Postings by Guest ID 1167924

GO!

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Fennie, our beloved cat

Purred: Fri May 3, '13 9:46am PST 
A few days ago I made a decision to have my 11 year old cat put to sleep. I have felt guilty and sick to my stomach and can't get her out of my mind. I still have her food, scratch pad and sleeping basket within sight. I believe I was too hasty. For about 2 years she had been having bowel movements on the rug. We had her checked by a vet back then and they said she was healthy and couldn't find anything wrong with her. She ate well, loved her treats, and would seat next to us our on our lap at times during the day.

Fennie was my mom's cat (mom passed on 4 years ago). We loved the cat and kept her. We just sold our house and will be closing at the end of the week. We will be moving to FL and felt we could not take Fennie with us, since we will be renting for a few months before buying a place. How could we take a cat to a rental place that goes poo on the carpet? We also want to travel to Boulder and San Fran to visit 2 of our children who live there and would be perhaps staying at a month at a time. We are retired. We tried for the last 3 months to try to find someone to take her but even the "no kill shelters" could not take a cat 11 years old. We asked friends and everyone we came in contact with, but who wants a cat that poos on the rug.

I feel we should have had her checked out one more time with the vet to see if maybe her problem could have been corrected by medication or diet, etc. Then if there was nothing that would solve her problem, putting her to sleep would have been more justified.

I've been sleeping with her blanket which I don't if that is healthy or not. I had a perfectly beautiful cat put down with her only problem being the bowel movements. I ask myself why didn't I have her checked out again by a vet before making this "hasty" decision.

Any suggestions as to how to deal with this?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, May 4 2:34 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.