Postings by Aurora's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Cats and a Clean Home > Crating My Cat (PLEASE RESPOND) Thanks! :D
Lucy Liu

Never- Underestimate a- Special Kitty!

Purred: Mon Mar 31, '14 9:27pm PST 
I routinely use crates for new cats, ill cats, and for a rescue cat who is terrified of everything but feels safe and is only social when she's crated. I just started a new thread with an informational post on introducing a new cat to a multiple cat household using the crate method. A crate lets a cat see and safely interact with the world outside the crate whereas a cat shut into just one room doesn't get that socialization exposure.
[notify]

» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by buzz, Apr 4 5:26 am

Behavior & Training > How to introduce new cat to multiple cat household
Buddha

Purred: Mon Mar 31, '14 9:12pm PST 
It usually takes two weeks at least for a cat to adjust to a new home and for the resident cats in that home to accept the new cat. At first keep the cat in only one room or even better, an extra large plastic airline dog crate with its litter, food, water, a toy or two, and something to sleep on. With the crate method, the cat is safe but can see and interact with the resident cat through the door of the crate. If you use the crate method, let the cat out for awhile in one room by itself to exercise and explore. After the cat has been returned to the crate, let your resident cat(s) back into the room where the cat was so they can sniff around and get used to the cat's scent and presence. If you're using the separate room method, move the cat to a different room for awhile and let the resident cat come into the room where the cat previously was and let the cat sniff around. After awhile remove the resident cats and return the cat to the first room. I personally prefer the crate method because it allows for safe socialization between the resident cats and the cat 24/7. If the cat doesn't want to interact or if she's scared, she can hide in the back of the crate and feel safe.

After your new cat shows some confidence (comes to the front of the crate and shows interest in the world beyond the crate door) clip all cats claws and then let the cats meet each other while you supervise. Most likely there will be some hissing on both sides as each will be a bit afraid of the other. Generally then the cats will stay out of each others way at first, then gradually they form a truce or an understanding among them.

I have had a multiple cat household for many years and have integrated many cats successfully into my kitty family over the years with this method. I hope this information will help those of you who have a cat or cats and add a new cat to your family.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bella and Bailey , Apr 1 6:12 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Adopt a cat from Singapore.. all costs covered by me!

Uno

We little black- kitties RULE!

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 10:56am PST 
How terrible! So sad that kitties there have to endure such hells! We have a big kitty family and we're in the USA but if you can't find anyone to take Grace, I would consider giving her a home. BTW our kitty family would like to be friends with Grace. For some reason, her name wasn't clickable on the forum so we couldn't access her profile to add her as a friend.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Uno, Mar 24 10:56 am

Choosing the Right Cat > Cute hybrid cats

Gyselle

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 10:49am PST 
Almost all kittens are cute and most healthy cats are attractive. This makes choosing dificult!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, Mar 24 1:02 pm

Behavior & Training > no sleep for almost 90 days

Dova

Dragon Born

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 10:44am PST 
Perhaps the vet can give her some anti-anxiety medication or other medication that would help her calm down. Another possibility is to get her an energetic playmate that's about the same age as she is so they can wear each other out!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Monster, Mar 30 8:11 am

Behavior & Training > Inappropriate chewing/pooping
Uno

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 10:38am PST 
I've had some success with putting Bitter Apple, a substance made to stop animals from chewing things, on things I don't want the cats to chew. Bitter Apple has a bitter taste and is sold in pet stores and online pet suppliers. Hopefully your Nicky will outgrow some of the chewing behavior. My Uno was a voracious chewer, thank goodness she outgrew most of it. She destroyed a number of cords with her chewing. She was a much worse chewer than my German Shepherd puppy!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Felix, Mar 31 11:48 am

Behavior & Training > 8-month-old has started biting and clawing?

Aurora

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 10:31am PST 
One solution-get another kitten for him to play with. Then the kittens can save their rough play for each other. They also will teach each other to inhibit biting and scratching when playing.
Another solution-less effective-when your kitten attacks you, hiss at him, say in a growl voice Back Off, Stop It, etc, then ignore him for awhile. This mimics the way one cat disciplines another cat who gets too rough when playing.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Aurora, Mar 24 10:31 am

Kitten Corner > Seal-point Siamese had black and gray kittens. Unusual?

Uno

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 10:26am PST 
The seal point Siamese is genetically a black cat modified by the partial albinism Siamese gene. Your female carries the blue point gene-which is the blue dilution of black modified by the partial albinism Siamese gene. The father of the kittens must have been a black cat carrying the blue recessive since the kittens were all blacks and blues.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Uno, Mar 24 10:26 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Crating My Cat (PLEASE RESPOND) Thanks! :D

Lucy Liu

Never- Underestimate a- Special Kitty!

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 9:57am PST 
I routinely use extra large plastic airline dog crates for new cats, for sick cats, to retrain cats with potty problems, and for any other occasion where a cat needs to be confined for some reason. They make the cat feel safe because they are enclosed, the cat can still interact with the world outside of the crate through the door, and they are easy to clean and disinfect.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by buzz, Apr 4 5:26 am

Cat Health > Infected Bite
Moose

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 9:49am PST 
What you're seeing is the formation of an abscess, then the abscess bursts. What you can do when you see an abscess forming is pick off the scab and wash the abscess with hydrogen peroxide. It doesn't sting and it will get down inside the abscess and wash it out. Then put the Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment in the abscess. You can also give an injection of 1/4 cc of long-acting penicillin (sold for large animals, usually found at farm and feed stores). You inject it either subcutaneously or intramuscularly and give it daily for 5 days or until the abscess has healed.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kashi, Mar 27 8:51 pm

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.