Postings by Simon & Tony's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Grooming > Long hair tips - matting - (plus gravol question...)
Simon & Tony

Clinic Cats

Purred: Tue Mar 6, '12 9:49am PST 
Yes, I used to feed my dogs and cats blue wilderness, acana, orijen, I gave taste of the wild for Stewie for a bit too. I have now switched over to raw and all of my pets are doing awesome. I will definitely recommend to her to try out a grain free diet.

That reminds me of someone else I know, lol. Her dog has serious food allergies, he'd get hot spots all the time, he itched and bit himself till he was bleeding all over. As soon as I heard the first hotspot I recommended to her to switch the dog over to grainfree, she didn't want to because it was expensive. After going to the vet and trying the hypo allergenic diets they have and spending a good few thousand on food, medication, taking him to the dermatologist. The dermatologist told them to start with one meat and go meat by meat until they found a diet that worked, well I guess that was too much work for them so they did a grain free diet and he is totally fine now. lol, sometimes I wish people would listen when you recommend something. naughty

So you guys got mats before feeding grainfree (assuming there may have been a before)? and now that you've switched you don't seem to get them anymore, or as much?

Such an interesting concept!! I think it would be awesome if I could get this cat on a healthier diet as well as help prevent matting. (kill too birds with one stone - so to speak... )
I definitely should have considered this but it didn't even cross my mind.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 9 7:25 pm

Simon & Tony

Clinic Cats

Purred: Mon Mar 5, '12 9:54am PST 
Now that you mention it, I think she might be feeding a grocery store brand. I've mentioned to her that she should get grain free before, but I'm not sure she trusts my opinion on that... (Maybe you know the type?!).

I wouldn't say he is too overweight, he does have a bit of a mouse pouch hanging down though, mol. I wouldn't say that he is overweight that it would effect how he cleans himself.

And, Wow, I have never thought of that! I know that a good diet can help make the fur strong and healthy but I never thought about how that could help prevent mats?! That is definitely an interesting concept.

Maybe I'll try bring it up diet options with them again.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 9 7:25 pm

Simon & Tony

Clinic Cats

Purred: Sun Mar 4, '12 2:07am PST 
Bumpurr, I know just what you mean (drives me nuts too). Every time I go to her place I sit there petting the cat, and inwardly crying for him knowing how much pain he is in... Unfortunately in my situation I can't be rude to her and say that she doesn't deserve to have this cat if she doesn't spend time brushing him everyday. She loves him very much and I can see that... But under the circumstances I don't feel right telling her off.

I have pushed her to brush and comb more, to cut the fur before it gets to the point where it mats a lot, to cut the fur short more often so that it does not need a lion cut every time and since it is so painful just to shave off the mats.

Although I do not have experience with long haired cats so I don't know if there is any other tricks to the trade out there.

About the gravol (the medical ingredient is the same as one in the veterinary world of medicine, some vets recommend it occasionally). I was not a big fan of giving it, and I let them know that I didn't recommend it and that I was against it. I am a vet assistant so I made sure the dose was right, but I know that cats react to these medications different sometimes and the fact that there is a big selection of different types/flavors of gravol out there I was not confident in picking one out... We used it, he did not have any adverse reactions to it (except hating it, trying to spit it out and frothing at the mouth for 5 minutes confused - I know some meds do that though), but we didn't notice it taking much effect either. Anyways its done now... so next time I hope to find a safer alternative.

That's awesome that you guys are show cats!! I admire people who are able to keep their pets perfectly groomed. I admit that it must be hard to keep up with the long haired grooming...

Thanks for posting your advice smile
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Mar 9 7:25 pm

Simon & Tony

Clinic Cats

Purred: Sat Mar 3, '12 2:28am PST 
Oh and he is 4 years old.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Mar 9 7:25 pm

Simon & Tony

Clinic Cats

Purred: Sat Mar 3, '12 2:26am PST 
Thanks so much for the suggestion Flossie! Do you mind posting a link of one that you are talking about? She may have one to a similar description but I an not positive.

We finished up his lion cut tonight, we took our time and let him take a little break every time he got mad. Gave him food while we were shaving which helped a lot! I am definitely not an expert at this and since this is my first time ever shaving a cat I'd say it went pretty well. He wouldn't let me get between his back legs unfortunately, I did most of my shaving just with him standing there to make it less stressful for him.

Lion cut (please excuse the hairy chair, mol)

The owner definitely is more understanding now that she has been there for the process, that it is important to help dematt him since it is so painful, and also so stressful to shave off! I don't believe she has been grooming him very much, maybe once in a blue moon but its hard to say. She is going to 'try' groom him 1-3 times a week from now on... (I know daily is best though...) I don't see them very often otherwise I'd help them out too.

Definitely open to any recommendations I can pass along to them, anything that I can suggest to them to help keep this kitty from painful matts.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Mar 9 7:25 pm

Simon & Tony

Clinic Cats

Purred: Fri Mar 2, '12 1:34am PST 
Ok, I am looking for some tips for cats that easily mat!! This is for a family friend of mine. Every time I go to their place their cat has so many matts, the owner knows they are there and seems to know that they are uncomfortable but isn't able/willing to keep up with it. So first of all I am looking for tips, brushes, detangling sprays? anything that might help them.

They do a lion cut for their cat approximately twice a year (now - after i convinced for them to do it the first time). I don't like that they have to do that because it is an outdoor cat (i didn't know this when i recommended it). Every time they bring him in to the groomer, the groomer says how bad it is and how bad of an owner they are, so they didn't want to have to go through that again.
They asked me to do it this time, and I accepted.

Lets just say this cat is thoroughly matted... I have half shaved him but it takes so long because he is in pain and hissing/scratching because of it. I will be continuing tomorrow. Which comes to my second question, they are wanting to use gravol to calm him down, I have never used gravol before and I was wondering details of it. I read that it is 12.5mg is the cat recommendation dose. but does it matter what kind of tablet we use? Also we tried to give a bit today and he was foaming at the mouth for a few minutes afterward, is that normal? I know some medications do that. it was childrens 15mg (not the full tablet) and cherry flavour.

Any alternative recommendations?

first pic

second pic

thanks
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Mar 9 7:25 pm

Raw Food Diet > getting sick but wanted to start raw...

Blade

Purred: Tue Aug 23, '11 10:48am PST 
They are 3-4 months right now. They seem to be able to eat it, but they don't seem interested in the bone at all. To be honest I have not been smashing it up yet, as I can not find a hammer red face. This is turning out to be a lot of work. I was hoping they'd take to eating it whole... Hopefully they will learn.

When I feed whole, they mainly lick it but they are learning to eat it. But when I feed whole or with bones they drag it away from the bowl across the room meanwhile growling. It's quite the sight actually... Moppie has learnt to stay away while Blade has the food. Blade growls at him from across the room as Moppie watches him eat. And when Blade doesn't want to guard it he'll pick it up and run. laugh out loud Meanwhile I'm trying to keep them off the carpet, but not really succeeding, lol.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Aug 24 5:31 am

Blade

Purred: Sun Aug 21, '11 6:54pm PST 
I don't want to do ground. Yes my thought is to do the frankenprey diet. That is a good idea to smash the bone... I'll have to try that. I cut up the meat in cubes and they ate it that way, but didn't know what to do with the bone.

Thanks
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Aug 24 5:31 am

Kitten Corner > Help, he's biting!!

Merlin

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 5:05pm PST 
Thanks for all the good advice. Every bit helps! smile

What age do cats usually teeth at? It could very well be that he is over excited too. I will be sure to offer more toys and make him play with those if he tries to bite.

Sterling, I loved your story. He has lots of food. Plus its kitten food so it is nice and small and easy to eat, plus canned food as well. He does love his food.

I'm glad to hear you guys grew out of your biting, even when it was bad.

If he is teething, is there toys or anything I can get for him for that? I know for dogs there are but cats are different... I can't imagine teething toys for cats.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 22 8:12 am

Blade

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 4:38pm PST 
I've decided to start, whoohoo!! happy dance

Moppie was all over it licking it and so on. Blade wanted nothing to do with it. I added the liquid from their canned food and put parmesan cheese on it and he was all over it licking it too.

Now, will they graduate from licking to actually eating on their own or shall I try grind it up first so they know to eat it? Or chop it up in small pieces... the only thing would be that I don't think they would eat the bone that way.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by BK, Aug 24 5:31 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.