn grits and corn meal in it). It hadn't worked before at clearing up her problem (it worked on our other cats who had developed the same problem of loose stools), and when I opened this new bag, Rosie's diarrhea got worse. So -- that's my theory, that the newer stuff has more corn in it and that my Rosie can't tolerate corn.
It is more expensive than the other food, but what we use now is called "nulo naturals." They have dry and canned food. We got ours at Earth Fare markets, but I think they sell them at Whole Foods. It is more expensive, but to me it is really worth it not to worry about Rosie anymore! We mix a little bit of the Iams in with the nulo food, just to use up the Iams, and Rosie seems able to tolerate a little bit of the Iams.
Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 18 8:13 am

Cat Health > Soft Stools, Diarrhea: Solutions & Experiences

Purred: Mon May 6, '13 9:22am PST 
Hi, everyone!
I'm the one who wrote about the catnip helping.
Well, it didn't work long term but we did find a solution. I think the reason that the catnip helped was because when she ate the catnip, she didn't eat as much of her food. That finally occurred to me. And the one thing that was in all of the food we gave her was CORN. So we switched to a NO-CORN, NO CORN GLUTON, NO WHEAT, totally organic dry food called "nulo Naturals" (which stands for nutrition plus love). We bought it at the Earth Fare market, but I think Whole Foods sells it too, plus you can get it on line. Well, since she's been eating this food, she's been fine: NORMAL TOOTSIE ROLL POOP! I even mix just a little of the other food we were using (Iams gastrointestinal Plus dry prescription food) just to use it up (there's corn grits and corn meal in it), and as long as she doesn't get a lot of the food with corn in, she's fine. The other cats are good with it too. I'm glad to report a definite success!!
I know what a worry and a pain this is, so I hope you all who are having this problem can find a solution. You might want to try this food.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 6 9:22 am

Cat Health > Soft Stools, Diarrhea: Solutions & Experiences

Purred: Sat Apr 20, '13 7:29am PST 
I possibly just found a solution to my Rosie's soft stools, after we've tried a little bit of everything: FRESH catnip. I happened to find some down in our pasture and brought it inside, gave her a leaf. For the first time since November, without help (like diarrhea medicine that only worked for a few days), her poop was normal! I gave her a leaf a day and her poop stayed normal. When I didn't give her a leaf, she had loose poop. Now I'm not saying the catnip IS what solved her problem (could be coincidental, but not likely!) and am not saying it would work for everyone, but so far it looks promising. I don't know if it is something that will resolve itself eventually without the catnip or not. The other two cats suddenly had loose poop in December, and in January we switched to a prescription Iams food - Intestinal Plus - and it worked in 3 days for them, but not for Rosie. She's had loose poop since November when she was on an antibiotic. But we tried FortiFlora and that seemed to make it worse. The vet couldn't figure out what her problem is and he did tests that showed nothing. Anyway, there it is -- maybe this will help somebody else. It is nice to scoop tootsie roll poop instead of the loose stuff that sometimes drips off the scooper! YUCK!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 6 9:22 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.