Postings by Star's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Can 7 mos. old cats be domesticated?
Star

Purred: Tue Dec 12, '06 1:20pm PST 
Hi....a 7 month old cat can definitely be domesticated. I've domesticated many that are older than that. In my experience, these kitties are domestic, and once they know they are safe where they are, they relax and enjoy domestic life.
I rescued an 18 month old earlier this year who had been born on the street & living there all her life and she's now the smoochiest cat in the house!! (though admittedly putting her in a cage to go to the vet is still a bit scary!).
I have a fair bit of info re the cats I've domesticated on my website at http://www.kittiesinthehood.com
All my cats are either off the street, or born to mothers rescued from the street and they are all gorgeous!
Good luck with your new friend and let me know if i can be of any help.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Calla, Jan 9 12:23 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Please Help these Street Cats in Sydney Australia
Star

Purred: Mon Dec 11, '06 9:12pm PST 
Hi,
My mom still really needs help with these kitties, now more than ever. She's trapped, desexed, chipped & vaccinated every kitty from the street (& 2 more than she counted on) but this week she had to cancel moving us all to a bigger house in Canada cause she still has too many of our friends from the street without forever homes, even though she's been trying for over 3 months now. She's already had 3 months off work. Please help her help us move & get our kittiesinthehood friends to loving forever homes! The site again is http://www.kittiesinthehood.com
Please help our mom if you can, she wants to help us all, but has too many of our friends at the moment!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Thyda, Dec 12 8:02 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Urgent Advice Needed re Nursing Feral who Was Desexed Today and Needs to be Released

Star

Purred: Wed Nov 29, '06 3:31am PST 
I"m the only one answering here! I should have added that she doesn't seem at all anxious to get out of here, so does that make it unlikely she has kittens out there that need her.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Nanette, Dec 1 1:21 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Urgent Advice Needed re Nursing Feral who Was Desexed Today and Needs to be Released

Star

Purred: Wed Nov 29, '06 12:15am PST 
UPDATE: My human friend just collected kitty from vet...he said something different this time, or so it seems ...said they knew she was concerned and made decision to go ahead on basis she wasn't expelling milk anymore. My friend was sure he told her she was nursing when she spoke to him earlier????? He thinks kittens likely old enough to scavenge for themselves if they are still alive, and doesn't think I should release the kitty. He was adamant she wasn't expelling milk despite being squeezed. Thoughts??
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Nanette, Dec 1 1:21 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > 2 Cats in a Small-ish Apartment?

Star

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 11:54pm PST 
Not cramped, cosy! 2 is definitely fine in a small place, I can say based on plenty of experience. And, assuming you will be rescuing a kitty? a cosy home sure beats a kennel or euthanasia. But even leaving that aside, 2 kitties in small place is absolutely fine. I'm sure they'll just be happy to be so loved and can't imagine they'd ever be thinking "how dare she rescue me & shove me in this cramped space"!
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Lil' Charlie, Jan 4 9:11 am

Star

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 9:10pm PST 
I should have added that I trapped her about 21 hours ago and she was desexed about 5 hours ago now.
Thanks
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Nanette, Dec 1 1:21 pm

Star

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 9:04pm PST 
Disaster here. I've been rescuing all the kitties on my street and was down to the last 2...took them to vet this morning, told vet I was worried one might be nursing and if so, to not desex it, ring me and I would collect it immediately and release it til I could find the kittens. To make a long story short, they didn't do that and 2 hours ago I discovered she is nursing and they went ahead and desexed her (I don't know how they misunderstood, but I can't worry about that much now). I've been looking for kittens around here for 2 months, and can't find any.....its a vast area, much of it inaccessible (by railway tracks) and there is lots of bush type terrain that they could be in. I even made the city electricity open a generator station for me today to look into. So I have no chance of finding them... vet thinks they are probably at least 4 weeks old based on her ovary size. I am so upset. When can I release her safely? She has stitches on the side and according to vet can still nurse. Do I have any chance of trapping her again after I find the kittens (or after they are old enough to be on their own if I never find them?).
BTW, its even more upsetting because she was the last cat in a colony of 12 and will; now have to be out there on her own. Thanks so much.
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Nanette, Dec 1 1:21 pm

Cats & Travel > From Canada to Australia...can it be done?

Star

Purred: Mon Nov 13, '06 5:07pm PST 
Sorry, again accidentally double posted...don't know how my paws are doing that~!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Star, Nov 13 5:07 pm

Cats & Travel > From Canada to Australia...can it be done?

Star

Purred: Mon Nov 13, '06 5:07pm PST 
Hi...me & my kitty family are doing the same trip but the other way around. I know you said you would buy kitty a seat, but sadly australia only allows them to travel into the country in cargo. No airline can take a cat to australia in the passenger compartment due to our quarantine laws. They won't even let them fly internally in Australia in the cabin. Hopefully one day this will change, but for now its the rules.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Star, Nov 13 5:07 pm

Cats & Travel > So Scared about Moving from Australia to Canada - Long - Please help!
Star

Purred: Mon Nov 13, '06 4:01pm PST 
Hi everyone,
Our human friend is moving alot of us from Australia to Canada & is starting to freak out with worry about it and I"m hoping we can get her some advice from you fellow travelling cats!
Laws here require us to travel in Cargo, and the company mom spoke to (JetPets) will want to pick us up the day before the flight for vet inspection & overnight boarding (mom doesn't like the idea of us stressing out in boarding a night before).
Then mom seems to have 2 options, and she's not sure which one to do...
1. Fly them with Air Canada to Vancouver, in which case the plane touches down in Honolulu for 1 1/2 hours and the cats are kept on the plane during that time...mom's sooo worried about the 2 take off and landings and the fact we'll be under there for at least 90 minutes on the tarmac.
2. Take a single flight to San Fran, rent a van or winnebago or something and drive up to Vancouver. The problem with this is that if we are imported from the USA, we may need to get rabies vaccinations done (Canada has different import rules depending on whether cats are being imported from rabies free country or not). Mom is a bit naive about rabies (its spiders & snakes we have to worry about here) but has been told that it is law that all cats in Canada be vaccinated against rabies...is this right and are ALL cats, including indoor cats always vaccinated? We are all indoor kitties, but mom read that rabid bats can fly into the house and bite us. My sister Samantha is a sensitive kitty and has had bad reactions to vaccinations before and mom is scared of her getting vaccinated, but if it has to be done, it has to be done (she'd love to hear what you have to say on this). I also have 2 brothers who are healthy, but FIV+ and mom is worried about them being vaccinated. If they will need to be vaccinated anyhow, it may be better if she gets it done now & drives up through the USA to save us the stress of the stopover in Hawaii. The car drive up will be stressful for mom (she's worried she'll drive on the wrong side of the road!), but not bad for us....we're all pretty cool in the car!
Oh, and there will be alot of us, which also worries mom. Maybe as many as 15 of us!!!! Mom's getting in touch with customs to get as much info as she can (but so far keeps getting crazy phone messages telling her to ring back b/w 9-5, when it's actually 11am there...weird), but is wondering if anyone has had any experience with going into canada with multiple pets (apparently they may require her to prove we are domestic pets, as opposed to cats for profit), but she wonders if there may be other issues.
So far she has spoken to a group called JetPet, but wonders if there are other pet transport groups people would recommend?
She is so worried and has to book us in within the next 14 days, so please help her with advice if you can.
Thanks so much!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Hopper, Nov 15 3:45 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.