Postings by Guest ID 1102563

GO!

Cats and a Clean Home > Eww, mold

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 11:41am PST 
Yes we got rid of it immediately after realizing it could be the litter that made them sick. We switched back to Feline Pine which we had been using for many years before World's Best Cat Litter. We don't know what to do because our two cats are having "flu like" symptoms as far as being tired, muscle weakness and trembling. Otherwise they are ok and our other cats never showed any symptoms. We don't want to harm them by not taking them to the vet again but the vet does not seem to have any answers for this other than to run the same tests again. It is very frustrating because they are so alert and look great except for the tiredness and weakness in walking(which seems to come and go). They do not have any signs to indicate any other kind of illness that I can find on the internet. They have no fever or abnormal behavior other than acting like a person would act when they have the flu. I am looking for suggestions from anyone if they have had experience with this type of illness. As a side note, we have a younger cat(6 months) who the vet told us had "herpes virus" because when we first got her she had "leaky" eyes. (Although she was never actually tested for any herpes virus). The leaky eyes went away after about a month. She was prescribed lysine paste and given eye drops. The vet never made mention to us that any of this could be related. I am not a doctor so I don't know, maybe it is? I have read that there is a herpes virus/calcivirus that causes a "limping syndrome" in cats. Any ideas from anyone please.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 12:32 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Eww, mold

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 12:44pm PST 
Two of my cats came down with a very high fever (around 106) on the same evening with lethargy and no appetite. I took them to the vet and they were given IV fluids in the hospital overnight. The next day the fevers were down and we took them home. They began eating again and seemed normal. That was almost 3 weeks ago. About 4 days ago, in the morning both cats were weak in the hind legs. They could walk but seemed to be limping/weak in the legs but eating ok. One of the cats had a slight trembling to him that evening but when I covered him with a blanket it seemed to stop. They have been improving the last few days but just seem to be very tired, not lethargic like they were with no fever. They are eating and eliminating normally, even playing when prompted. They just seem to be sleeping alot. My other cats have shown no symptoms at all. We are suspecting some sort of aflatoxin involvement from switching to corn cat litter since that was the only thing that changed in our household. All the bloodwork came back normal. Our vet is telling us that it is FUO but will not comment on the aflatoxin suggestion. We have already spent a large amount of money for overnight hospitalization for our two cats and we do not want to stress them out again by taking them to another vet at this time as they seem to be getting better. Any thoughts from anyone out there would be appreciated. Thank you
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 12:32 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.