Postings by Guest ID 1193325

GO!

Kitten Corner > kitten playing to rough...

Purred: Mon Oct 7, '13 6:18pm PST 
I like the last response. To add to this, I researched this issue for our 4 mo. kitten. Best advice: never use hands as toy and don't allow kitten to bite you at all. Immediately redirect to toys. I also use a soft little stuffed bear. Watch the kitten's body language and you can see signs before the lunge and bite. When you see it coming, gently push the bear into the kitty's four leg lock and let her bite it. Before long she/he will use the bear for that stress relief. Some kitty's only like a little petting on the head and then show the body signs and that means they are stressed beyond that point, 2 strokes, 4 strokes, whatever. Kitty was leaping on our bed, on us, and going in crazy circles. I found my husband was petting and rubbing her head like a dog, and she was over-stimulated. I showed him the article about this and now we are on the same page. We try to tire her with her fishing line toy before bed and not allow any play on the bed. She gets the idea very quickly. If she seems too ansy, I hold the fishing pole toy on the floor where she can play for 5 minutes. Then, she is happy. If I didn't redirect the play she would be climbing drapes, etc. And...this is a calm breed. Cats live by routines and she lets me know if I miss anything by a little cat talk. I can usually figure it out.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 9 9:32 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.