Postings by Mr. Softee's Family

GO!

Raw Food Diet > Need help choosing types of meat to feed my kitten

Mr. Softee

Purred: Thu Jun 21, '12 8:21am PST 
Cats are raw fed a bit differently than dogs. The bone requirements for cats is less - more like 5-7%. Cats need more dark meat for the taurine. So, that being said, I feed my two cats beef heart, pork, rabbit, and occasionaly chicken. For organs they love pig brains (yeah, I know...eeww), chicken liver, beef liver. I get beef hearts for about $6 a piece and they weigh about 5-6 lbs each. Pork is also pretty cheap - I paid $18 for an 12 lb roast. The wild rabbits are $7 a piece, but one will last me about 2-3 weeks. It's hard to figure cost for each cat because I am also feeding my dog the same stuff.
The feeding schedule is meat and organs 5 days a week, then bony meals 2 days a week. The bony meals are what the chicken necks and rabbit are for.
Cats need variety or they can get stuck in a rut and only think one food is safe to eat. (took forever to get my cats to eat pork at first).
Good Luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mr. Softee, Jun 21 8:21 am

Raw Food Diet > Bone content
Mr. Softee

Purred: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:52am PST 
If you feed twice a day, you could do the rabbit in the morning, then something fatty with organs at the evening meal.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Jun 15 5:09 pm

Raw Food Diet > Electric Vs. Manual Meat Grinders

Mr. Softee

Purred: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:50am PST 
When I introduced my older cat to raw, I had the meat ground just to get him used to the taste. I then went to rough ground with bone. Then to no grinding at all. Cats as well as dogs will not get the teeth cleaning benefit from ground raw food. We started with chicken for the first month and then slowly added new proteins from there. My Maine Coon took to raw right away so he got a chicken neck or two wings in the morning, then boneless chicken at night. I also gave him a chicken heart every day for the taurine. (the darker the meat, the more taurine).
Also, you lose taurine when meat is ground because of the exposure to air. You also have more bacteria in ground - again because of the air exposure.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Smudge, Apr 5 5:40 am

Raw Food Diet > butcher was mean, mean butcher :((

Mr. Softee

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 1:51pm PST 
Sorry you're having such a problem! I'm really amazed you spend $150 a month! Have you done any research to see if you have a local poultry , pig, cattle farm?
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by BK, Jun 24 4:33 pm

Raw Food Diet > How much do you spend on food?

Mr. Softee

Purred: Fri Feb 10, '12 7:44am PST 
I probably spend more than most. Softee was out in the wild on his own for 6 mos before I "adopted" him so he already had a taste for rabbit and fowl. I just placed an order with Hare Today for $50 (that's with shipping) for enough food to last a month. That averages to about $1.66 a day. I was paying $1.80 a can for blue buffalo wilderness and he ate 2 cans a day, so I am saving money there. I will throw in chicken gizzards and hearts that I purchase from the grogery about once a week. That runs about $1.75 a week.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by bed Snatchers, Feb 11 5:15 pm

Raw Food Diet > dangers of raw and kibble
Mr. Softee

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '12 6:37pm PST 
So how do I handle this situation? One cat raw, the other refusing? Bandit is a bit overweight so I can't let him go without eating. He won't even tough canned food (he does love lunchmeat though).
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Allen, Jan 27 3:46 pm

Raw Food Diet > dangers of raw and kibble

Mr. Softee

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '12 11:19am PST 
I started on raw about 2 weeks ago and have been doing great! The other cat, Bandit (no pic yet) is older and is being stubborn, so I have been leaving the kibble available. Softee generally has his raw in the am, nibbles on kibble throughout the day, then gets a raw dinner at night. He's young and thin so I'm not worried about weight gain, but someone mentioned you shouldn't do this because of a bacteria issue. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Allen, Jan 27 3:46 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.