Postings by Chiquitita's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I am going to Rainbow Bridge
Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 9:09am PST 
Purring for you sweet one...my beloved Fluffy just went to the Bridge today from advanced kidney disease also...much love to your family.

hug

Chiquitita and mommy
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 7:15 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Fluffy is going to the Bridge
Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 6:47am PST 
Today my cousin Fluffy will travel to the bridge. Mommy's eyes are leaking and I don't understand why she keeps hugging me so tightly. Fluffy, was not on Catster, but he was my beautiful cousin. I am now the last of the park cats. Fluffy turned 18 in June- that is a long life for a former park cat. He developed CKD and dimentia in the end his quality of life has not been so good...so, as you were always loved, so too shall you ALWAYS be remembered dearest Fluffy...

hug

Chiquitita and Bandit
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chiquitita, Jul 1 6:47 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > GOODBYE FOO

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 6:37am PST 
Purring for you Foo, and for your family too.

hug

headbonks and sandpaper kisses,
Chiquitia
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Jul 1 6:42 pm

Cat Health > Lily ingestion - :(

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 11:53pm PST 
cheercheercheer So glad she is home!

Headbonks and sandpaper kisses!
Chiquitita and family.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Jun 30 12:15 pm

Cat Health > Shivering

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 10:28am PST 
Thank you for the idea, we will try the computer, but the problem is that the camera (even the one in the phone) has image stabilization and it does not show my shivers. We had the same problem when I was first treated for FHS (which it might be from that as well, except mommy says it does not look the same and the Gabapentin usually controls that as well.)
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 11:42 pm

Cat Health > Shivering
Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 6:40am PST 
Hi Merlin, we did think of that because I don't do it in my sunbeam, however I do, do it on my heated sleeping mat. As for the vet, I don't do it in front of him, so he really isn't sure what is going on. Thanks for the response, at my age it is entirely possible that my circulation isn't what it once was, and I may be cold.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 11:42 pm

Cat Health > Shivering

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 4:49am PST 
Hello everyone, we hope you can help give some ideas as to what might be going on with me. First, I eat, play, and use my litter box as normal. However, often when I lie down I begin to shiver; not constantly like if I were cold, but in short spurts. Now, as many of you may already know, I am on Gabapentin 2 times a day to control my seizures (over 2 years since my last one cheer). I also take treats to help my arthritis and joint swelling. My blood work came back with not much changes from when I had it drawn in late October. Also, for those who don't know me, I'm 17 years old...any ideas what mommy can do to make me more comfortable, or what might be causing this? Mommy is a little concerned they might be partial seizures.

Thanks for any help!
Head bonks and sandpaper kisses,
Chiquitita
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 11:42 pm

Get Well Soon > The New Home of Hazel Lucy's List for Kitties in Need of Purrs

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 2:46am PST 
Purring for everyone in need! Power of the Paw!!!

Hugs, headbonks, and sandpaper kisses to all.

Much love,
Chiquitita and Bandit

hug
[notify]

» There has since been 285 posts. Last posting by Paisley, Aug 9 1:46 pm

Senior Cats > Some Good News!

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Tue Mar 5, '13 12:29am PST 
Hello all of my fellow "old furts"!

This month is the anniversary month of my last seizure; I HAVE BEEN SEIZURE FREE FOR 2 YEARS NOW!!!!!!! partypartycat on mooncheerdancingcloud 9 and we take this time to reflect and say thank you for being there for us. You were all there through the worst of my illness. You supported mommy and sent me light, and healing and above all love. Some of you have traveled over the bridge in these two years, however, you are still in our hearts and out thoughts and we are thankful that you are watching over us. Much love to all, and as always the nippy ball (and nippy mice) are me cheer

Head bonks and sandpaper kisses!
Chiquitita and family
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maizy , Mar 25 3:42 pm

Cat Health > Advice/Tips Full Mouth Extraction due to Stomatitis Gingivitis
Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Jan 12, '13 11:51pm PST 
So sorry you are going through this, and with a furbaby that is so young. We have never had to face this, but I found this article that may be of help and comfort- here is an extract from it and the web address is at the bottom.

How is LPGS treated?

The goal of treatment is to decrease the inflammatory response. If a hypersensitivity to dental plaque is believed to be the major factor in an individual cat’s LPGS, a thorough dental scaling and polishing should be performed. “Plaque control is the cornerstone of therapy” says Dr. Bonnie Shope, a veterinarian at the Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine whose practice is limited to veterinary dentistry. “In some instances, these cats may need a professional dental prophylaxis three or four times a year”. Ideally, cats’ teeth should be brushed regularly after the dental scaling, however, cats with LPGS have mouths that are too painful to tolerate brushing. Oral rinses or gels may be of benefit, but again, many cats find any manipulation of their mouths intolerable. “Home care is an essential part of therapy, if the cat will tolerate it”, says Dr. Shope. Unfortunately, even with thorough dental scaling and subsequent home care, the condition often progresses. Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory steroids are of some benefit in many cats, however, the use of these drugs usually offers only a short-term “fix”. Eventually, most cats become non-responsive to medical treatment and will require extraction of all of the teeth. “Extracting the teeth tends to be the most successful treatment”, says Dr. Shope. In some individual cases, the canine teeth (the “fangs”) may be salvaged, however, they may need to be extracted at a later date if the condition doesn’t improve, or if it worsens over time. In some cases, extraction alone successfully reduces the inflammation and allows the cat to eat and live normally. Clients often worry that their cat won’t be able to eat after full-mouth extraction, however, most cats tolerate extractions very well and can eat moist food readily, with many cats able to crunch on dry food after the extraction sites have fully healed.

Many cats need an occasional short course of anti-inflammatory drugs during flare-ups. Ideally, the anti-inflammatory medication is given orally at initially high doses to control the inflammation, and then the dosage is tapered to the lowest dose that keeps the condition under control. However, as stated above, most cats won’t allow oral administration of medication. In these cases, an injection of a long-acting steroid is often the only alternative. A few cats require continuous administration of anti-inflammatory medications even after all the teeth have been extracted. Such is the case with Maxine, who had most of her teeth extracted when this problem first became apparent. Before her extractions, medical therapy was largely unsuccessful at keeping Maxine comfortable, and she was truly miserable. Although she improved markedly after her extractions, she still requires regular doses of anti-inflammatory medication to keep her mouth relatively pain-free. Other drugs, such as lactoferrin and interferon, have been tried, however, results have been inconsistent. Dr. Shope has had moderate success using cyclosporine, a potent immunosuppressive drug, in some cases. “For cats with LPGS that have improved after extraction but still need other medications to control the condition, I’ve seen some positive results using cyclosporine”, she says.

Management of LPGS can be challenging. Clients need to be aware that the long-term prognosis for a cure is guarded, and that the cat is likely facing a lifetime of frequent veterinary visits and treatments. With vigilant monitoring and conscientious veterinary care, cats with LPGS can live comfortable happy lives.

Sidebar: Possible causes of lymphocytic plasmacytic gingivitis and stomatitis

Hyper-responsiveness – some cats are “plaque intolerant” and develop an exuberant inflammatory response to very small amounts of plaque

Immunosuppression – a weakened immune system, due to viral infections, stress, certain drugs, and environmental factors, may promote development of LPGS

Viral and/or bacterial infection – the feline leukemia virus, feline immunodeficiency virus, feline calicivirus, and bacterial organisms are suspected to play a role in promoting development of LPGS

Genetic predisposition – some breeds are believed to be more susceptible to gingivitis and LPGS than others.

http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/Severe%20Gingivitis -Stomatitis.html

We hope this helps and in the mean time we will be purrring for you!

Sandpaper kisses and gentle headbonks-
hug
Chiquitita and mommy
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chiquitita, Jan 12 11:51 pm

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.