Postings by Coconut's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Food & Nutrition > Best food for UTI prone cat
Coconut

My mom works for- MARS Petcare

Purred: Thu Sep 27, '12 6:24am PST 
It really does depend on the type of Urinary Tract Problem the cat has. If it is constant UTI's or a specific type of crystal. Increased water in the diet does help BUT not all canned diets will control urinary tract problems. The increased hydration in them will help flush the urinary tract and reduce crystal formation but they wont necessarily prevent them. The Waltham Centre has done a lot of research on urinary tract problems and you can find some valuable information on them on their website:
http://www.waltham.com/document/nutrition/cat/cat-urinary- tract-health/276/
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Gabriel, Mar 4 1:46 pm

Senior Cats > Momma's Kind of Nervous
Cricket

Leap Year Cat

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '12 5:29am PST 
Many purrs to both of you. I have 2 long haired cats but fortunately, they like to be grooming (except for the bellies - that is a little bit of an argument). Sedating can be riskier as a cat gets older but I would make sure to check with your vet about it. Getting those mats out and not letting them build up is probably better for your cat!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ben, Angel Dreamboat,#39-1987-, Sep 9 5:49 am

Food & Nutrition > Treats and dry food

Coconut

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '12 5:25am PST 
Hi. I am a pet nutritionist for MARS Petcare. Giving some crunchy treats is just fine. Many cats like to have some texture in their diet. In fact, some cats can get stressed if you try and take all the "crunchy" out of their diet and that isn't good for them.

Wet foods are great at supporting hydration but most cats and dogs on dry food do adjust their water intake to make up for the lower moisture in their diet and they do just fine.

Also, if you are feeding a wet diet, giving a few dry treats a day certainly isn't going to upset their water balance and will likely make them happier.

Sounds like you are a great pet parent so keep it up!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Sep 8 9:00 pm

Food & Nutrition > Advice on foods that will avoid overlapping problems

Coconut

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 7:10am PST 
Hi. I am a pet nutritionist for MARS Petcare. You have a tough situation! I think one of the important things for you is to figure out the allergy part. If the allergies cycle, it may be that your cat has an environmental allergy issue and if it is that, the foods arent going to help much. You may have to turn to medical control of it.

For the Urinary issues, be careful thinking that wet foods will prevent UTI's. They can reduce risks by increasing urine volume through higher moisture intakes. However, wet foods are not formulated to manage existing Urinary issues or to prevent urinary issues. For this, you really need diets that are formulated for urinary tract problems. There are usually dry and wet versions of these diets to help you and you should find out, if you can, what specific type of urinary problem your cat keeps having (there are many types of crystals) so you can get the right diet.

Try calling Royal Canin. They have a series of dry and wet diets and have a lot of experience in both urinary tract and allergy diets. The Vets there can probably help you pick the right diet for your situation.

Good luck
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gumpy Sweet Boy , Aug 30 10:06 am

Food & Nutrition > Mom is against switching our cats to an all canned food diet :|

Coconut

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 6:59am PST 
Hi. I am a pet nutritionist with MARS Petcare. Wet foods are a great option for cats. They are complete and balanced just like dry foods so you will still be getting the same nutrition your cats need. You are right that the much higher moisture levels do help to flush the urinary tract. Some cats will not drink enough water on their own to do this so wet foods help to increase hydration.

The higher moisture also means lower calorie density so your cat can eat a higher volume for the sameamount of calories. This can help with satiation for cats that have a hard time controlling hunger and intake.

There is also research showing that, given the choice, cats select foods based on Protein:Fat:Carb energy ratios which are similar to what you find in wet foods. So wet can satisfy this intrinsic need in cats as well.

Cats do also like variety so as long as your cats do well with it, a variety of wet foods is fine. As long as they are complete & balanced for the right lifestage.

The one thing I would think about is dental health. Wet foods do have calcium and several other nutrients which support teeth and jaw health but I would include either dental treats or toothbrushing will help with cleaning teeth. because of this. many times I recommend mixed feeding to people to get the best of both worlds.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by McCow, Sep 5 1:44 pm

Cat Health > UTI prevention in male cats
Coconut

Purred: Fri Jul 27, '12 8:52am PST 
Hi. I am a nutritionist for MARS Petcare. Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things. There are idiopathic urinary problems (meaning there are no known causes). A lot of them can be managed better with the prescription diets. I know a previous message suggested they dont work but you have to get the right diet. There are many different types of crystals and urinary problems and many diets are designed to handle one or two of them but not all of them. This becomes a problem if you dont have a good diagnosis of what the problem actually is.

The Royal Canin S/O diet can handle several crystals and has been used with idiopathic cystitis but I would check with your Vet to see if this is an option for you. They do make wet and dry varieties.

Wet foods are good for increasing urine volume and flushing the system but the over-the-counter canned foods are made for healthy cats, not necessarily for managing a known urinary tract problem.

I
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by BK, Feb 2 9:54 am

Food & Nutrition > Pork canned food

Coconut

Purred: Fri Jul 27, '12 8:40am PST 
I am a pet nutritionist that works for MARS Petcare. Pork is a digestible protein for pets and while there may be a small proportion of pets with allergies to pork, it is not one of the most common ones.

The reason pork isn't used as much as some of the other proteins is simple. It's that the ingredient isn't as available as some of the other animal proteins. There just isn't enough of a supply.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Jan 19 5:29 am

Food & Nutrition > good quality canned for cat with renal disease?

Coconut

Purred: Fri Jul 27, '12 8:17am PST 
Royal Canin makes good wet renal diets. It is difficult to make a palatable renal diet, especially in wet but their diets do pretty well. Of course, they are prescription diets so you do need to purchase through a Vet. I would stick with the prescription diets that are specifically for renal disease to help manage the cat. It does involve more than just controlling phosphorous levels and those diets are specific for the disease.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Gumpy Sweet Boy , Jul 27 11:20 am

Food & Nutrition > Help! Starbuck needs a work out!

Coconut

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 8:17am PST 
Your cat probably does need less calories than you are feeding now. You can decrease the food you are feeding. Don't do too much at once. It should be gradual. You can also try replacing some dry food with wet food. It has less calories per gram and can help fill your pet up easier.

Sounds like you would like to increase your cat's activity which is another option. You should play with a variety of toys with your cat to see what they are most interested in. For our office cats, we use food puzzles where they have to work to get their food. They like the mental activity. We also use a lot of wands with toys hanging off the end (looks like a fishing pole). Our cats like to jump around and chase these. We don't leave these with the cats because they tend to destroy them but that makes them more desirable because they cant always get to them.

We have also used laser pointer type toys to get the cats chasing around the room.

If you rotate toys the cats have access to, it also helps to keep them active and interacting with their toys.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Starbuck, Jul 20 6:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > Need advice on feeding skinny kitten.
Coconut

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 2:43am PST 
Hi. I am the main nutritionist for MARS Petcare US.

Wet kitten foods are the best to get nutrition and energy into a small kitten. The loaf products (vs chunks in gravy) are more concentrated energy. For dry or wet, the important thing is to get something that is complete and balanced for growth. Both diet formats are good for kittens.

I would recommend against any supplemental of vitamins and minerals on top of complete and balanced foods. That can throw off vitamin and mineral balances which can affect their development.

Hope this helps
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Cinder, Jul 20 5:55 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.