Postings by Kosmo's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Kitten Corner > The Naming Of Cats
Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:23pm PST 
Ah, all these stories about how cats here got their names are great! And yeah, T.S. Eliot's poem is so good and bears repeating : )

My friend mentioned she wanted to name her next cat 'Patio' which I think is so cute...Patio the cat-io!
[notify]

» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 11:10 am

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 1:23pm PST 
Here's what T.S. Eliot had to say about the naming of cats (which a lot of us have read before):

'The Naming of Cats'

The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey--
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter--
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover--
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.
[notify]

» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 11:10 am

Kosmo

Sharp Dressed- Man

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:54am PST 
I got my name cause Mom thought it was pretty cosmic how I came into her life i.e. by accident...or was it? She decided to spell it with a 'K' because she and her brother have a longstanding inside joke about the letter 'K.' I came from mom's friend and already had the name 'Riley' but mom thought that was a silly name for a cat!

My brother Toro got his name for a few reasons:

1. He kicks his feet on the ground like a bull when he gets petted.
2. He's black-and-white like a cow/bull.
3. He has a mask like a Mexican wrestler!

Toro was named 'Nutterbutter' at the shelter and again, mom thought that was a ridiculous name for a cat!
[notify]

» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 11:10 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Ant Extermination

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Tue May 29, '12 10:32pm PST 
We've had ant problems in the past and have successfully used a product called 'Orange Guard.' It is made from orange peels and inert ingredients. It kills the ants on contact and is safe to use around pets, and we would also spray the door frames that lead outside and the window frames outside for preventative purposes. You can buy it at hardware stores (like Ace and OSH). We like it!

http://www.orangeguard.com/
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Isabelle, Jul 19 12:11 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > So, this is a question about clumping clay litter.

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Sat May 19, '12 8:21am PST 
So we added more litter yesterday afternoon so now we're at a depth pf 5 inches or so. Last night there were no clumps stuck to the bottom but this morning's 'scoop' was the real test since 12 hours had gone by since the last scooping. Happily, we think the extra litter solved the problem because there was nothing stuck to the bottom of either box! Yay!

I guess more is more in this case...especially for a kitty who likes to dig!

Thanks again for the replies : )
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 2 9:31 pm

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 11:41am PST 
Thanks for the reply! We will add some more litter to make it deeper and see if that helps but that will be like 30 pounds of litter in each box, maybe that's normal...haha. We also think one of us (Kosmo) digs in the box a lot which would contribute to the problem. Mom is relatively new to cats and certain things about felines are very mystifying to her : )
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 2 9:31 pm

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Thu May 17, '12 10:39pm PST 
Hi all, We've got questions about cat litter. After trying silica crystals and the World's Best corn litter, we decided to try Dr. Elsey's scoopable litter. We really like it for its odor control, low tracking and its affordable price. And it clumps well. Our question is this: How much litter of this type should be in the box? We've got two boxes (one is mega-sized and one is jumbo sized) and both are filled to a depth of 3-4 inches, as seems to be recommended by the package and by other cat caregivers. We scoop 2-3 times a day but even with that depth and the amount of scooping, we are finding some urine clumps stuck on the bottom of the box that are very difficult to remove and break apart which essentially defeats the purpose of clumping litter. The ones that do clump are nice, hard balls that are easily scooped. Does anyone else have this problem with clumping clay litter? Are we not using enough? Too much? Help?!?!

Thanks and have a good one : )
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 2 9:31 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > What to use for litter disposal?

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Thu May 10, '12 9:47pm PST 
Mom also uses the little plastic bags that come on a roll for the litter box waste and they work great and are also used for the bathroom garbage since the can is small. They are the 4-gallon size and we get them at Target. Plastic bags are also banned in our city so we use those plus scavenge as many plastic grocery bags as we can from friends and stores outside San Jose.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 18 3:57 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Affordable clumping litter with little to no dust?

Kosmo

Sharp Dressed- Man

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '12 11:18pm PST 
So glad we read this thread! We've tried silica crystal cat litter (ultimately too dusty and expensive but controlled odor well) and we tried World's Best corn litter and it also controlled odor but after a while the urine clumps would all break apart so we have been looking for something new and we need to buy litter soon. We're looking forward to trying the Dr. Elsey's litter as it seems like it could be the best of both worlds for us! Thanks : )
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Merlin Sage, May 5 9:16 am

Cat Health > Do cats eat/do less in warm weather?
Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '12 11:02pm PST 
Hello! Now that the weather has warmed up, Kosmo and I are eating less and get super-chilled out. Mom hasn't had cats for very long and is wondering if that is standard cat behavior? It can get quite warm in the house and we've had a few hot days recently. We have access to water 24/7 and the back rooms of the house are fairly cool so we hang out there when it warms up and just laze around. Thoughts? And thank you!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, May 1 3:40 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.