Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Food & Nutrition > Can't afford canned food anymore... $60/monthly budget to feed 3 cats, help?
KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Fri Aug 3, '12 3:09pm PST 
Hey again all smile Thank you so much for all of your responses! I know many of you have recommended homemade/raw food, and I do appreciate your suggestions. I have actually quite extensively investigated that option, and if I were to buy everything to make raw food, I couldn't afford it because of all the
vitamins I would need to buy to add to the food. I think raw feeding is great and can be a huge cost saver in the long run, but my problem is that I can't come up with enough money for the initial costs.

For this month, I ended up buying a 15 lb bag of Purina ONE, which was on sale at Walmart for $23 (after hours of researching costs, looking at a ton of flyers, calculating, etc. I found that to be the cheapest for the quality), and two cases (24 of the 5.5 oz cans each) of Friskies for about $13 per case on sale. I have been feeding my three babies twice a day, as usual- they are getting Purina ONE dry food in the morning and Friskies canned food (I add extra water to it because I'm hoping that will somewhat make up for the liquids they're not getting with their first meal).

I have no idea how long a 15 lb. bag of the Purina ONE will last, but I'm assuming it will last for more than a month, because back when I used to free feed the 3 cats Friskies dry food (this was before I knew anything at all about pet nutrition), a 15 lb. bag lasted them a month. I don't free feed and haven't in ages, and since 50% of their daily diet is wet food, I'm wondering if the 15 lb. bag will last maybe a month and a week or so (I am factoring in that I still have to free feed them dry food a few days a month when I cannot be home all day)

As far as wet food goes, I know for sure that all I can afford to buy is Friskies. With the dry food, I can pay up to about $27 per 15 lb bag. I know that Purina ONE is better than some other grocery store types of food, but I'm not sure by how much, because I am so used to feeding the premium foods. If anyone knows of dry food that is nutritionally better than Purina ONE and would be about $27 or less for a 15 lb. bag, please let me know! If there isn't anything better out there in that price range, I think I'm going to have stick to feeding them the Purina ONE dry food in the morning and Friskies wet food in the afternoon. Thank you all again sooo much for all of your suggestions smile
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 11:12 pm

Food & Nutrition > Can't afford canned food anymore... $60/monthly budget to feed 3 cats, help?
KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Tue Jul 24, '12 1:58am PST 
Wow, so many responses! My head is swimming lol, I did read all of them but I think I'll have to re-read. To Cookie- I have been feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control, as KitKat is pretty overweight (weighed in at 16 lbs a few months ago!) and Lily is chubby. As for Simba, he's very fit, so I give him extra of the kibble accordingly so he doesn't lose weight since he doesn't need to. The thing about sales is that I'm in Canada, so most of the sales you guys get I can't always get... I do go to the States once a month to visit family (that's how I was able to buy the Soulistic, I stocked up for the month when I went to the States). I'm always on the lookout for sales (I check the Petco online flyer numerous times a month, as well as my local PetSmart's and PetValu's).

I have thought about trying my cats on The Honest Kitchen's Prowl formula, because a store near me sells a bag/box/whatever it comes in (lol) for $43 plus tax, and it makes 12 lbs of food. It seems like the answer to the hydration & urinary tract health issue... and while it is heavier in vegetables than I would like to see (and high in calories, but that's what feeding schedules and measuring cups are for), it might be the healthiest option I can afford. My only concern is that it might not last them the whole month (when I was free feeding them dry Friskies before I knew about the higher quality foods and feeding schedules), they went through a 15 lb. bag in a month, but I have them on a feeding schedule now... so I have thought of a tentative alternative, but I'm worried that the food won't last them a whole month. Does anyone have any experience with THK, in particular Prowl?

I am very open to more food ideas, as well as feedback on THK. My kitties run out of food after their first scheduled meal today, so I have to run out and buy them something else and I'm pretty indecisive lol. My only other thought was Purina One, because while it's not great quality, I get the impression that it's one of the better cheaper foods out there... so yeah, and suggestions, feedback, etc. on this post would be great. And sorry for ranting so much laugh out loud Thank you all for your help!hug
[notify]

» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 11:12 pm

KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '12 9:47pm PST 
Hey guys... I'm having somewhat of a meltdown right now because I don't know what to do about cat food. I'm disabled and won't be able to work for a few years, so there's absolutely nothing I can do to increase my income or the amount I can spend on my cats... I tried feeding my cats a 50% canned food diet daily (was feeding them Soulistic canned food and Blue Buffalo dry food), but the wet food cost was almost $50 this month and the dry food cost was a bit over $40.

I don't know what to do because I worry about them having urinary tract problems in the future, which was why I put them on the 50% canned food diet in the first place, and I have been feeding them premium food for ages to hopefully avoid them having health problems later on in life. But there's no way I can afford $90 on cat food a month, as a matter of fact even spending $60 makes it almost impossible for me to make ends meet every month... does anyone have ANY suggestions to cut food costs or something? Do I need to re-home my cats because I can't financially provide them healthy nutrition? frown My cats are all rescues and I firmly believe that unless there are extenuating circumstances, animals should not be given away, animals are given away by people so readily all the time and it really gets to me... I don't want to be one of those people, and I love my cats so dearly, they are a huge comfort to me frown
[notify]

» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 11:12 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Old cat or young cat?

KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Mon Jun 25, '12 11:52pm PST 
Do you free feed or feed your cat on a schedule? If you did get a younger cat and fed them both on a schedule, you could 'supervise' their feeding, as in make sure each cat stays out of the others' bowl. However, a lot of brands have foods that are appropriate for all life stages. I know for sure that Innova has a cat and kitten food, I have 3 cats, one was about 5 month old kitten when I first put them all on that, the second was a 2 year old, the third was a five year old. All three cats did great on it, the adults and the kitten Simba is now a few months over a year, very active, healthy, long and a great weight. Innova is a high quality food, although I know a lot of people here are uncomfortable with it because P&G bought it a while ago (however, Innova is made in a factory separate from where P&G has their other pet foods made, so my belief is that if anyone wants to feed Innova, no problem, they should just keep a close eye on the label to make sure the food formula hasn't changed to add any less desirable ingredients). EVO's Turkey and Chicken formula is NOT made by P&G, Natura still owns them, and it is a cat & kitten food. So a food that's suitable for cats and kittens would solve that problem, or else having the kitten on kitten food and your current cat on the one it's on now, and just supervising them.

I know my cats get annoyed with the youngest pretty often (my oldest is turning 6 in early July, so he's not super old)... I think you should think of, is my cat the type of cat that will tolerate a kitten well? Kittens can be very hyper and active. Cats can adjust, but if your cat likes to rest a lot and has a lower activity level, a kitten may just tire her out or aggravate her. You know your cat the best, so if you think she would tolerate a kitten well, get a kitten. If not, maybe you should look at adopting another older cat. I hope this helped a bit.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 24 2:05 pm

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Petsmart Sweepstakes - Have you played?

Simba

Purred: Mon Jun 25, '12 4:31am PST 
I've been playing since the first day, haven't won anything but my fingers are still crossed laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 3:08 am

Food & Nutrition > Is a 50% canned food diet good?
KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '12 11:37pm PST 
Thanks for your input guys smile I will definitely add water to the canned food! It didn't even occur to me to do that, so that was a great suggestion... thanks! I will definitely feed grain-free dry, I was already planning on it. I haven't decided which brand of grain-free dry yet, but I know of a few different brands that are all high quality and about the same level of quality, so I'm just going to pick out of those depending on price and calorie content of the food, since KitKat is pretty overweight, and one of my others has a pound or two to lose.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 10:11 pm

Food & Nutrition > Petco Sale 6/24-7/21, wet food sale

Lily

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '12 11:10pm PST 
Thanks for the heads up on the sale! I'm going this weekend coming up, or else the next weekend, to get Soulistic, great to know that it's on sale! big grin I have a dog too, so I was happy to know that they have some dog food on sale too because I had planned on buying it in Canada (I live in Canada but go to the States once a month to visit family)... now I know to wait and see if it's cheaper to get it there smile Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 11:10 pm

Food & Nutrition > Is a 50% canned food diet good?

KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Sat Jun 23, '12 9:16pm PST 
Hey everyone. I have been tirelessly searching for a great diet for my cats that is affordable to me (I am disabled so I have a very tight budget). After reading a lot of sad stories about poor kitties having urinary tract issues due to being fed dry foods, I wanted to switch my cats to an all canned food diet. I was feeding them Soulistic, and even though it's only a bit over a dollar for a 5.5 oz can, since I have three cats I realized there's no way I could afford an all canned food diet.

So my tentative plan is to feed my cats one meal of Soulistic's Harvest Sunrise or Good Karma (first one is chicken and pumpkin, second one is just chicken... I think I read somewhere that a lot of seafood is bad for cats?) once daily, and then feed them either Innova Prime, Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Acana for their second meal. It's still way out of my budget to be honest, but I love my kitties dearly and don't want their health to suffer because I'm on a super tight budget. Is a 50% canned food diet still good for my three cats to prevent urinary tract issues, or does they really need to be on an all canned food diet?
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 10:11 pm

Food & Nutrition > Best canned cat food

Lily

Purred: Sat Jun 23, '12 8:59pm PST 
My cats (all three!) love Soulistic's Harvest Sunrise (chicken and pumpkin). It's sold at Petco and only only a bit over $1 for a 5.5 oz can. It's also grain-free, check out the site if you want: http://www.soulisticpet.com/ I don't think there is a canned food that is the 'best', as you said, there are a lot of great quality options out there. It's all about what works for you and your cat(s), as in what they like, and what you can buy them.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 10:35 pm

Food & Nutrition > Merrick Before Grain Canned Food?
KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 6:19am PST 
Shadow- It's fine, I'm glad you informed me. I know you weren't trying to make me nervous... lol. I just really worry about their health and all these recalls and issues with the pet food lately scares the heck out of me, I don't know what I'd do if my cats or my dog got very ill or worse.

I picked up the Soulistic yesterday, I paid $1.39 per 5.5 oz can unfortunately, since apparently you could only get the sale price if you have their pet pals card thing. But I can be happy with that, because most 5.5 oz cans of premium food here are $2.00 each. I bought the cats 8 cans of the Harvest Sunrise kind (chicken and pumpkin in gravy), and also one can of the Good Karma chicken (just chicken in gravy).

I'm having a relative that's already planning on going to the States next weekend pick up a lot more cans, and I've signed up for the pet pals card now so I think I can get the sale price. I fed the cats Soulistic's Harvest Sunrise for their morning meal and all three LOVED it, I have honestly never seen them eat so much in one sitting. Thanks so much to those of you that recommended Soulistic, and those of you that gave input on this thread in general smile sorry for the super long post, I tend to rant a little laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 3 5:08 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.