Postings by Minxy (1987-2008)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 57: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cat Health > No teeth
Freckles- (1993-2011)

My beautiful old- lady!

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '12 10:53pm PST 
Bear sounds similar to Freckles. I adopted her at 15 and she'd been badly neglected for a couple of years and kept getting sinus infections/URI's. She didn't have any teeth but we eventually figured out that she had an infected canine root that kept feeding infection into her sinuses and once she had surgery to get that removed she was fine and lived another 2 years. I've had several older cats with no teeth and they've all done great and been able to eat kibble/wet and groom with no issues. Getting rid of infected teeth really helps as that puts a strain on their immune systems and general health. I'm glad to hear Bear is eating already.

Mouth cancers are usually pretty fast growing so since Bear has had thd odd patch for a while tgat'z probably a good sign it is something else. Hopefully it is just an ulcer and getting thd infected teeth removed will help it heal
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Bear, Mar 21 11:43 am

Cat Health > Eating after dental surgery
Gogo

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '12 10:38pm PST 
I think you are fine letting her eat if she wants to. If you have a syringe (without a needle) or something similar you can use to flush out around the area where she had thd tooth extracted with lukewarm water that would be good but not necessary if thd get didn't give you a syringe
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Mar 19 9:20 am

Cat Health > Hypothyroidism - Cardiology

Strangelove- (1988-2006)

Queen of the- cats!

Purred: Fri Mar 9, '12 6:09pm PST 
Strangelove became hypothyroid after radio iodine treatment and went up too 14+ pounds compared to about 11 pounds before she became hyperthyroid. She was noticeably less active and slept a lot and her thyroid test results were coming back as low/less than 0.4. My vets wanted to wait and monitor and keep testing every few months and said that often thd thyroid level would eventually increase on its own. They only started treatment when she developed diabetes as a side effect of the low thyroid and she took the thyroxine meds for the rest of her life.

Since you cat has a thyroid level of 0.4, is around her original weight, seems reasonably active and isn't showing any negative side effects like the diabetes waiting and monitoring seems like the best thing to do. You could get copies of the lab results and ask for a referral to a local internist vet to get their opinion. If you are generally happy with your vet the second opinion will help confirm what option makes most sense.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Strangelove (1988-2006), Mar 9 6:09 pm

Cat Health > UTI/Health Meter cat litter

Petra

Miss Feisty

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 11:16pm PST 
I don't think it works for UTI's. It was showing normal colour but at her recheck they did snot her culture and found she still had an infection. She's nos on a different antibiotic that should clear it up
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Feb 19 10:58 am

Cat Health > How does a scanner work, for a microchip?

Teya

House Panther

Purred: Thu Feb 9, '12 9:52pm PST 
Harlequin is right about how the chips work. The chip companies make their money from selling the chips not from the scans.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Teya, Feb 9 9:52 pm

Senior Cats > Bella has a build up of fluid and vet wants to remove a nipple
Teya

House Panther

Purred: Tue Feb 7, '12 10:08pm PST 
I agree, with her other medical issues and previous issues with the dental surgery I'd have thought that surgery should be avoided if possible. Maybe it'll make more sense once you talk to the vet but if not you should get a second opinion to make sure it's the best option.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Edison The Angel, Feb 8 9:56 am

Cat Health > UTI/Health Meter cat litter

Petra

Miss Feisty

Purred: Mon Feb 6, '12 6:12pm PST 
Petra has had two UTI's in the last 6 months but shows absolutely no symptoms. I just got some Health Meter cat litter which supposedly changes colour if you cat has a UTI or a few other health issues. Has anyone used this before as I'm curious if it actually works?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Feb 19 10:58 am

Senior Cats > Bathing senior cats??

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Queen of the- Rainbow Bridge

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '12 12:14am PST 
If she was OK with baths before she should be OK now but just make sure that the water temp is not too hot and there are no hard edges as she'll be more prone to injury now.

If she is not too bad or as a maintenance thing after the bath you could use a grooming mit and pet wipes suitable for cats. That would be less stressful and they are quite effective on elderly cats.

The last thing is that lack of grooming can be a sign that she isn't feeling well so you should mention it to your vet who's treating her CRF and see if she needs a check up or adjustment of her meds.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Baltster 1990 ~ 2011, Feb 6 3:49 am

Cat Health > What's the best way to keep a kitty's teeth clean?

Teya

House Panther

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '12 12:00am PST 
Check out Royal Canin Dental DD. When I adopetd Teya (aged 12)a few months ago she had pretty bad gums/teeth and my vet said she'd need a dental soon but she had some other health issues we needed to take care of 1st.

I started feeding her 1 can of wet food and about 1/4 cup of the Royal Canin Dental DD every day and my vet couldn't believe how much her gums/teeth had improved after only a couple of months. Her gums are now pink and the pockets/inflamation is gone and her teeth are much cleaner and whiter. The kibbles are much bigger than normal and have lots of little fibres that act like brushing/flossing and are really effective.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Napoleon * In Loving Memory *, Feb 11 7:44 pm

Cat Health > VERY abnormal breathing! HELP!
Sassy- (2001-2012)

Gorgeous- Armageddon

Purred: Sat Dec 31, '11 1:15am PST 
Can you get a video of her breathing so that the vet can see/hear what is going on? I've done that a couple of times when my cats were wheezing/yowling and it helped my vet make a diagnosis when my cats didn't do it during the exam.
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Feb 9 8:00 pm

(Page 1 of 57: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.