Postings by Guest ID 1120414

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Cat Health > Feeding Tube
Sushi

Purred: Tue Jun 25, '13 9:26pm PST 
The vet is worried that too much water will cause him to not be able to absorb the nutrients in the food, or will cause his liver to have issues (I forget what it's called) Therefore I feed him dry food before tube feeding him to help soak up some of the moisture.

Another question, sorry! Is there a way I can make the tube food thinner without losing calories? Since it's a nose tube I have to add tons of water to make the food go through, however that means it's less calories per ml. The vet says I can only do 6 ml per two hours which isn't much so I want to find a way to make the food more liquidy without the water, any ideas? How about fermented goat's milk like the kind that Answers sells? Or would that not be good because of his compromised immune system?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Jun 29 7:58 pm

Sushi

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 10:12pm PST 
Update with a question: Sushi's doing a bit better! happy dance He's eating some on his own which is good. Though I laid out a bunch of choices of cat food wet, dry, and treats for him, what does he chose? The cheap as chips horrible quality Wegmans food. shrug Though it's a heck of alot better than nothing.

Here are a few questions I had... First, he seems to have an infestation of fleas, however I can't give him any flea meds in his current state. What could I do to get rid of the fleas? Any idea of any healthier dry food that would be really appealing? (He has to be on dry because he's getting so much liquid through the tube)
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Jun 29 7:58 pm

Cat Health > FIV + cat

Sushi

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 4:06pm PST 
I've got two FIV positive cats living with three FIV negative cats. The chances of it spreading are low since it's not like it's passed on from just eating or drinking. Among spayed and neutered cats the only way of spreading is through a bite. Even if one of the cats got FIV it's not a death sentence, many cats live long happy lives with FIV. I've got a 17 year old FIV positive cat who doesn't show any signs of slowing down anytime soon and acts like a kitten, he plays more than any of the other cats in the house.

Even if you don't chose to keep him, you can find him a good home yourself. List him on cat adoption websites and question the people who apply, make sure they know their stuff when it comes to FIV.

From what I know the shots don't work. A cat with the shot will also test positive for FIV which is bad if the cat ever got out of the house on accident and a shelter picked them up.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 25 1:09 pm

Sushi

Purred: Sat Jun 22, '13 7:54pm PST 
Thanks Merlin! We've got some Authority on hand so I'll try some of that in the morning.

Update: He's home and doing ok, though he seems very drained. I'm hoping that's just because he spent the day at the vet and he'll be better tomorrow. Sadly the vet says there isn't a great chance he'll make it through but he's still happy, purring, and in no pain so there isn't a reason to stop trying. The vet commented that even when he was poking him with needles and inserting the tube he just sat there loudly purring.

Poor guy's got an iron deficiency so he's been licking the cement floor in the basement and eating his litter. cry Though we've been tube feeding him an iron supplement. The vet said to give half a dropper per day but the bottle says two half full droppers per day for puppies, kittens, cats, and dogs, so I've bumped him up to that.

The vet put him on 2 ml of food every two hours, but he seems to be fine getting 2 ml every hour so that's what I've been doing. He's also been eating and drinking a bit on his own which is good. He also still goes to the bathroom in his own little pan and walks and jumps up to get water.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Jun 29 7:58 pm

Sushi

Purred: Sat Jun 22, '13 1:30pm PST 
Thanks Tigger!

Update for anyone interested: He was fine getting the tube in, and tolerates it well. In fact the doctor was cracking up when he told my Mother about how apparently when they were putting the tube in he was purring really loud. laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Jun 29 7:58 pm

Sushi

Purred: Sat Jun 22, '13 10:50am PST 
Hello,

So Sushi's getting a feeding tube put in through his nose to get food and meds into him. What I'm wondering is what kind of food would be "Thin" enough to go through the feeding tube? Vet recommended the prescription diet food however I'd much rather feed him something better for less. Also, what kinds of things can I add to help him out? I'm going to be adding some Acidophilus, Fish Oil, and his meds but is there any other liquid things that may help him to have more energy/appetite/build up his immune system?

Also, any tips or anything like that are more than welcome.

Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Jun 29 7:58 pm

Cat Health > Not Eating...

Sushi

Purred: Tue May 21, '13 11:52am PST 
Sadly, he's one of the best vets around believe it or not. We have horrible vets in this area. Though I believe he may have that also, his last blood test came back low on almost everything, so that could be a problem.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sushi, May 21 11:52 am

Sushi

Purred: Tue May 21, '13 1:52am PST 
Thanks for the help everyone! I asked about an appetite stimulant and he suggested b12 (I think that's what it was) So he'll now be getting a shot of that every month. He just got one today so in the next few days we'll know if it's going to work or not.

Hopefully my little Chew will get better soon!

Sadly he has FIV, and the vet's office doesn't understand what that is. They think it's some highly spreadable thing that's going to kill all the other cats. The one nurse who loves cats wouldn't even pet him, and he has to be put in the back room segregated from all the other animals (Because it's going to spread to them if they even breath the same air) silenced
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sushi, May 21 11:52 am

Sushi

Purred: Sat May 11, '13 2:07pm PST 
We've ordered almost every test in the book, even the highly expensive ones that we really don't have the money for. Nothing came back with results that would lead to a diagnoses. thinking Only things that made us more confused as to what it could be, like the fact that his blood tests were all over the place, most everything was way too low. The things that weren't too low were too high, I don't even know if he had one "Normal" level on the test. shrug

Odd thing is he's still acting like him self, even though these blood tests and loss of weigh suggest something serious is going on.

Here's the latest picture I have of him:

Edit: Picture link doesn't work, I'll upload it to his profile in just a second...

You can tell by his hips that he's defiantly skinny. Though this picture was taken on one of the weekly walks we go on outside with me, my dog, and him, which he still enjoys just the same with no change in personality or loss of energy. Though you can see how large of a cat he is compared to Bella who is a 18 pound Pug/Shih Tzu mix, 7 pound is defiantly very skinny for him.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sushi, May 21 11:52 am

Sushi

Purred: Sat May 11, '13 3:01am PST 
So with all Sushi's health problems, we have another one to add, he's not eating enough. My vet recommend something which I can't recall the name of (It was bio-something made by nutra-something or other) To increase his immune system. But I've yet to be able to find out where I can get it...

Anyway, I need to know of some ways to get him to eat more, and ways to fatten him up since he is very underweight. At our old house he was a fat cat, but now he's not eating much and has lost a lot of weight. Right now we are free feeding him Natures Variety dog food (Accidently bought the dog instead of the cat, though we're getting the right bag next time) and Innova canned food though he's just not eating much other than the Greenies treats he gets once in a while.

He's still eating a bit, not at the level were we need to rush to hand feed him or anything, but he's not eating enough. The vets can't figure out what's wrong nor can we. Though the best place I've been told to start is with getting him to eat, though we've tried everything and nothing's working. Meanwhile he is slowly losing more and more weight (I think he's about 7 lbs, and he's got a large build)

What should I try to get him to eat? Should I just hand feed, even though he's still eating, just not enough? Maybe I should hand feed some extra supplements that might help him? If so, what?

(Thought I'd note, we've already gotten opinions from three vets, all three said they don't know what's wrong.)
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Sushi, May 21 11:52 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.