Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Raw Food Diet > Not digesting raw food
Allen

Just one of- Auntie Crazy's- crew.

Purred: Sat Sep 15, '12 12:37pm PST 
I think we have way too little info to make any kind of reasoned guess as to why your kitty was vomiting. It is, however, extremely unlikely she suddenly stopped being able to digest her natural diet.

This "Troubleshooting the Transition" article may offer you some helpful advice: http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/raw-feeding/troubleshooting -the-transition/

Best regards.

AC
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 15 12:37 pm

Raw Food Diet > Study comparing cost of raw to canned / kibble
Allen

Purred: Sat Apr 21, '12 11:19am PST 
I'm sorry, hun, I didn't even think of it!

I'm glad you found it anyway! :-}

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 5 7:57 am

Raw Food Diet > Study comparing cost of raw to canned / kibble

Allen

Purred: Fri Apr 20, '12 7:57pm PST 
Glad you're finding that information interesting, Merlin!

Hare-Today products were not included because the comparison was strictly between commercially-prepared "balanced" food products.

Best regards!

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 5 7:57 am

Food & Nutrition > Pet food companies stepping up! Transparency, at last!

Allen

Purred: Thu Apr 19, '12 9:19pm PST 
Seven pet food companies have created, or are in the process of creating, "Pledges" that publicly list and guarantee the quality and country of origin of every ingredient in their pet foods.

This is the kind of information we've been pushing for, brought to you through the efforts of hundreds of letters and emails, overwhelming public opinion, and Susan Thixton of TruthAboutPetFood.com.

The seven companies who have offered full transparency into the quality and origin of their pet food ingredients are: Honest Kitchen Pet Food, Lucky Dog Cuisine, FreshFetch, Nature's Logic, People Fud, Raw Health, and ZiwiPeak.

More information can be found on Susan's site: http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/unprecedented-pet-food-tra nsparency.html

If you're one of the many struggling to decide what to feed your kitties, the pledges offered by these companies should give you some definite "food for thought"!

Best regards.

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 19 9:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > Has anyone ever offered their cat live prey?

Allen

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 7:39pm PST 
Actually, to respond to your last sentence first, responsible reptile owners *don't* feed their pets live prey unless the animal otherwise refuses to eat. (I have been involved in breeding and rescuing snakes, so I'm familiar with snake management practices.)

Feeding live prey is indeed cruel to the prey, but more importantly (from our perspective), it puts our furry friends at risk for nasty bites from uncooperative rodents.

I support offering live crickets, however. They can't hurt the cats and are much more attractive when they're hopping around instead of legs-up. ;-}

CatInfo.org and Feline-Nutrition.org both have helpful transitioning articles; http://catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_ and http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/how-to-transition-your-cat-to- a-raw-diet respectively.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I hope you can find something that works for you and your boy!

Best regards.

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 11:57 am

Raw Food Diet > Stupid Beginner Questions
Allen

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 4:40pm PST 
Of course you can feed your cat snacks of pure meat you picked up from the grocery store. And, no, you don't need to cook it. (Cooking it would destroy many of the nutrients that make raw meat so darn healthy!)

The only two points to remember are: *Don't* feed more than 15% of the diet as plain raw meat *unless* you're ready to start balancing that meat with bone-in meals and organs, and be very careful none of the meat you buy has been enhanced with any type of broth or spice. Look for labels like "more flavorful," "juicier," "enhanced," etc. The added spices on these meats can wreak all sorts of havoc on a cat's digestive system, so check everything - even if it's something you bought before.

Best regards.

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 30 1:01 pm

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw for cats, need resources

Allen

Purred: Sun Mar 25, '12 9:35am PST 
If you want to feed a raw ground mix, you can take a look at CatInfo.org and Feline-Nutrition.org. If you want to do whole prey or frankenprey, then CatCentric.org and RawFedCats.org will be your best options.

And I happen to know the author of CatCentric.org is very helpful and can answer any questions you run into; either email her from the site or ping her from the Facebook page. ;-}

Best regards!

Tracy
(Author of CatCentric.org)
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 27 7:32 am

Raw Food Diet > Opinions on Nature's Variety - New to Raw!

Allen

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 8:41am PST 
Transitioning to raw will not make a cat constipated; feeding him unbalanced foods that contain too little water or too much bone will.

Cats have a built-in warning system that discourages them from eating foods that have made them sick, and that's one reason your cat may have stopped eating that mix. If he's constipated, he's uncomfortable and that's another reason a cat goes off his food.

I would pick a different raw food and start feeding him that, while watching him carefully to ensure he's pottying normally - if he's not, he may need a vet visit.

If you were mixing kibble with raw foods, please do not do so going forward. It's a dangerous practice that could make your cat sick and likely does make him nauseous. (When you feed kibble and raw, the cat's body receives signals to produce two entirely different sets of digestive enzymes, and it will have to work harder to digest either of them. Also, kibble contains unnaturally high loads of bacteria.)

Best regards.

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 18 12:28 pm

Raw Food Diet > Opinions on Nature's Variety - New to Raw!

Allen

Purred: Wed Mar 7, '12 10:56am PST 
Although Nature's Variety has a pathogen-free guarantee - making it attractive to new and still-nervous raw-feeders - it's not one of those I would recommend. The 15% bone content is too high and often causes constipation, and it has quite a few problematic ingredients beyond just the fruits and veggies. Many (most?) of the cat owners I've worked with eventually moved their cats off this product.

If you do use it, I would add a bit of water to the patties as you're feeding them and also dilute the content a bit with fresh meat chunks.

Best regards.

AC
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 18 12:28 pm

Raw Food Diet > the joys of raw, and looking for research
Allen

Purred: Thu Feb 9, '12 8:50pm PST 
Bed-Snatchers, you were kind to post the link and I thank you for your courtesy.

That particular item is a separate book specific to dogs, not cats. The 1986 cat version of that book is a $15 paperback all of 88 pages long; the hardback is not available through Amazon at all, even were it worth the purchase.

The book I referenced is most definitely not available anywhere for "about 9 dollars"; I assure you I would not have paid what I did if it were! :-}

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 9 8:50 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.