Postings by Lilly's Family

GO!

Bombay > Is she a Bombay or Domestic Shorthair

Tig

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '14 10:52pm PST 
Is this a bombay or domestic shorthair black? Her hair is not puffy at all it almost feels as if conditioner was applied to it. It's very sleek and soft. Her paws are all black on the bottom pads, her whiskers are black. She has maybe 3 random single white hairs on her entire body and I think one of them at any given time may be debris from rolling around. I found her malnourished, with fleas, mites, worms outside. She is remarkably friendly. When I arrive home she rolls onto her back so I can rub her belly. She fetches, is extremely quiet, in fact I don't think she's meowed once in the 2 months I've had her. She is super friendly when new people come over. She almost knows they are doting on her and enjoys the attention, even if it's a perfect stranger. The day I found her i was going to be down under freezing that night. I called her and she came right over immediately. She's been here since.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tig, Apr 13 10:52 pm

Cat Health > Seeking some Guidance/Support
Lilly

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '14 10:00pm PST 
My parents lost their dog of 14 years in November. They took it hard, all their kids are grown now and gone. In January I renovated a small house I bought and my mom asked if both my cats (8yr male and 2yr rescue female) could stay with her for a couple weeks while we worked. She just missed the activity of having a pet, I agreed.

We live down south and this was Jan during a string of 12 straight sub freezing nights. I came home from work the 2nd day they were gone and this cute little black kitten (4 months old) was at my front door. I let her in and fed her. She was so adorable, friendly and trusting. I could tell she was malnourished and her hair a bit matted and dirty. I could not in good faith send her back out the door so I decided to find her a home.

One vet visit turned into two turned into three. She had worms, fleas, ear mites, malnourished and needed all her usual tests and vaccinations. Once done, she went into heat. I figured it would be hard to find her a home not spayed, so I waited another 10 days until she was done and got an appointment to be spayed. After this, was another 10 days or so of healing with the Elizabeth Collar on her. During this time my mom decided it was time for a pet because she enjoyed mine so much. She decided to take the new one when she was healed up.

My parents live in a house 3x the size of mine. I have a screened in tiny back porch. Over there they had an entire pool area, screened in to freely roam.

When we made the swap, I was unexpectedly sad to see the newest cat I found, leave. I really bonded with her in the two months I had her, way more than I thought. My mom likewise has fallen in love with both of them.

Since returning to my house they are miserable. They hiss at me, seem to realize they went from a palace to a small house and hate it and don't have the area to roam outside they loved so much. I'm really struggling with what to do now.

Is it possible my 2 cats are mad at me that I left them there that long? I mean they were loved, spoiled and had a big house, but they seem like they hate me now. I want what's best for them, not me. I don't want to selfishly keep them here if they are miserable because I miss them. I realize in retrospect I was away from them too long and it's caused them stress to be uprooted back here again.

My mom is so in love with them she offered to take them and give me the new one back. The fact that I would consider this because I loved her so much and bonded with her is making me feel guilty, like I gave up on my two. I realize this sounds silly to most people but I really love my animals and know that people here would understand the guilt I feel. But what to do?

I realize if we are going to switch back, we have to do it fast and make it decisive and final. I'm struggling with giving away my 2 cats even though it's a family member who adores them and in theory I'll still see them all the time. What made it really hard is my mom said the new one seems depressed because she misses me. So when I tried to do the right thing I feel like all I did was end up making 3 cats miserable, and think I abandoned them. Do cats feel anger or hold resentment for being left that long? Or are they just anxious and stressed? Maybe they were just happier having all that area to roam at their house and just want to be back in their big house?

Like I said I want to do what's best for them, and at this very moment, I just want them to be happy and feel like they would be happier in a huge house, with a screened in patio area with loving owners (my parents) who are retired and always home unlike me who works all week. The new one didn't know anything different so she was totally content, plus she's a kitten (6 months now) so she's more easy going anyway. I feel like the right thing to do is to send these two back to their paradise with my parents, and take the one I've bonded with and misses me back here. But the guilt I feel about all 3 being unhappy right now or the prospect that I somehow gave away my 2 best friends if I do decide to do that, is really eating at me. Perhaps it should? Or is the right thing to do to send them back and stop being so hard on myself about it, they will be loved and were happy there. And the new one was happy here.

I realize this sounds silly but I assume everyone here is an animal person like me so you get the guilt thing and the struggle about what's right for us (selfish) vs. what's right for them.

Any input would be appreciated.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Apr 14 3:13 pm

Cat Health > Younger Cat and Older Cat fighting Help

Lilly

Purred: Mon Jan 7, '13 4:37pm PST 
I have a kitten I rescued 7 months ago, and brought her home to a 7 year old male. I went by the books, kept her contained in a spare bathroom for 2 weeks until she was fully immunized, and slowly accustomed to me, and "human house sounds" She then graduated to the bedroom/bathroom area with minor interactions in the following weeks through a screen with the older cat. After that there were supervised interactions and when one acted agressively I "let them work it out" as suggested. They are now together all day in my house while I work. The kitten is so regimented to sleep in her spare bedroom, that I've continued to keep her in there from bedtime to morning. That gives both her and the older cat a little break from eachother. My problem is that the kitten seems to love to terrorize the adult cat. She whacks her tail constantly and relentlessly pounces and hunts her when the older cat walks into a room, etc. It's harmless, she is just playing but it can turn aggressive because the older cat just hates it. I've noticed my poor older cat's personality is starting to change. After I put the younger kitten to bed for the night, the older cat comes around more often but she's almost like hyper paranoid, looking left/right under/over everything for her. He becomes himself again after a few when he realizes she's gone for the night. Is it possible for cats to be jealous? I'm wondering if a secondary effect to me paying isolated attention to the kitten (who was 6 weeks when I got her) is that 7 months later she thinks I'm "hers" If I give the older cat affection, or attention I look over at the kitten and she's always there giving me a dead on wide eyed stare in almost a creepy jaded ex-girlfriend kinda way ha ha. I'm wondering if me paying attention to the older cat is perhaps a source of her aggression towards the older cat? A way to "drive her away" perhaps? The facts are the older guy is a nice guy. Everyone says oh he will make it known he's alpha, but I'm telling you he wont. He's the type to hiss, fake bite but he would never want to hurt anyone/anything. I'm fearing that a consequence of this, is some kind of constant anxiety/stress on the older cat? I brought the kitten home to save her life and was excited to bring a companion home for the older guy as well. I love them both but it kinda stinks thinking I may have made his life miserable by bringing her here. Anyone with a similar experience? suggestions? advice?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Coco, Jan 9 1:51 am

Cat Health > Please Help! Kitten Hip Dislocation

Lilly

Purred: Mon Jan 7, '13 4:24pm PST 
Thanks for your concern and comments. She is doing great! She hasn't been limping at all. I'm thinking that me playing with her and her leg getting hurt may actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The facts are we can't change the fact that she has a congenital hip degeneration, so it's better to find out as early as possible. She has been taking Cosequin Glucosamine supplements in her food in the morning. One capsule sprinkled over it, mixed with a little water so it sticks to the food and she doesn't even notice. I also ordered pharmaceutical grade salmon fish oil with EPA/DHA levels consistent with what she needs. It's made for cats and dogs and comes in a stainless steel squirt bottle so I mix that with her evening meal, also no issues. In addition, I ordered a glucosamine "treat" snack for cats that has 50mg per treat. I did that as a supplement for her and my older cat, and she loves those as well. So we got her regiment started early, and I "cat proofed" the house so she can't really jump from super high areas to low and vice versa. I'm also very careful to spend time playing with her and came up with some games she likes to play without so much run/hunt/pounce involved. You would never know she has anything wrong with her. It's remarkable how much pain tolerance they have, and how fast a young animal bounces back.
So, she is doing well! I'm just going to continue giving her joint suplements, will carefully regulate her weight, encourage safer playing and always make sure no matter what she gets her regular check ups smile
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Macy, Jan 17 7:30 pm

Lilly

Purred: Tue Dec 25, '12 11:23am PST 
Thank you. She is doing better! I'm still concerned though, because I know that cats have a high tolerance for pain. I'm hoping her ability to move around now isn't just because she's used to it. The leg is still limber, and she favors it slightly. Luckily this time of year I have time off so I go up to her hourly and play, walk her up and down the hallway and I've been doing the things I would normally do downstairs (computer, television or relaxing) upstairs with her instead of down here. I've noticed when I pick her up like normal, her back legs initially kind of hang down, and typically her paws on those hind legs are all spread out instinctivly. That right hind leg, the paw isn't spreading out. If anyone has any thoughts on that, please share. If you spread out all the toes on one of your foot, you'll notice it activates muscles up into your leg, so I'm hoping it's only the fact it's still tender and not anything more serious. I guess I'm just hoping she is "healing" vs. just learning to adapt with a lame peg leg. I think the vet thinks I'm nuts because I scheduled a follow up for later this week even though he didn't request one lol. Whatever though, better safe than sorry right? Especially with her age so young. She has so much life to live, and a 50 dollar vet visit would be a terribly short sighted thing to pass on in exchange for a long healthy pain free life. Thank you for you comment and conern smile She is napping in a sunny spot right now next to her toy "sushi" set she got for Christmas lol. Merry Christmas and god bless you all and your pets. May you have many many holidays to look forward to in the future.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Macy, Jan 17 7:30 pm

Lilly

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '12 8:56am PST 
I have a 6 month old rescue that I found malnurished outside my office. Building security was actively trying to "rid" the feral cats so I bought a safe trap, caught her and brought her home. After a few vet visits to test, immunize and evaluate I began the task of slowly adapting her to human/indoor life. She has thrived. I love this animal to death. You almost get a sense she is thankful that she was rescued.
Flash forward to this week. I was playing with her when I arrived home and holding her favorite toy for her to bat out from the air. She got into her hunting mode, attacked and leaped into the air and when she came down she let out a huge hiss and retreated away with her hind leg tucked into her body. I immediately knew there was something wrong and scooped her up and placed her inside a hard shell pet carrier. I was not able to get to the vet until the following morning where to my shock I was told that x-rays show she has a congenative hip condition that already shows signs of advanced hip deterioration. :/ I have her home now and confined in my spare bedroom where there is a couch, all her toys, several beds and blankets (at floor level) and a litter box. She is taking a narcotic anti-inflammatory orally for 3 days and I have been given glucosamine/chondrotin to sprinkle on her food once a day. In addition I was told that a fish oil supplement would be beneficial.
My question is this: How long do I keep her confined/restricted? I could not reach the doctor today but the technician called me and said to restrict her as much as possible from stairs or jumping for weeks to 3 months. My problem is I don't see how this is even possible. I feel awful because she wants to play so bad, and move but instead is confined upstairs.
I'm asking for help from anyone who may have a young kitten with a condition with their hips and any advice they may have for me. How long should I keep her confined? At what point do I consider surgery? Will she still be able to live a long life? It breaks my heart thinking she is in pain, or even worse that this amazing little creature may not even have a chance at a long healthy life. Has anyone with a similar health experience with their pet learned of secondary conditions/related problems I should watch for? Any advice would be appreciated. Rest assured, I did not rescue her to play god and determine it's too much work. I'm willing to go bankrupt if need be to save this animal and give her a happy life. Thank you.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Macy, Jan 17 7:30 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.