Postings by Darvalo's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I'll always love you Darv
Darvalo

Unkie Darv

Purred: Mon Sep 18, '06 2:49pm PST 
I've moved to a remote community and a week ago my boy suddenly couldn't move his back legs. I put him on the first flight out the next morning, and the hospital in Winnipeg picked him up. He had a thrombosis which had shifted and blocked an artery going into his hindquarters and there was nothing to be done.

I flew out on the next flight to be with him and hold his paw when they put him down, but he died on his own before I got there. I think that's what makes me the most upset about the whole thing. I put him on that plane on his own and went to work, thinking I would see him that afternoon, even if the decision was to put him down.

Now little Hekuba and I are on our own and we miss him so much.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dexter - beloved angel, Sep 22 3:54 pm

Behavior & Training > I'm a Biter
Hekuba

Queen of Troy

Purred: Sun Aug 27, '06 3:16pm PST 
I'm a biter too, and my Mum's hands are a mess. I don't like putting on my harness when I have to go somewhere, even if it is just out to the back garden to play. I'm very active and a bit aggressive so my Mum tries to use toys that don't get her hands in the way. Bouncy things on a string are good for that. Aside from this, she uses her hands more when I am calm so she can pet me and stuff. She tells me that I will calm down when I am older, but I need to learn what 'No Bites' means.

My Mum would be glad for any other advice people have for this problem. She doesn't want it to become a habit.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sissy, Sep 3 11:59 pm

Cats & Travel > Small kittens on "long" car rides

Hekuba

Queen of Troy

Purred: Sun Aug 27, '06 3:12pm PST 
I'm only 4 months old and I have travelled over 13 hours on a plane and just this past week three days in a car. I have always been a travelling kitty so it doesn't bother me much. Just make sure you are as consistant as you can be about the litter. Even if you can go outside, I would recommend having one of those flatter sealable tubs for the litter and making sure to use it. That way the habbit of using the box is ingrained. I quite like travelling, though I tend to sleep through most of it because after a while it's boring. Make sure to bring some toys along with you!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Hekuba, Aug 27 3:12 pm

Cats & Travel > International Customs

Hekuba

Queen of Troy

Purred: Fri Aug 4, '06 3:31pm PST 
Thanks Boss. I'm doing well here at Gramma's house. I'll be moving one more time in a few weeks and then I'll be staying put for a good while. Mum says I'm a very good traveller, but she's sick of hauling me around. I am now ruler of the house... okay, Unkie Darv is, but I am more dominant than any of the others here. Everything is going well and I'm having so much fun exploring! It's my first time with a whole house to explore.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by BRUCE (THE BOSS), Aug 13 7:21 am

Cats & Travel > International Customs

Hekuba

Queen of Troy

Purred: Sat Jul 29, '06 12:11pm PST 
Just wanted to let everyone know that I survived my big international travelling adventure just fine. My Auntie Evrim helped Mum get all my papers and we had no trouble leaving Turkey. I slept nearly the entire flight from Istanbul to New York and dosed from New York to Toronto.

The Customs Inspector had a quick look at my vaccination documents, filled out a form and played with me while Mum paid the examination fee. We were in and out of customs in about 10 minutes.

When we got to another of my new Auntie's house I had two other cats to play with and I bounced around the house for about 36 hours straight. I was just so happy to be out of my carrier!

Thanks to everyone who gave my Mum advice. She's so glad that I was able to come home with her with almost no troubles. Everyone along the way was super helpful and I charmed the socks off everyone!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BRUCE (THE BOSS), Aug 13 7:21 am

Behavior & Training > Excessive nursing on human mama
Hekuba

Queen of Troy

Purred: Sun Jul 2, '06 12:22pm PST 
I was rescued by my human mum at 3 weeks and I love to suckle the collars of her shirts... especially her pjs. Mum and I have come to a comfortable arrangement where I can do this and not totally suffocate her. Well most of the time. It's a great 'get out of jail free' card after I've been running around like a monster!

If your mum is really bothered by it, try an old tshirt that's been worn recently in the cat bed or carrier or where ever your alternative sleeping arrangement might be. When I'm being a pest in bed, mum puts me in the carrier. At the moment we have a very small flat so I'm still close in the room with her and usually stop complaining after a minute or two.

Whenever my Mum leaves shirts around, even for a moment, I claim them as mine. I love that they smell like her. I would say this is probably your best bet for trying to transfer the nursing. If it's just a sleep issue, perhaps you can find a good cuddle time before bed and then sleep in another room. Then you can still share your love for your people Mum.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Hekuba, Jul 2 12:22 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Best age to adopt question.

Hekuba

Queen of Troy

Purred: Sat Jun 17, '06 2:32am PST 
It's very sad about your rescue kittens. I am a rescued street kitten and came to live with my Mum at only 3 weeks. She spent her lunch hours coming home to feed me for the first couple weeks I was here. It was a lot of work, though I did figure out the litter box thing quickly and started eating soft food within a couple weeks. I know I am far too cute for words, but I am a handful and a lot of work. Mum just keeps reminding me I'll mellow with age.

I agree with the people who have suggested adopting an older cat. You may be able to find one that is a good personality match for your existing family. It's always sad to see older animals languishing in shelters while the kittens just 'fly out the door.'

If you are dead set on a kitten, 8 weeks is a good age. Most kittens will accept a weaning at about 6, but the older the better. Because I was so young, I am very clingy and am not the greatest at being on my own. Make very certain the person you are getting your kitten from isn't fibbing about the age of the kitten just to get rid of it.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shadow, Jun 17 2:26 pm

Cats & Travel > Moving an Older Cat

Darvalo

Unkie Darv

Purred: Tue Jun 13, '06 10:37am PST 
I'll be moving at the end of the summer too, not just to a new home, but with a new kitten! I have always lived in a house with lots of other animals and plenty of barn cats hanging around outside, so just one kitten is sure to be much quieter.

Give this new dog a fair shot and make sure you have a slow introduction phase where your mum gives you a safe place to be just yours while you get used to each other.

Don't worry about being too old. You may not be able to teach an old dog new tricks, but cats are smarter than that.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Merlin (1996 - 2007), Aug 18 9:06 am

Behavior & Training > I\'m a baby with a potty problem.........

Hekuba

Queen of Troy

Purred: Sun Jun 4, '06 11:40am PST 
Your Mum might want to use a different bedspread if it's the same one you've gone on. Sometimes the scent can linger, even after it's been washed.

I peed on my mum a couple times in the first two weeks I lived with her, and mum made sure to wash everything very well afterwards. Perhaps while you are still learning you shouldn't sleep with mum. My mum made me sleep in the cat carrier until she knew that I was using the litter box every time.

Also, and I don't think this is happening so don't panic, but my Mum once had a kitten who had epilepsy and she would drool excessively when having a seizure. Mum didn't realize that it wasn't her making a mess on the bed on purpose until she saw the kitty have a seizure herself. Poor dear. But like I said, this is very very rare and you shouldn't panic. I'm only mentioning it on the very outside chance. It really scared my mum and she wouldn't want anyone else to worry. If you did have something like this, someone would have noticed by now.

Good luck with the litter box!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lilibet Squeekietoy Humphrey, Jun 6 7:30 pm

Behavior & Training > I'm not adjusting...
Darvalo

Unkie Darv

Purred: Sat Jun 3, '06 11:55pm PST 
You may not like to hear this, but your mum could start to give you regular baths to help your new dad not be so allergic to you. What makes most people allergic is the stuff in your spit that you put on your fur when you groom. I don't know how you feel about baths, but my friends Karma and Artemis get baths regularly to help their daddy out. They started getting baths right from when they were kittens though, so it was easier to get used to.

Also, mum can see what sorts of cuddly beds you might like, or perhaps your own little tent. One of my cousins here and Grandma's loves sleeping in HER tent and won't let anyone else in it. Perhaps having your own special space will help... with something of mummy's in it, of course.
[notify]

» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Ling, Jun 17 10:45 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.