Postings by Guest ID 1192587

GO!

Cat Health > Cat Attacked by a Raccoon

Purred: Thu Oct 3, '13 10:25pm PST 
It had been a little less than a year since his last rabies booster and they didn't want to overvaccinate, he'll be fine and we just need to watch for infection.

Also this is official CDC information, if cases of rabies were reported to the proper local officials, the cases would most likely be on here, the information in the survailance data for 2011 shows that yes there were cases of reported foxes, skunks, and bats in the mid-west. Further data from previous years does include more information. However it does not say much about raccoons in the midwest and if your local officials say that is an issue then I'd bet on them being right. In my local area though rabies in general is just not a thing that happens very often, and when it does it's almost always from bats.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rory , Oct 5 10:43 am

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 7:59pm PST 
Its not my call to make, my girlfriend will be calling the vet tomorrow, or the e-vet tonight. As I had nothing to report back about what the vet said since she has yet to call, I didn't mention it. I just felt it necessary to respond to the person who was misinformed about rabies in the area I specified I lived in because it could do them good to know as a pet owner what common rabies carriers they should be on the look out for. I'm attempting to help someone who was helping me.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Rory , Oct 5 10:43 am

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 5:39pm PST 
Raccoons are only common carriers on the East coast.
http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/images/2010-wildlife-reservoirs.gi f

You can view the survailance data here: http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/wild_animals.htm l

In California, skunks and bats are usually what carry rabies and not much else.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Rory , Oct 5 10:43 am

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 11:16am PST 
My girlfriend's cat was recently attacked by a raccoon and he wasn't hurt very bad, just a little scratch on the nose which they disinfected and cleaned immediately after they brought him inside. However, we are unsure if we should take him in to get a rabies booster or not? He's up to date on shots, and I mean completely, he got a booster for rabies about a year ago or maybe even less. We live in California where rabies is rare and I don't think its spread through raccoons very often. I've also heard having too many boosters in a short amount of time can cause harm or have bad side effects so I really don't know what to do.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Rory , Oct 5 10:43 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.