Postings by Guest ID 1089983

GO!

Birman > CoCo

Sasha

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 3:13pm PST 
Adorable. I love the pointed breeded cats.

Looks like a siamese-mix.

A Birman will always have white paws that extend to just where the foot bends and on the feet midway on the foot. The hair is silky smooth with no undercoat.

A ragdoll can have "mitts" but when they do they are more like full socks on each leg. Ragdolls, at least the colorpoints will always have a white chin. The hair is like bunny fur.

My best guess would be a siamese mixed with anything and the siamese points were strong so they carried on! Still, a beautiful cat.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sasha, Feb 16 3:13 pm

Senior Cats > Hyperthyroidism for my Rambo
Sasha

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 11:17am PST 
My parents cat, Coco, died of hyperthyroidism. It was insidious and the medication didn't work fast enough to save her, she died soon after diagnosis at 14 years old. It is apparently very common in cats, so know the signs.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 26 11:02 am

Catster Railroad > Transport BURMESE SENIOR from SF to Kansas City or NYC

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 9:56am PST 
Yep, so

--> http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/specialneeds/pets.html - cats are $125 each way, so I'm sure a round trip flight is less than $625.

Also,
--> http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/animals/default. aspx
Continental is the airlines I was talking about *I think*... they also do "quick pack" for pets, meanings "same day, airport-to-airport delivery with features designed to ensure an animal's comfort and safety." Continental also has tracking, personal handling, 24 hour live animal desk, and the climate control I was talking about. If anxiety and BP is an issue for that cat, ask a vet for a small anti anxiety for the road. A little kitty ativan or something, or even something as simple as one of those calming collars with lavendar.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 16 9:56 am

Catster Railroad > Transport BURMESE SENIOR from SF to Kansas City or NYC

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 9:46am PST 
Shipping cats is easily doable, and not as cargo. I forget which airline, but one is better than others at shipping. It was approx. $200 from NC to AZ last time I looked, and guaranteed that the cat would be in climate controlled environment the whole time. If the flight was delayed, animals will be taxi'd around in an air conditioned van. Another big thing is to make sure there is water available, and should freeze half water so there is always some during the travel.

What about you flying and bringing the cat back yourself? You are able to have cats in-cabin for $125.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 16 9:56 am

Choosing the Right Cat > Got Kitten ONLY for 1 year old cat, not sure how I feel... HELP!

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 9:42am PST 
That wasn't harsh at all, and it sums up exactly why I got a second. To do best by Sasha. And I appreciate responses, whatever they are.

I can't say why I don't love this kitten yet. Sasha isn't as sweet, and I'm afraid it's a permanent thing. She always seems to be watching her back, which is how she was around my boyfriend's cat, and they knew each other for 6 months. She seemed more annoyed with him than not most of the time. She wouldn't come in the bed with us/me when he was around and immediately would stop purring when he came around. The same thing is happening with this kitten, she won't come wake me up, isn't waiting by the door, etc. I have a small condo, probably 900 sqft, and two seems to crowd the place now in addition to her behavior change.

She certainly doesn't mind the kitten, but seems to think he's more of a toy than a friend. She stalks him and tries to chew his tail. I bought one of those toys with the ball in plastic that they paw at to spin around, and that entertained her for hours! I'm now thinking maybe she just needed more interactive toys. I agree that two is better, but don't know about now. In future pet owning will I definitely just get two kittens or litter mates just need to figure out what to do now.

It's a complicated decision. I just really don't want two cats, but want what's best for Sasha.

I truly appreciate all responses though and it gives me something to think about.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 20 11:48 pm

Birman > Birman's as therapy cats

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 2:12pm PST 
I have a Birman, and she doesn't mind riding in the car at all. In fact, I let her roam my car, and she acts like a dog. I don't even bring a carrier. However, things to consider... females are divas, they want everything on their terms so if they want to be held, they'll jump in your lap, you can't place them there. Males might be different. But I agree and think ragdolls would make better therapy cats.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Zac, Mar 7 2:31 am

Choosing the Right Cat > Got Kitten ONLY for 1 year old cat, not sure how I feel... HELP!

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 2:01pm PST 
I have a beautiful Birman kitten, Sasha, who turns one next month. I'm a RN so I work 3 12-hour shifts a week, then usually am out for 6 hours max a day on my days off. Sasha is my BABY. I will do anything for that cat. She's waiting at the door when I come home, she licks my face after my alarm goes off in the morning, she's waiting outside the shower for me, etc.

Well, I recently started thinking she was lonely because she'll have bouts of craziness where she races around the house, or misbehaves like bites my ankles to play or I come home to destroyed toilet paper rolls. She's a bit of a diva. On the advice of several breeders, I got a very "easy going" male ragdoll kitten to keep her company.

It's been 5 days and I still have a pit in my stomach. The new kitten is nothing short of sweet, but I'm having major buyers remorse. I just don't want another cat. I love Sasha, I can't imagine loving this one as much. My now ex boyfriend got a kitten while we were together, and I never bonded with that kitten either.

I know this makes me out to be a bad person, not loving a baby animal immediately, but I can't help it. Is having one really so bad? Am I a neglectful cat owner if I don't have a friend for Sasha? Does she really even need one? Will Sasha ultimately fall into some sort of kitty depression if I continue to leave her home alone and see her half the day?

It's not like I would give the kitten to a pound or anything, I'm a responsible person, I would give him back to the breeder, but I don't know what to tell her if I do decide to give him back. I feel like the world's worst person.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 20 11:48 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.