Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > vomiting and diets
Kaffe Hart

I need your love- to see me- through

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 3:25am PST 
I agree. Try raw. Here's a quick and easy recipe to try in transition from commercial cat food to raw:

Quick Poultry Feast

1 lb Raw chicken or turkey thigh flesh only with the skin
(ground or chunked)

1/2 tsp Powdered or finely ground eggshell (or 850mg calcium supplement) NOT optional

1 Jar (71g) Baby Food Stage 1 or 2 Vegetables WITHOUT onion (carrots, peas or butternut squash)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Divide into meal portions, using freezer bags or ziplock bags or jars. Freeze what will not be eaten immediately.

As simple as it is, the ingredients in this recipe actually provides a carnivore all the key nutrients it needs. The poultry thighs provide the complete amino acids spectrum, including taurine as well as vitmains including A, D and K and many of the B's. The poultry skin provides the essential fatty acids. The egg shells provide the calcium and trace minerals. Theoretically, you can do without the vegetable baby food - but in my experience, it adds palatability to the food as well as providing needed fiber, starch and phytonutrients.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 12 8:01 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Need Veggi Recipes!
Kaffe Hart

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 3:19am PST 
I also like fish a LOT. But Meowmie knows that too much will be bad for me in the long run. So... when Meowmie gives me my raw food, she sprinkles a little fishy canned on top of the food and I eats all of it up! My "bribe" fishy foods are FF no glutens stuff like Salmon Feast or Solid Gold Tuna. Just a little bit of the fish (1/2 tsp - 1 tsp)on top of my raw food. Sometimes Meowmie uses a little crumbled up cooked chicken liver sprinkled on top as bribe. Sometimes I am very good and don't need any bribe.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 6 8:12 pm

Raw Food Diet > What is in your food dish today?

Kaffe Hart

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 3:10am PST 
Today, we had ground chicken drumsticks with hearts, gizzards and liver. I think there was wheat grass and alfalfa there too. It was yummy and we eated all in our dishes.
[notify]

» There has since been 44 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 4:43 pm

Food & Nutrition > good nutritional supplements???

Kaffe Hart

Purred: Wed Oct 24, '07 1:02pm PST 
Meowmie gives me and Cato 100 - 250 mg Vit C per day for 3 days at the beggining of each change in the season or on those days that they we seem a little "off." I always "perk up" immediately when I get vit C. Cats do produce their own vit C in the gut but sometimes, especially when they are stressed or sick, they do not produce enough to fight off infections... so, it is always a good idea IMHO to give them some Vit C fortification when they sem to need it. Always worked with us kitties. And oh - Vit C is water soluble, so any that is not used is readily excreted in urine or feces - virtually guarantees no overdose problems!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 25 4:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > Is Science Diet good?

Kaffe Hart

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '07 3:27pm PST 
Meowmie does not trust that brand... heard too many horror stories...
[notify]

» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 5:43 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > What supplements?
Cato Hart

The meek shall- inherit the- universe

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '07 5:03pm PST 
Meow Pippin!

We eat home prepared raw food here. Meomie adds the following to every batch of our raw food mix (2 kg ground chicken thighs with bones; 400 gms chicken hearts; 200 grms chicken liver):

1. 4000mg Fish Oil (or salmon Oil) for the vital Omega 3 and Omega 6 nutrients essential for healthy skin and coats
2. 800 IU Vit. E - best with fish or salmon oil; a natural preservative and powerful anti-oxidant to boost the immune system
3. 200 mg Vitamin B-Complex (cats have a high demand for water the B group vitamins)
4. 200 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid (for liver support)
5. 1000 mg Taurine (we cats cannot make our own taurine. red meats especially hearts are rich in taurine, but taurine can degrade from freezing or be lost though cooking - so meowmie always sprinkles a dash of powdered taurine on our daily ration of raw food).
6. 1/4 tsp Dulse (for trace minerals and iodine)
7. 1/4 tsp Kelp (for trace minerals and iodine)
8. sometimes 1000 mg vit C (every other batch) just for our immune system strength

Oh... Kaffe gets 10 mg of Co-Q10 twice a week for his gum issues (rubbed directly on his gums). We also get an additional 1000mg fish oil twice a week.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 27 12:43 pm

Raw Food Diet > How do you start raw food?

Cato Hart

The meek shall- inherit the- universe

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '07 4:47pm PST 
Our meowmie switched us to raw food shortly after the the March 30 petfood recall. Researched a lot first of course, but was determined to take control of what we eat rather than relying on petfood companies to keep us healthy. At first, she would just add a half teaspoon of raw ground chicken in our regular food. My older brother Kaffe would eat all of it, but I was the kibble addict and needed to first be transitioned into eating wet cat food. This took two weeks. Then one day, meowmie brought home a pack of Nature's Variety Raw Medallions (Rabbit). She thawed a couple of medallions and formed tiny little balls with them - to fool me into thinking they were kibble. Well, of course I knew they were not, but to my meowmie's shock, I ate all the "babbit" on my flat plate. Well... perhaps I did not feel too threatened when presented tiny little balls of raw food instead of a mound siting at the center of my flat plate. And I don't like eating from a bowl. Meowmie offered some "babbit" to Kaffe pretending they were treats. He fell for it (and he thinks he is so smart!). Once Kaffe and I realized that the raw food was FOOD, we were both OK with it. Anyway, by May 2, Kaffe and I were both eating un-adulterated home-prepared raw food - yummy! Meowmie follows the recipe on CatNutrition.org. We supervise her when she is making a batch to make sure that she makes no mistakes (we get to lick the mixing bowls - yummy!).

Salmonella? Na... not a problem with us cats. All the same, I noticed that mewomie sears the sides of the chicken pieces very quickly on a hot plate just to kill any germs. And freezing also kills most bacteria. She is also very careful handling any meat in the kitchen. Lines all kitchen counters with plastic garbage bags when she is making a batch of cat food and "disinfects" all kitchen implements she uses by sprying them first with vinegar then with hydrogen peroxide. Frankly, I don't know why she bothers disinfecting. Afterall, we cats lick our butts and all, you know what I mean?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 4:47 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Eggs?

Kaffe Hart

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '07 3:34pm PST 
I'm not a real fan of raw eggs, but meowmie adds a couple of raw egg yokls to our raw food mix when she makes a batch... I know becuase I can SMELL it. I prefer a mix without the raw eggs though, but I'll eat what's in my dish becuase it makes my meowmie so happy when I do so. My apprentice Cato now... he is the kibble addict. I think he just eats his raw food just so meowmie will reward him later with a kibble treat. The cheaT
[notify]

» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Feb 7 9:38 am

Raw Food Diet > Hello raw kitties!

Kaffe Hart

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '07 3:31pm PST 
purrrrfest! Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 3:31 pm

Food & Nutrition > Rescue Remedy Flower Essence
Kaffe Hart

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '07 3:25pm PST 
I calm down a bit when meowmie gives me some Rescue Remedy... just a tad. But my little apprentice Cato becomes almost catatonic... trully comical to watch... he lays down on the floor like he is in ecstasy with a dreammy look in his eyes... silly twit, I always thought. Meowmie gives Rescue Remedy to us when she knows there is an event about to take place that may cuase us to stress out. She pours 2 or 3 teaspoons of spring water in a cup. Then she puts in 3 - 4 drops of rescue remedy in it. Then she siphons the mixture into an oral syringe and administers it to us directly into our mouths... hayy-yay-yay... but we're used to her squirting water into our mouths so we don't mind. She gives me 1 teaspoon of the mixture and 1 teaspoon to Cato. Then Cato goes all dreammy. Me? I am more dignified... but I do admit it kinda makes me feel all warm and snoozy. I like it. I have seen Meowmie take a couple of drops herself when she feels stressed out.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 22 9:28 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.