Postings by Guest ID 1146612

GO!

Cat Health > Jack's injured his leg - very scared!

Purred: Tue Dec 25, '12 9:49pm PST 
Hello,

My kitty Jack is 7 years old, and he's admittedly obese. He's an indoor cat and lazy by nature, so he doesn't get a lot of exercise or do crazy things.

But out of nowhere, he can limping up to me and his front leg was swollen. He keeps it completely off the ground and he won't bend it at all, which makes me very afraid that it's broken. It's swollen allover, but especially by his ankle. He doesn't seem to be in pain when he's just lying there, but if we try to examine it he gets all touchy and anxious, so I assume it hurts.

Now he's lying down as he has all day. He's not grooming himself (I can see the effects already) and he won't get up by himself (understandably.) I have to carry him to his food and water bowl; I'm not sure if he's used the litter box. I've carried him to it but he hasn't used it, unless he got up and limped over there himself.

I am very, very concerned. I'm a 17 year old high school student; my parents can't and won't afford to pay for a huge vet bill (financial have gotten tighter since we got him.) If his leg is broken, then I just don't know what I can do. I've been doing a bit of googling, and all I see are reports of surgeries, pins and plates, and need for later operations. I don't even want to know how much that costs - I can't afford a vet visit and X-rays, much less surgery! My brother is switching colleges and especially with the holidays my parents don't have vet money right now either.

I can upload pictures if that would help; I'm so worried for the big guy! I didn't see what happened, it literally came out of nowhere. As I said [I]we cannot afford a vet right now.[/I] I'd even consider giving him up to the humane society, but a 7 year old cat with a possibly broken limb? Sounds like euthanasia material.

I'd really appreciate any advice I can get. I'm really worried about Jack and I don't know how I can help him get more comfortable, much less better.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Monster, Dec 26 8:11 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.