Postings by Blackie's Family

GO!

Kitten Corner > One kitten, six adults - can it work?

Baby

Cute house,- nobody home

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 5:23am PST 
We found a little kitten outside yesterday. He was mewing all day until we finally found him and brought him in that evening. He's TINY - 6-8 weeks tops. I have six adult cats. Everyone is neutered. Two of them are very large males and two others are rather cranky around the other cats. The other two are probably OK. The Kitten is in the bathroom right now. Everyone has hissed at the kitten smell on me. I'd love to keep the kitten, but I'm afraid he's too small to introduce to my cats. I'm afraid someone would hurt him and I can't be there all the time every day. I don't want him to live in the bathroom for months, either. Any suggestions, advice? Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by RW Angel Kenji Muto DB #101b, Jul 8 7:42 am

Behavior & Training > New cat is aggressive
Baby

Cute house,- nobody home

Purred: Fri Feb 26, '10 3:01pm PST 
I would like to report that Mr. P is settling in.
I don't think he will ever be BFFs with anyone here, but he's much calmer now. He prefers to keep to himself, doesn't want to hang out with the other cats much. He does love the people, though. He's an under-blanket snuggler!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Airel, Feb 26 3:48 pm

Baby

Cute house,- nobody home

Purred: Thu Feb 11, '10 9:00am PST 
The funny thing is that he can be a very sweet, affectionate guy.

Yeah, Mom made a mistake that first day. It was Monday morning, she wasn't quite awake and she picked him up to move him off her clothes...She woke up really quick! A couple of days later he was snuggling with her under the blankets, so no hard feelings.

I just wish he would quit bullying the guys.
At least nobody is peeing on anything yet...
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Airel, Feb 26 3:48 pm

Behavior & Training > What do i do?

Sophie

The Great- Imperial- Princess Sophie!

Purred: Thu Feb 11, '10 6:25am PST 
We get our claws trimmed.. .:-P

All our scratching posts are vertical ones. We just don't like scratching along the floor. Almost everybody prefers the sisal rope scratchies, too. Cardboard and phone books are ok, but I can get a really good pull on a sisal post.

My scratching post is right by "the" corner of the couch. When I start scratching on the couch, they just show it to me and tell me "get the scratchy post, Sophie!" It's SO much better than the couch anyways.

We're going to have to get a taller one, though - Blackie is too tall to use my little post. He prefers wood, too. I wonder if it's a feral cat thing?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by HappiCat, Feb 11 4:19 pm

Baby

Cute house,- nobody home

Purred: Thu Feb 11, '10 5:58am PST 
We have a new cat and the adjustment is not going well.

We took him in because his lady was going into a nursing home. He's about 12, and he'd been her only cat for several years. He's fixed, declawed, up to date on shots.

For the first week, he lived in the bedroom so that he could get used to the sounds and smells and routines of the house. Mom made a mistake on the first day - she tried to pick him up and he bit her (badly). We chalked that up to him being upset and scared and angry about the move. He seemed to settle down after a couple of days...

Now he's out of the bedroom. He's mostly OK with the girls, but he's quite aggressive with the other guy cats. Chester and Blackie are being VERY non-aggressive - I'm actually surprised how well they are handling the new guy in their midst. But Mr. P will pick a fight any chance he gets. I've seen him stalk Blackie. I've seen him back Chester into corners and then attack him. He's also nipped and swatted the Husband a couple of times after getting shooed off the counter or blocked from attacking the other cats. (The Husband doesn't even try to pick Mr. P up)

Mom and the Husband are willing to chalk this up to the huge adjustment. They don't think he's really a MEAN cat, but he's been the only guy in a very quiet household for years. Now there are five other cats to get along with, new people, new smells, new everything. Mom is hoping that he calms down in a few more days and that he settles in.

In the meantime, this hostile behavior is just not acceptable. Nerves are one thing - terrorizing your housemates is another. Attacking the people is really bad news.

Mom is "scruffing" him (gently) when he gets out of line. The Husband is getting a squirt gun. Mr. P has had a few "time-outs" back in the bedroom. So far the Feliway diffuser isn't helping much. What else can we do?
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Airel, Feb 26 3:48 pm

Cat Health > +FeLV +not eating/drinking +respiratory illness
Blackie

Out from under- the bed!

Purred: Sun Nov 8, '09 6:42am PST 
Kingsford died Friday morning.
Don't know what else to say. He was a real fighter.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rosita, Nov 8 7:28 pm

Blackie

Out from under- the bed!

Purred: Wed Nov 4, '09 11:24am PST 
He stayed over at the Vet's Saturday night. They gave him IV fluids then. He had to come home Sunday morning because the Care Credit money had run out. At least he was able to get one night's care.

That's it - Baytrol. It does seem to help. So doxycycline is better? They can certainly ask about that.

The hardest part is that he's feeling better enough to raise holy heck when it's time to give him water or try to give him food. With seven claws on each front foot, he can be a real buzz-saw. Then he's all worn out and feeling worse. The food-slurry sounds like a good idea. Do you have any suggestions for a way to administer food and water that might be easier on everyone?

Are there any "home remedies" that might make him more comfortable? Shady and Sophie came through with just a few sneezes. Baby has definitely got the cold, but she's still eating and drinking OK, just sleeping a lot (pretty healthy considering she's turning 19). Chester has the full-on cold, too but he's not horribly sick yet.

Not everyone is vaccinated against FeLV. We didn't know until Kingsford had been with us a while. His former Dad lied to Them about the vet care that Kingsford had (or had not) received. Since we've been living together, would it do any good to get vaccinated at this point? Isn't it really expensive?

(I hate to keep harping on money, but there just isn't any since DaddyJohn lost his job. It's just rough all over...)

DEFINITELY going to look into the food. Maybe a bigger syringe for the water (so he can more at one time). *sigh*
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Rosita, Nov 8 7:28 pm

Blackie

Out from under- the bed!

Purred: Wed Nov 4, '09 8:07am PST 
Kingsford is really sick.

There's been a cold going around the house. Just about everyone's had it. Kingsford got hit really hard. He went to the vet a week ago Sunday and they gave him some clavamox. Took it just like he was supposed to, but it didn't do anything. He quit eating and drinking... got so bad that he was dehydrated and in shock Saturday morning. They took him back to the vet for an overnight, but that's all they could afford. The vet gave him a new med (it's a pill, starts with a B) and it seems to be helping, but he still won't eat or drink. They have been giving him water with an eyedropper and rubbing food into his mouth...

The vet said that Kingsford will die if he doesn't start eating or drinking. I guess the FeLV has really made this little cold into a big deal. They don't really have the money for all the stuff the vet says he needs. What can They do to help him get better? He's really, really sick...
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Rosita, Nov 8 7:28 pm

Catster Railroad > MOTHER\'s DAY weekend - IN - WV - PA - NJ

Blackie

Out from under- the bed!

Purred: Fri May 2, '08 3:25pm PST 
There is a transport run being set up for Mother's day weekend from Indiana to New Jersey. Can anyone help? If you can, please contact Adoptapet @ optonline.net (remove space before and after @).

Here are the legs:

Saturday, May 10, 2008
Leg 1: Gary, IN to Indianapolis, IN
Filled

Leg 2: Indianapolis, IN to Richmond, IN
73 miles / 1 hour 15 minutes - 9:00 AM – 10:15 AM
Filled (?)

Leg 3: Richmond, IN to Columbus, OH
104 miles / 1 hour 45 minutes – 10:25 AM – 12:10 PM: NEEDED

Leg 4: Columbus, OH to Zanesville, OH
55 miles / 55 minutes – 12:25 PM – 1:20 PM: NEEDED

Leg 5: Zanesville, OH to Wheeling , WV
73 miles / 1 hour 10 minutes – 1:30 PM – 2:40 PM: NEEDED

Leg 6: Wheeling, WV to New Stanton, PA
71 miles / 1 hour 15 minutes – 2hi50 PM – 4:05 PM: NEEDED

Leg 7: New Stanton, PA to Somerset, PA
37 miles / 40 minutes – 4:15 PM – 4hi55 PM: NEEDED

Leg 8: Somerset, PA to Breezewood, PA
55 miles / 55 minutes – 5:05 PM – 6:00 PM: NEEDED

Leg 9: Breezewood, PA to Lewisberry, PA
90 miles / 1 hour 30 minutes – 6:10 PM – 7:40 PM: NEEDED

OVERNIGHT in Harrisburg , PA area: NEEDED

Sunday May 11, 2008
Leg 10: Harrisburg/Lewisberry, PA to Fogelsville, PA
87 miles / 1 hour 35 minutes – 7:00 AM to 8:35 AM: NEEDED

Leg 11: Fogelsville, PA to Woodbridge, NJ
86 miles / 1 hour 30 minutes –8:45 AM to 10:15 AM: NEEDED

Leg 12: Woodbridge, NJ to Darien, CT
70 miles / 1 hour 30 minutes –10:40 AM to 12:10 PM: NEEDED

Leg 12A: Woodbridge, NJ to Long Beach, NY
48 miles / 1 hour 30 minutes –10:30 AM to 12:00 PM: NEEDED
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Fuzzy (IN MEMORIUM), May 6 2:18 am

Grooming > Older cat getting clumpy
Baby

Cute house,- nobody home

Purred: Fri May 2, '08 3:12pm PST 
Hi...
I'm getting old, and MB has noticed that I can't clean myself as well as I used to. I've got short hair, but I shed quiet a bit. Now I'm getting little clumps in my fur.

Mb's tried to brush me over the years, but I just hate it! It was bad enough when I was young, but I've lost a lot of weight over the years, and all that loose skin just hangs. It gets in the way when I get brushed and I'm really sensitive. I feel bad that she can't brush me, but I can't stand it either.

What can we do? I can let her pick the mats apart with her fingers, but that's really tedious and it's not really helping. She's thinking about scissors, but that doesn't keep them from coming back. I wish I could keep myself clean, but I just can't reach like I used to...frown
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Morgan, May 2 8:37 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.