Postings by Tigger's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Cat Health > Obsessive licking, hair gone and skin raw
Casper

Is that a bird I- spy with my- little eye?

Purred: Sun Jul 8, '12 10:27am PST 
Just a little update! The collar she made was slipping down and rubbing on the top part of his sore. Last night we cut it off and made the hole larger, plus we added some gauze to cushion it. He is adjusting well, and it is working much better. We have been trying to wash off the scab, like she said too, but it really seems to just be irritating it worse. Do you think I should just let the scab form? I hope it continues to heal!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Casper, Jul 8 10:27 am

Casper

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 5:14pm PST 
We just got back from the vet! She made a cone out of an old piece of x-ray paper and stapled it up high around his neck so he wouldn't lick it (the e-collar would have rubbed). She also shaved around it, and gave us a liquid steroid/ antibiotic mix to put on the sore. We are supposed to put it on 2x a day for 5 days. She also recommended that we wash off any type if scab that starts to form. If it isn't almost healed by Monday, she is going to come over and give him a steroid injection. I hope it heals well. Thanks for all the help.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Casper, Jul 8 10:27 am

Food & Nutrition > Best canned cat food

Bella

Quiet down, I am- sleeeeping.

Purred: Wed Jul 4, '12 11:13am PST 
The absolute best would be something that is grain-free and doesn't have too many unnecessary fruits and veggies. Sometimes it seems like we all forget that cats are carnivores! Evo is an awesome food, but also very pricey. Wellness Core is coming out with new varieties, and Blue Wilderness is great.

Around here, we feed Blue Buff. and Innova because it's what we can afford. When we are running low and can't drive all the way to get those foods, I sometimes pick up some Newman's Organics or Trader Joe's food. All kitties are very healthy around here! smile
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sammy, Jul 25 10:35 pm

Casper

Purred: Wed Jul 4, '12 10:16am PST 
He didn't have anything on it last night, and I could hear him licking it all night. It is a bit bigger today, so he will definitely be visiting the vet tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a good outcome! way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Casper, Jul 8 10:27 am

Casper

Purred: Tue Jul 3, '12 9:12am PST 
Thanks for the help everyone. He has been eating the same food since he was about 9 months old. Before that he ate Blue Buffalo kitten, but he much preferred TOTW. He is now a little over 2 years old, and has never before had any problems before.

We are having family over tomorrow for the fourth, which I hope won't stress him out a ton. I will probably put them all in my room while they are here, that way there is no chance of them getting outside either. He is usually a very relaxed cat, Bella is the one who hates company and loud noise. I was hoping he would heal at home, since money is really tight. However, if he needs to see a vet, that's what we will do. I just want him to be healthy. Thank you everyone.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Casper, Jul 8 10:27 am

Casper

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '12 3:24pm PST 
Hi everyone. About 1-2 weeks ago, we noticed Casper was licking his neck a lot. We didn't think too much of it at the time, but eventually the hair started coming off in that spot. We have tried large band-aids, bandannas, and a bandanna/ gauze wrap combo. Each time, he finds a way to lick and scratch the spot again. We do have an e-collar (cone of shame) left over from when our chihuahua was spayed, but I feel like that would hurt his sore worse. Plus he is already a very light eater, and he rarely drinks water (our fountain broke and he absolutely hates wet food), I feel like this will put him keep him from eating and drinking all together, which would NOT be good.

I really just want to let it heal, and keep it from getting infected. I have read that it could be caused by a food allergy, but he really only eats dry TOTW. He hates the Blue Buffalo and wellness wet food that the other cats eat. He doesn't have fleas either. Maybe it's and emotional thing?

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this, and how to prevent it from becoming worse? Thanks ahead of time! smile
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Casper, Jul 8 10:27 am

Cat Health > Essential Oils and Cats

Bella

Quiet down, I am- sleeeeping.

Purred: Sun May 20, '12 1:27pm PST 
I use a lot of the herbal defense spray from the only natural pet store for our dogs. The cats aren't usually too close to the dogs, and I always spray it outside. It says it is safe for cats on the bottle, but I don't think I would ever put it directly on them or their beds. Just to be on the safe side. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by QGM Harlequin (Striped Seven), May 22 1:31 pm

Cat Health > Kitty Sunscreen

Casper

Purred: Sun May 20, '12 1:22pm PST 
Casper is all white, except for a grey spot on his head and some hairs on his tail. His ears got burnt a little bit a few days ago, but it wasn't too bad. I think he fell asleep on the balcony in the full sun. For myself, I am extremely picky about sunblock. Most of it is a huge concoction of cancer-causing chemicals. As a result, I am even more wary to use it Casper, since he would probably be ingesting a large amount of it. For now, I am just going to encourage him to sleep inside during the day, and hope he doesn't get brunt again. I think the window coverings sound like a great idea for you! Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Casper, May 20 1:22 pm

Food & Nutrition > Transitioning to canned, how?

Casper

Purred: Sun Oct 16, '11 12:40pm PST 
What a coincidence, I was just looking at that. Petco is also having free shipping on orders over $49. Plus, it looks like NV comes out to about $1.17-$1.33 a can right now. That really is a great deal! I might just have to order some. Thanks for the heads up guys! smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Casper, Oct 16 12:40 pm

Behavior & Training > Cat wants out??
Tigger

I do a trick,- you give me your- sandwich.

Purred: Sun Oct 16, '11 10:46am PST 
Hi there! We live out in the country with a lot of predators and feral cats. My fursiblings have been indoors only every since they were adopted. However, we do spend a very large portion of our day on the balcony watching life go by. So, I guess it's more interesting then being confined inside all day. However, I do sometimes like to go outside, only during the day though. I used to be a homeless kitty, so I never lost my love for the outdoors, and I am pretty street smart.

Anyways, once in a blue moon, Meomie will take Casper and Bella outside to visit the great outdoors. They love it, even if they only get to stay for about 5-10 minutes. For about a week after that, they will try to run out the door every time one of out pawparents opens the door. It can get a little annoying, but they get over it soon enough.

My advice to you, would be to stop taking her out all together. It seems like it might be more inconvenient for you, and your cat's personality probably won't work well with only taking her out every once in a while. Maybe try distracting her when she begins demanding that you let her out. Try playing with her, does she have any favorite toys? Also, maybe you could make a little window seat by a bird's nest, or something interesting. Don't reward her behavior though. So basically, I would try to get her to love being indoors SO much, she will forget that there is anything beyond the window. That's just an idea, I hope you can get this figured out!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ella, Oct 18 1:21 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.