Postings by Minuette's Family

GO!

Tonkinese > Siamese, Tonkinese or Burmese

Minuette

Let Your Frisky- Flag Fly

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '12 4:13pm PST 
All three breeds are known to be affectionate and people oriented. If you really want a ca that's devoted to you and no-one else (Burmese and Tonks generally are friendly to anybody) I would choose Siamese, as they tend to bond more with one person and be a little aloof to any others.
I personally love Tonks: the reason I got them is that I really wanted a cat who would be affectionate and like to be held. That turned out to be an excellent decision for me, as they love to be cuddled and held, and are highly affectionate. What I like about Tonks is that they have a little of Burmese and Siamese: they have the love of people that Burmese have, plus the do have a little favoritism like Siamese (I have two, and one decided I was her human, and they other one chose my mother.)
At any rate, all three would probably meet your cuddling needs, but it's up to you which sounds like the best.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Minuette, Jul 15 4:13 pm

Tonkinese > help identifing a tonk
Minuette

Purred: Mon May 28, '12 9:30pm PST 
Actually, in looking at your photos I'd say you look very much like the Snowshoe breed. The Snowshoe breed is a cross between American Shorthair and Siamese that can look very much like a Siamese, but has trademark white paws. Look at some of the photos of Snowshoes under Cat Breeds on this site to see if this fits.

Minnie
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Minuette, May 28 9:30 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Trying to understand feline breeders and purebred cats.

Bliss (My- Cherished- Angel)

Forever in Bliss

Purred: Fri Jan 8, '10 9:43pm PST 
I thought I'd answer, as before her current kitties my mom was pretty much a rescue-only person, and didn't think much of purebreds. Then after my death and a move to a new house, she decided that she wanted to have a different experience than her previous cats (except me.) She loved me so much, and rescued me early so that I had a good emotional start, and wanted to make sure that her next cat was as much like me as possible. But she also wanted to have kitties without as much emotional baggage as many of the kitties she had rescued. Plus her health was in bad shape, so she really needed a kitty that was really loving and sweet. Also, she was moving to be near her niece who is autistic, and the kitty had to be really child friendly.
Given her specific needs, my mom decided to try purebred for a change, and finally decided the ideal match for her was a Tonkinese, but she ended up with two instead! They were both older, and as such less likely to be purchased, but mom fell in love with them and was bowled over by the difference between these kitties and the ones she's rescued. They love to be held, follow you everywhere, and are the most affectionate and intelligent kitties she's ever known. There is a difference, but keep in mind that with some breeds there are rescue organizations that shelter rescued kitties of that breed, and if she ever needed more kitties in the future she might go that route.
She's very much a convert, but also is incredibly admiring of all those who adopt rescued kitties.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Rainey, Apr 14 9:49 pm

Tonkinese > Breeders

Minuette

Purred: Mon Jan 4, '10 6:33pm PST 
I wanted to go to a local breeder, so I looked for some on the Cat Fanciers of America web site. The two local ones I found I visited in person ahead of time, both so I could see the health and personality of the kitties and let the breeder get to know me to show that I'd make a good Tonk parent. Both of the ones I visited--Tonkdejur and Angelsheart Tonkinese--were wonderful, and I am absolutely smitten by the Tonks I bought.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ukko, Apr 25 11:19 am

Tonkinese > Questions About Tonks

Minuette

Purred: Mon Jan 4, '10 6:19pm PST 
Food-wise, I don't think there's such a thing as "normal" when it comes to Tonks. Both of my Tonks refuse to eat any human food, and won't even eat any of the kitty treats you can buy. Apparently their mother was that way too, so it could be genetic, although it could also be environmental, as the only food they seem to want is what they were raised on. This is one good reason to keep in touch with your breeder, as they often have more insight into your Tonk's habits.
As for travel, have you tried getting a slightly larger crate? That's the only thing I can think of, as I wouldn't let them loose on the backseat unless someone was also back there supervising. Fortunately my Tonks went to cat shows a lot growing up, so they are used to a lot of travel. So much so that they actually go into their crate at home and ask to be taken out.
At any rate, I hope you now can see just how individualistic Tonks are. I know of no other cats I've had that have such deep and passionately insistent personalities
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Minuette, Jan 4 6:19 pm

Other Meows & Purrs > say something nice about the cat before you!
Penelope

Heaven Has Fur,- When I Hear You- Purr

Purred: Sat Jun 28, '08 2:46pm PST 
Elvin, you have such beautiful long fur, and I'm so glad you were rescued in the nick of time!cheer
[notify]

» There has since been 43 posts. Last posting by Chloe, Aug 27 1:23 pm

Tonkinese > Tonk Or Siamese?

Penelope

Purred: Fri May 23, '08 8:43pm PST 
I did a lot of reading before I decided what breed to get, so maybe some of it will be useful.

A lot of the differences between Tonks and Siamese become clearer when you compare Siamese and Burmese breeds (Tonks are a cross between those two.) Siamese are elongated and elegant with longer limbs and the angular apple-head, whereas Tonks are more compact and petite, with a smaller head and smaller ears which are closer to the Burmese face.

Personality-wise Tonks are less aloof than Siamese with a friendly outgoing disposition which extends to strangers, whereas Siamese tend to be friendly mainly to those close to them. This social inclination is closer to the Burmese disposition in many ways. In general Siamese are more chatty as well, although those of us with Tonks know that certain individual Tonks can be quite chatty.

Both Siamese and Tonks are highly intelligent, inquisitive and active, and generally try to engage your attention continually.

Tonkinese have a more limited spectrum of colors associated with the breed than Siamese: the four colors are Blue, Platinum, Champagne and Natural. All these come in three patterns: Point, Mink and Solid, creating twelve different possible color and pattern combinations. My two Tonks are Champagne Points, and unfortunately Catster doesn't have this combination listed in their menu.

Now most of what I've told you has to do with the breed standard for Siamese and Tonks, but again, if you have a Tonk as a pet it's likely to be somewhere between Siamese and Burmese: my Penelope is more on the Siamese end with a slighty longer, trim frame closer in size to that of a standard cat, and is chatty and a little shy. Minuette is more on the Burmese end, with a very compact frame that is very similar to my sister's Burmese, and is very outgoing and bold, but fairly quiet vocally (unless she wants to make a pointed remark, which can be heard from several rooms away.)

Those are the main differences to the best of my ability, but as it's been a while since I did the research there may be some things off or missing, and I welcome anyone to chime in with their information. Talking with breeders is really helpful for getting a better sense of the breeds, as the know well both the standard as well as the multiplicity of other variations that can show up in each new litter.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov, Jun 26 1:59 am

Tonkinese > What games does you Tonk like to play most?

Minuette

Purred: Fri May 23, '08 4:24pm PST 
I like Hallway Half-Pipe, Bed Shark, Hide and Seek (I hide my toys, and make mom look like crazy for them--we have a high toy turnover rate), Squirrel Tossing and Freestyle Rompus: Pairs Division (extra points given for fluffed up tail flying like a flag.)kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Minuette, May 23 4:24 pm

Food & Nutrition > Canned Food for *Very* Sensitive Stomach

Penelope

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '08 6:00pm PST 
Thanks Melodie and Merlin!
Good to know that Penelope is not alone (especially as sister Minuette has no such trouble.)
Merlin--I'll try your suggestions right away. If I have any trouble with Natural Balance I'll get my vet's approval for the IVD. Right now I'm willing to try anything.
If anybody else has any other insights, please feel free to chime in, and again, thanks for the responses!kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mush Mush, Jan 27 7:39 am

Food & Nutrition > Canned Food for *Very* Sensitive Stomach
Penelope

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '08 4:23pm PST 
Since before I got her Penny has had a very sensitive digestive tract: if she has too much stress she gets the runs, if she switiches food she gets the runs, and now I've found out that a necessary course of antibiotics does it too (despite a nutribiotic supplement which she takes continuously or she gets the runs.) red face Poor miserable girl also reacts this way to any food with extra additives: Fancy Feast is her favorite but the worst offender. The Vet has her on Science Diet A/D canned and I/D dry, but she truly dislikes the A/D and I keep hoping that there might be some canned food out there that works with her stomach that she likes. I had her on Iams canned successfully for a while, but after the antibiotic it's no longer working (plus both our kitties don't like the new flavors.) If anybody knows a yummy canned food (not Science Diet--not liked) that is soothing to the tummy, please help as I am desperate. cry Once it starts it can continue for weeks if not corrected.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Mush Mush, Jan 27 7:39 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.